Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2017

593 posts in this topic

Does next year's Gold Cup really need 14 venues?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/19/concacaf-announce-2017-gold-cup-venues-usa-and-mexico-group-schedule

Alamodome better have better grass than their last USMNT match.

Group A (seeded team TBD)

Friday, July 7: Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
Tuesday, July 11: BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas
Friday, July 14: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas

Group B (United States)

Saturday, July 8: Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
Wednesday, July 12: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla.
Saturday, July 15: FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio

Group C (Mexico)

Sunday, July 9: Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, Calif.
Thursday, July 13: Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Denver, Colo.
Sunday, July 16: The Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas

Knockout round venues (Specific games TBD)

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz.
Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, Calif.
The Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Calif.
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa.
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas

If the Rowdies got in I would be a bit conflicted. I would never stop supporting Orlando City, it would be the only case where my primary team wasn't the Tampa Bay area team.

16 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Does next year's Gold Cup really need 14 venues?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/19/concacaf-announce-2017-gold-cup-venues-usa-and-mexico-group-schedule

Alamodome better have better grass than their last USMNT match.

Group A (seeded team TBD)

Friday, July 7: Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
Tuesday, July 11: BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas
Friday, July 14: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas

Group B (United States)

Saturday, July 8: Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
Wednesday, July 12: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla.
Saturday, July 15: FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio

Group C (Mexico)

Sunday, July 9: Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, Calif.
Thursday, July 13: Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Denver, Colo.
Sunday, July 16: The Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas

Knockout round venues (Specific games TBD)

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz.
Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, Calif.
The Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Calif.
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa.
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas

Nothing wrong with trying to spread the love around. I mean what's the downside, less people get to see soccer in person?

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Nothing wrong with trying to spread the love around. I mean what's the downside, less people get to see soccer in person?

Unnecessary travel, especially for the knockout rounds. 

6 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Unnecessary travel, especially for the knockout rounds. 

Counterpoint, all the teams have to do it so it shouldn't have any real impact on overall fairness of the competition.

1 person likes this

Lame that CenturyLink isn't included. Doubly lame that Alamodome still is. Based on the conditions last time, it should be permanently out of the rotation.

I get that Seattle was less than half full during Haiti/Peru during Copa America, but that was true of many stadiums hosting unappealing matchups at inflated prices. But given Seattle's support of soccer, it's a little annoying to see the usual suspects (Rose Bowl, Lincoln, U of Phoenix, Lego) hosting games that we're not. At the very least, three venues in California and none in the PNW seems excessive.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Lame that CenturyLink isn't included. Doubly lame that Alamodome still is. Based on the conditions last time, it should be permanently out of the rotation.

I get that Seattle was less than half full during Haiti/Peru during Copa America, but that was true of many stadiums hosting unappealing matchups at inflated prices. But given Seattle's support of soccer, it's a little annoying to see the usual suspects (Rose Bowl, Lincoln, U of Phoenix, Lego) hosting games that we're not. At the very least, three venues in California and none in the PNW seems excessive.

How so? All 3 California venues are in completely different markets, all of which draw ridiculously well. Texas has 3 venues as well for the record in this thing.

But I will agree, the PNW deserved a game too. And if it were to get one the Alamodome game given the crappy conditions seems the logical game to have given them.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Mariners are home the first weekend of the tournament and from July 20-30 when the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets all come to town. 

3 people like this

Aren't Pasadena and San Diego close enough to each other? I'm assuming Mexico will be maneuvered into the Rose Bowl; 100,000 people will come from the broader Southern California region, won't they?

Although, taking a closer look, I see USA and Mexico are headlining football stadiums. Group A (Costa Rica maybe?) has smaller venues. I'd swap one of the Texas stadiums for Portland and call it good.

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Aren't Pasadena and San Diego close enough to each other? I'm assuming Mexico will be maneuvered into the Rose Bowl; 100,000 people will come from the broader Southern California region, won't they?

Although, taking a closer look, I see USA and Mexico are headlining football stadiums. Group A (Costa Rica maybe?) has smaller venues. I'd swap one of the Texas stadiums for Portland and call it good.

San Diego and Pasadena are 140 miles apart in two separate markets. That's like asking isn't Red Bull Arena close enough to Philadelphia?

But I agree, the use of Portland instead of Frisco for Group A might have made some sense. Unless they were aiming to draw fans of the teams in Group A. I think that's the big issue of why they use Texas and California for these games, more fans from (or descended from those from) Latin America in those markets than in the PNW. Group B would have been the best bet for the PNW in that regard. Swap out Raymond James for Centurylink...

So long as we're not left out of World Cup 2022, I'll be OK.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

How so? All 3 California venues are in completely different markets, all of which draw ridiculously well. Texas has 3 venues as well for the record in this thing.

But I will agree, the PNW deserved a game too. And if it were to get one the Alamodome game given the crappy conditions seems the logical game to have given them.

If they don't require grass, I would expect to see the Alamodome go with turf. But most likely it'll be grass anyways. I'm avoiding it because I don't want to deal with Mexican fans since I'd most definitely wear my USA jersey. They're bad enough on Sunday league without the beer. I might go to Houston though since it'll be most likely Costa Rica, Jamaica and two teams that are there to get stomped on. 

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

So long as we're not left out of World Cup 2022, I'll be OK.

Since when was the PNW in Qatar?

3 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Since when was the PNW in Qatar?

Well, prior to the great morass that has been 2016 you'd think global moral forces would push the World Cup out of a hostile environment propped up by slave labor. But we seem to be heading in the other direction, so who knows.

Just now, DG_Now said:

Well, prior to the great morass that has been 2016 you'd think global moral forces would push the World Cup out of a hostile environment propped up by slave labor. But we seem to be heading in the other direction, so who knows.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point even the new "Sepp free" FIFA has no intention of moving the WC from Qatar. As for global moral forces, you're right, any thought that such a thing actually existed died in 2016 along with half the famous people...

3 people like this

57 minutes ago, Norva said:

MLS releases it's first weekend/home openers schedule:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/21/mls-announces-2017-home-openers-all-22-clubs-season-kicks-march-3

Seasons starts on March 3 with Minnesota United at the Portland Timbers. Orlando City opens their new stadium against NYCFC on the 5th.

Wow San Jose finally got a Saturday night home opener. It's a miracle!

6 hours ago, Norva said:

Seasons starts on March 3 with Minnesota United at the Portland Timbers.

tumblr_nmmg2rKUwN1u4539po1_500.gif

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Norva said:

MLS releases it's first weekend/home openers schedule:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/21/mls-announces-2017-home-openers-all-22-clubs-season-kicks-march-3

Seasons starts on March 3 with Minnesota United at the Portland Timbers. Orlando City opens their new stadium against NYCFC on the 5th.

Okay, we get it MLS. NYCFC and OC are the two 2015 expansion teams. That does not mean we are hated rivals. The only true "rival" I feel we are going to make is Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville/Ft. Lauderdale (basically whichever city gets the second Florida team) and maybe Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Okay, we get it MLS. NYCFC and OC are the two 2015 expansion teams. That does not mean we are hated rivals. The only true "rival" I feel we are going to make is Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville/Ft. Lauderdale (basically whichever city gets the second Florida team) and maybe Atlanta.

I am looking forward to Atlanta in the league, it makes a reasonable road trip for a game, and I plan to drive up and catch an OCSC in Atlanta for my first road MLS experience. Another Florida team would be fantastic.