Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2017

724 posts in this topic

Why is MLS bothering to market this as rivalry week when most of the matches are definitely not rivalry based? Unless there's some deep-seeded hatred between Chicago and Orlando that I'm not aware of. 

40 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Why is MLS bothering to market this as rivalry week when most of the matches are definitely not rivalry based? Unless there's some deep-seeded hatred between Chicago and Orlando that I'm not aware of. 

Part of this is TV since it is late June and there are needs. Plus global soccer is generally in a break now.

Cincinnati’s averaging nearly 20,000 per game in the USL. Half of MLS can’t say that. They just drew 30,000 for an Open Cup match. That’s a market ready for MLS, and one the league needs to get in as soon as it can. We know what Sacramento’s shown, too.

I’m trying to read between the lines a little, but I think Newport is probably a done deal as soon as the club wants it to be. Obviously, they’re trying with Cincinnati first, but I just don’t think they would’ve publicized the Newport option if they knew it wasn’t a near-sure-fire bet.

Sacramento should be a lock for the end of the year, and if Cincinnati can finalize their stadium plans in the next few months (not sure if it will or not), they should be, too. They’re the clear two best soccer markets not yet in the league, and franchises in either city would absolutely be successes.

12 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Cincinnati’s averaging nearly 20,000 per game in the USL. Half of MLS can’t say that. They just drew 30,000 for an Open Cup match. That’s a market ready for MLS, and one the league needs to get in as soon as it can. We know what Sacramento’s shown, too.

I’m trying to read between the lines a little, but I think Newport is probably a done deal as soon as the club wants it to be. Obviously, they’re trying with Cincinnati first, but I just don’t think they would’ve publicized the Newport option if they knew it wasn’t a near-sure-fire bet.

Sacramento should be a lock for the end of the year, and if Cincinnati can finalize their stadium plans in the next few months (not sure if it will or not), they should be, too. They’re the clear two best soccer markets not yet in the league, and franchises in either city would absolutely be successes.

Ownership says that they're willing to put up $100M for the stadium.  If it's built in Newport, the ownership gets at least 25% of that back over ten years guaranteed.