North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Because they sign a retired NFL star to change sports?  Gotta look for the priorities...

And apparently gotta look for the first letter of each sentence in that release.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

An excellent day of soccer in NYC.  I started out watching NYCFC and San Jose in the Bronx at 2, then took the subway down to Coney Island to watch Miami FC steamroller the Cosmos in the first game in their new home at 7. The second game was disappointing for the home crowd, but the park works pretty well. 

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

An excellent day of soccer in NYC.  I started out watching NYCFC and San Jose in the Bronx at 2, then took the subway down to Coney Island to watch Miami FC steamroller the Cosmos in the first game in their new home at 7. The second game was disappointing for the home crowd, but the park works pretty well. 

Props to you for two games in one day thing.

I once saw Raiders@Bills at 1PM and drove to CLE to see Ravens@Browns as the Sunday night ESPN game.

On the MLB side, I did Dodgers day game and Padres night game once. An Angels day game and Padres night game too.

39 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Props to you for two games in one day thing.

I once saw Raiders@Bills at 1PM and drove to CLE to see Ravens@Browns as the Sunday night ESPN game.

On the MLB side, I did Dodgers day game and Padres night game once. An Angels day game and Padres night game too.

Wow - props back to you.  Those are both tougher treks than mine, I only had an hour and change on the subway.  And soccer games are shorter than either baseball or gridiron. 

b2htrqqx7nbwtrmyunj9.gif

Congrats Minnesota!

EDIT:

Also, I see Cubo Torres scored a hat trick today. Good for him! He was really at Chivas USA, got into some stuff with Mexico and was gone all last year. I'm glad to see he's able to be an asset after all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

b2htrqqx7nbwtrmyunj9.gif

Congrats Minnesota!

EDIT:

Also, I see Cubo Torres scored a hat trick today. Good for him! He was really at Chivas USA, got into some stuff with Mexico and was gone all last year. I'm glad to see he's able to be an asset after all.

The moment Christian Ramirez scored his slam-dunk goal, I knew (1) MNUFC were finally going to bag their first win, and (2) Nick Rimando's botched stop would be the moment that gets all the attention.

CCSLC signature.png

No city tax increase for STL soccer stadium.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/election-results-soccer-stadium-defeated-metrolink-sales-tax-passes/article_c30360fe-6ffc-5f40-a296-f9bd4f45c82f.html

Both propositions needed to pass, only one did.

City voters rejected funding for a Major League Soccer stadium and approved a half cent sales tax increase for expanding MetroLink in unofficial final election results Tuesday.

The $60 million public financing plan for the soccer stadium lost by 3,000 votes, with 47 percent of voters supporting it and 53 percent opposed. About 60 percent of voters approved the MetroLink sales tax increase.

Proposition 1 will increase the city sales tax by half a cent on every dollar and put about $12 million annually toward planning and engineering for an 8-mile north-south MetroLink expansion. Proposition 2 would have allocated $60 million to the construction of a 22,000-seat soccer stadium downtown.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Good.   Now maybe the multi-billionaire will use his own money to buy his stadium.  

Doesn't seem like it. He seems done. Shows how committed he really was to the project. Probably best he bows out now if that's the case.

13 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Doesn't seem like it. He seems done. Shows how committed he really was to the project. Probably best he bows out now if that's the case.

Agreed.   If this $60M is the deal-breaker, then they don't have the resources/willingness to spend that comes with an MLS club.  Those teams aren't profitable because they're spending so much on infrastructure, academies, and facilities.

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.   If this $60M is the deal-breaker, then they don't have the resources/willingness to spend that comes with an MLS club.  Those teams aren't profitable because they're spending so much on infrastructure, academies, and facilities.

The lead investor, Paul Edgerley, wasn't local. He grew up in Kansas City and now lives in Boston.

He retired as Managing Director of Bain Capital in 2015 and bought a $31.4M home in West Palm Beach recently, so he has the cash, he just doesn't want to spent all. When you and your wife give Harvard an endowment for the deanship of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences ($600K annual gig), you've got the money.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:24 PM, dfwabel said:

The lead investor, Paul Edgerley, wasn't local. He grew up in Kansas City and now lives in Boston.

He retired as Managing Director of Bain Capital in 2015 and bought a $31.4M home in West Palm Beach recently, so he has the cash, he just doesn't want to spent all. When you and your wife give Harvard an endowment for the deanship of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences ($600K annual gig), you've got the money.

Having the money and being willing to lose the money are two different things. MLS owners have to be willing to take losses or they're a waste of everyone's time.

Rumor is that the St Louis ownership group is falling apart in the wake of Proposition 2's failure. 

At some point, the city should probably stop letting Dave Peacock run these things; that's two significant projects that have crashed and burned on his watch, and this one in particular should have been an absolute slam-dunk. 

The league wanted it, the city wanted it, they had the land and their ownership group was led by an honest-to-goodness billionaire.   How do you screw that up?

So, if St. Louis is falling apart, Indy is pretty much a lock, right? We knew coming into this the league was looking to grow in the Midwest, and I think those two were the only cities who bid.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived