North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

The Loons are looking less and less like MLS laughingstocks every week. With Minnesota's 1-0 home win vs. (Tim Howard-less) Colorado they have achieved:

• Their first clean sheet in MLS (also their first clean first half)
  • Three straight halves (including the second half last week at Houston Dynamo) without conceding a goal, after hemorrhaging goals their first few games
  • Their first MLS point streak (draw last week in Houston, win today)

Miguel Ibarra's goal (and the play that set it up) was a sight to see.

That was a really nice goal.

You would think Colorado would have the advantage there, blending into the MINNESOTA in the box :)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Viper said:

The Loons are looking less and less like MLS laughingstocks every week. With Minnesota's 1-0 home win vs. (Tim Howard-less) Colorado they have achieved:

• Their first clean sheet in MLS (also their first clean first half)
  • Three straight halves (including the second half last week at Houston Dynamo) without conceding a goal, after hemorrhaging goals their first few games
  • Their first MLS point streak (draw last week in Houston, win today)

Miguel Ibarra's goal (and the play that set it up) was a sight to see.

Good to see MUFC not being hot garbage lately.  That was about as rough a 2-game stretch I've ever seen a soccer team have.

Meanwhile, Atlanta United is coming home from a 4-game road trip that saw them play the two finalists from the MLS championship match and two other playoff teams from last season, collecting draws with Seattle and Toronto, a win at Salt Lake (Real is a Spanish term, right?  Why the hell would Salt Lake adopt a Spanish moniker?), and a bullcrap red and a last-minute goal for the loss in Montreal.  A well-earned, hard-fought 5 points on that lengthy road stretch.  First home game in six weeks coming up on Sunday.

12 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Good to see MUFC not being hot garbage lately.  That was about as rough a 2-game stretch I've ever seen a soccer team have.

Meanwhile, Atlanta United is coming home from a 4-game road trip that saw them play the two finalists from the MLS championship match and two other playoff teams from last season, collecting draws with Seattle and Toronto, a win at Salt Lake (Real is a Spanish term, right?  Why the hell would Salt Lake adopt a Spanish moniker?), and a bullcrap red and a last-minute goal for the loss in Montreal.  A well-earned, hard-fought 5 points on that lengthy road stretch.  First home game in six weeks coming up on Sunday.

Well, RSL's stadium also has a Spanish name (Rio Tinto) so there's that. "Real" (i.e. "Royal") doesn't really befit an American club, however. (There's one fan theory that, with Salt Lake City basically being Mormon Central, "Real/Royal" actually refers to Jesus Christ, but more likely RSL's just trying to bask in Real Madrid's reflected glow.)

CCSLC signature.png

Real Salt Lake was basically the owner liked Real Madrid and wanted them to be 'sister clubs' basically. They argued why they chose Real, but it's clear it was Real Madrid. However, for going with the spanish name in general, Salt Lake City does have a surprisingly strong hispanic population and if you went to games at Rice-Eccles, a good number of hispanic fans were there and were the major supporters group as well.

For as corny as their name is, though, it's aged surprisingly well. They have a strong fan base, a great venue south of downtown, and so many people simply shorthand them as RSL that what it stands for just doesn't really matter, honestly.

32 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Real Salt Lake was basically the owner liked Real Madrid and wanted them to be 'sister clubs' basically. They argued why they chose Real, but it's clear it was Real Madrid. However, for going with the spanish name in general, Salt Lake City does have a surprisingly strong hispanic population and if you went to games at Rice-Eccles, a good number of hispanic fans were there and were the major supporters group as well.

For as corny as their name is, though, it's aged surprisingly well. They have a strong fan base, a great venue south of downtown, and so many people simply shorthand them as RSL that what it stands for just doesn't really matter, honestly.

Bingo to all. As a Hispanic Utahan myself, I love the name and feel it's been a strength in relating to the, as you noted, surprisingly strong Hispanic population in both SLC and Provo. It gets a lot of crap, but I don't know of a single fan that cares. It works just fine for us and we love 'em.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's goofy, but like most goofy names (Wild, Predators, Crew), you just get used to them and stop caring. It is funny that they took the inspiration from Real Madrid, but then essentially wear the colors of Barcelona. Of course, we're also now in a league that has three Uniteds (two of which started at the same time) plus a Union, so there's that. 

On 4/16/2017 at 4:53 PM, DG_Now said:

Is that Orlando City song sung to Seasons in the Sun? If so that's pretty cool.

I didn't know the game would be on national Fox yesterday. I only saw the last minute or so but everything looked awesome on TV, including the new Orlando stadium. I wouldn't have picked that city for making MLS work but it's really cool that it is.

Unrelated, Seattle can't score this year and it's distressing.

Yep. It's our winning chant while they blare the music (not the actual song, but just the music) over the speakers (so that way you can actually hear the chants from the supporters, and not just the actual lyrics). We played it once in 2015, Ruckus made a chant for it, and it's been a tradition ever since. There's more lyrics to it, but that's the chorus.

ExJworW.png

On 4/24/2017 at 6:15 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Bingo to all. As a Hispanic Utahan myself, I love the name and feel it's been a strength in relating to the, as you noted, surprisingly strong Hispanic population in both SLC and Provo. It gets a lot of crap, but I don't know of a single fan that cares. It works just fine for us and we love 'em.

Yep. Spent a lot of time in Salt Lake City a decade ago. Saw the Galaxy-RSL game at Rice-Eccles where Beckham played (2-0 game). Even at Rice-Eccles, it was clear that Salt Lake had an affinity for RSL. Only game at Rio Tinto I saw was the All-Star Game (lost to Everton). Great venue. Great fans. And anyone who even thinks about RSL being a stupid name just doesn't get it or doesn't want to get it.  They're still one of the teams in MLS I'll cheer for (Been to a lot of Rapids games, as well).

27 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Yep. Spent a lot of time in Salt Lake City a decade ago. Saw the Galaxy-RSL game at Rice-Eccles where Beckham played (2-0 game). Even at Rice-Eccles, it was clear that Salt Lake had an affinity for RSL. Only game at Rio Tinto I saw was the All-Star Game (lost to Everton). Great venue. Great fans. And anyone who even thinks about RSL being a stupid name just doesn't get it or doesn't want to get it.  They're still one of the teams in MLS I'll cheer for (Been to a lot of Rapids games, as well).

Well yeah, the king of Utah granted his royal patronage to them. What's not to get? 

Just curious. Is there anywhere in the Portland area where the Timbers could build their own stadium if they really wanted to? I know a Portland State Football alum that's been paranoid as hell about the popularity of the Timbers since they joined MLS. Guess he thinks PSU football may get kicked out of the stadium if the Timbers become too powerful and wanted PSU gone lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Just curious. Is there anywhere in the Portland area where the Timbers could build their own stadium if they really wanted to? I know a Portland State Football alum that's been paranoid as hell about the popularity of the Timbers since they joined MLS. Guess he thinks PSU football may get kicked out of the stadium if the Timbers become too powerful and wanted PSU gone lol

Why? They have a 25 year master lease with the city and controls all activities.

19 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

The only reason I could see the Timbers evicting them is if they switched to grass fields. With the Thorns and Portland State as well as the state high school playoffs bringing in money there's no reason to kick the Vikings out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, rickyISking said:

Wow, not much talk about the CONCACAF Champions League final. 

Kinda gets boring watching Liga MX dominate.

If the semi-finals were in the middle of the MLS calendar it might get more attention. As is, starting next year the MLS and Liga MX get byes to the round of 16 so it may mean even less.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived