Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2017

585 posts in this topic

I stand corrected, but the as I stated in page prior, even that Acee piece noted the lease terms may/may not be available for the public to read before Election Day. 

And if that's the case, then the proposal deserves to go down in flames.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, mr.negative15 said:

Care to expand on that thought?

I'm not even necessarily arguing I'm just curious as to why you say this

The MLS teams in Canada are doing OK, but with a league that is going to focus on mostly Canadian rosters, the talent and entertainment level isn't going to be that high, frankly. Plus, MLS has captured the top three markets in the country, so that removes a lot of potential money (and owners) and fans. Attendance for the lower league teams currently in Canada in USL, NASL isn't great either.  

Yes, we have a zillion channels between Sportsnet and TSN, but I can't seem them putting money into covering the league. Hell, most of the time the same crap is on all the channels at the same time!

We had a Canadian pro league before and it flamed out after five years. I hope this one does well and helps produce more pro players for Canada, but I'll reserve judgement until they have more than 2 teams announced and have impressive deep pocketed owners. It will also be very interesting if they'll be able to balance developing Canadian talent with the $$$ potential of bringing in foreign players. 

1 person likes this

The Cosmos fans I know are pretty pissed off right now, as their mighty club got bounced out of the US Open Cup by an amateur team, and they're now off to the Middle East to play a friendly in Riyadh (that they rescheduled an NASL game for).  

IMG_2536.JPG

This has fueled speculation that Sela Sports still has an ownership stake in the club, not to mention the bad feelings that winning over NYC isn't really their priority.