North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy :censored:

What a strike from Bradley! What a play. The step up at midfield, the push forward, the quick look up, the placement. Perfect.

Only the 6th American to score against Mexico at the Azteca. Wow.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 6/11/2017 at 9:26 PM, BlackBolt3 said:

Thought for a good while that they were gonna get the full 3 points for a little while, but any result in Azteca is great.

A lot of the fun of sports is tricking ourselves into expecting the best. The fun of soccer is knowing that you can get a draw and feel okay about it. 

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

News from SD City Council. They voted 5-4 to reject a November 2017 special election.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jun/12/san-diego-city-council-vote-special-election/

That one was for the convention center. 

While the convention center plan is going back to the drawing board, the impact on SoccerCity is less clear. Well over 100,000 registered voters signed petitions in favor of the plan to replace Qualcomm Stadium with a smaller facility for soccer and college football, so the council next week will be tasked with deciding to adopt the plan or put it before voters.

The question of when it would go before the public would be determined at another time, according to the City Attorney's Office.

6 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

A lot of the fun of sports is tricking ourselves into expecting the best. The fun of soccer is knowing that you can get a draw and feel okay about it. 

I'm waiting for the day where Atlanta United gets a draw at home, just to see how I'd feel about it.  I was never unlucky enough to see a tie hockey game in person.

3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I'm waiting for the day where Atlanta United gets a draw at home, just to see how I'd feel about it.  I was never unlucky enough to see a tie hockey game in person.

In my experience it depends on the context of the draw. Giving up a late goal to gain one point instead of three is demoralizing, while coming back from a deficit to get a draw can feel pretty great. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That one was for the convention center. 

But as Brian indicated, if they override the mayor's veto today, it all boils down to next Monday. To find the $5M for the election, the mayor took out monies from the districts of the opposing council members.

Has this been covered?

http://www.nisaofficial.com/

Here's an article from SBI

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/06/national-independent-soccer-association-set-to-launch-in-2018

The league, which will be affiliated with the NASL and NPSL, will seek sanctioning this summer from U.S. Soccer.

Wilt described the league as having four main pillars: One of which is incorporating promotion and relegation once the league reached its targeted 24 teams, and having a strong league office.

Have at it.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

What about a 0-0 draw?

Again, it depends. If your team has been dominating but they just can't score any goals, then a scoreless draw feels like a crushing loss.  But if the run of play has been even, or was clearly against your club, if your keeper stood on his head to keep it level, then the draw can feel like a win. 

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

FC Cincinnati released stadium renderings

No location has been chosen as of yet. 

True, but it's looking as though Newport in northern Kentucky is their preferred spot.

They also haven't revealed how much public money they're looking for.  They've been touting their $250M "investment" in Cincinnati, but are apparently including the $150M expansion in that number.  Which really ought to be a deal-breaker.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Again, it depends. If your team has been dominating but they just can't score any goals, then a scoreless draw feels like a crushing loss.  But if the run of play has been even, or was clearly against your club, if your keeper stood on his head to keep it level, then the draw can feel like a win. 

"Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" is a great documentary about how a tie can feel like a win or loss. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

FC Cincinnati released stadium renderings

No location has been chosen as of yet. 

I saw this as well. Just about to post it. They mentioned possible sites in Over The Rhine (just Northwest of Downtown Cincy), Oakley (just Northeast of Downtown Cincy) and Newport, KY (just across the river from Downtown Cincy). Pretty ambitious. 

Archived