North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

I'm curious how much being in Newport, KY will affect Cincinnati's drawing power, if at all. It's just across the river from downtown Cincinnati, right? Because if so, I would suspect they'll do just fine there. Here in Central Arkansas, they ended up building the new arena and new minor league ballpark across the Arkansas River from downtown Little Rock, and it's worked out swimmingly. In fact, it's helped improve North Little Rock's side of the river quite a bit. 

Maybe somebody with a better understanding of the culture in and around Cincinnati (since I have no understanding) can clarify if it would really be much of an issue. I'm also assuming they'd be building on the riverfront, as close to Cincinnati as possible, and that might be wrong as well. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm curious how much being in Newport, KY will affect Cincinnati's drawing power, if at all. It's just across the river from downtown Cincinnati, right? Because if so, I would suspect they'll do just fine there. Here in Central Arkansas, they ended up building the new arena and new minor league ballpark across the Arkansas River from downtown Little Rock, and it's worked out swimmingly. In fact, it's helped improve North Little Rock's side of the river quite a bit. 

Maybe somebody with a better understanding of the culture in and around Cincinnati (since I have no understanding) can clarify if it would really be much of an issue. I'm also assuming they'd be building on the riverfront, as close to Cincinnati as possible, and that might be wrong as well. 

The Newport site is a 13 acre parcel of land which at the confluence of the Licking and Ohio Rivers with direct views of downtown Cincinnati.  It is south of the Taylor-Southgate Bridge, so it's gotta be the greenspace to the right of the Corporex point and the Licking River since the land is part of their Ovation project.

2017-07-17 (2)

The corner of Central and 4th is where they had it when the three locations were revealed.

DCJ5nWzWsAMq8Ug.jpg_small

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

For all intents and purposes, it might as well be Cincinnati — and will work better as a site probably than at least one of the ones actually in the city.

6fQjS3M.png

Well shoot, they already have city's (& region's) airport over there...what's a new SSS gonna hurt?!? :P

(With that said, though...KYDOT and ODOT had better hurry up and finish whatever it is they're doing with the 71/75 river bridge PRONTO.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 7/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, Red Wolf said:

Kinda off-topic, but I'd been curious about that for quite some time, now. For much of the past year I've been out in Arkansas at least once per month for work, and  much as I've gotten to know LR and NLR over that time (mostly south LR, Mabelvale, Otter Creek, west LR and the area of NLR around McCain Mall), seeing as how both the Verizon Center and the Travs' new park are both on the NLR side of the water, I could never tell if some type of undercurrent of a rivalry might exist between the two sides. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Just now, Buc said:

Kinda off-topic, but I'd been curious about that for quite some time, now. For much of the past year I've been out in Arkansas at least once per month for work, and  much as I've gotten to know LR and NLR over that time (mostly south LR, Mabelvale, Otter Creek, west LR and the area of NLR around McCain Mall), seeing as how both the Verizon Center and the Travs' new park are both on the NLR side of the water, I could never tell if some type of undercurrent of a rivalry might exist between the two sides. 

Hey, I live just down the road from McCain in Sherwood. There's definitely a historic rivalry between the two, going back to when the residents on the north side of the river broke away from Little Rock to found North Little Rock. NLR's nickname is Dogtown, which allegedly comes from Little Rock residents dumping stray dogs on the north side of the river. That story is probably just a legend, but there you go. 

When Verizon Arena and Dickey-Stephens Park both ended up on the NLR side of the river there was definitely a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Little Rock folks, but it's close enough that nobody makes an issue about it anymore. And like I said, having both of those has really helped improve NLR's downtown in recent years, while LR's has continued to grow and improve without. 

14 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Hey, I live just down the road from McCain in Sherwood. There's definitely a historic rivalry between the two, going back to when the residents on the north side of the river broke away from Little Rock to found North Little Rock. NLR's nickname is Dogtown, which allegedly comes from Little Rock residents dumping stray dogs on the north side of the river. That story is probably just a legend, but there you go. 

When Verizon Arena and Dickey-Stephens Park both ended up on the NLR side of the river there was definitely a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Little Rock folks, but it's close enough that nobody makes an issue about it anymore. And like I said, having both of those has really helped improve NLR's downtown in recent years, while LR's has continued to grow and improve without. 

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't heard the "Dogtown" nickname yet...I'm gonna have to ask some folk about that when I get back out there (which actually will be tomorrow and Friday). And while I'm out there I may have to scout out some territory/distributors on the north side. (My company is in the process of expanding its territory, and Arkansas has long been on its radar, which is part of why I've been making these monthly delivery trips. Shoot, my current branch manager came from Little Rock. I know all about south side LR, not as much about Sherwood or  rest of NLR--but I do know where that is.) And one of these days I got to go check out that River Market--I been waiting to forever, now; I just always see it in passing.

1 hour ago, winters in buffalo said:

Yesterday, NCFC released plans for a potential downtown Raleigh stadium, as part of their MLS bid. 

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article162561493.html

NCFC17_Stadium_Rendering

Yeah, it's pretty.  But they don't own the land or have the funding for it, so they're not yet a serious bid. 

Attended an LA Galaxy game at StubHub Center Wednesday night, while on vacation. 

59737d685b8f1_23.LAGalaxyatStubhubCenter.thumb.jpg.e20e926bd00cb506300e836912476c54.jpg

A few observations:

1. As you can see in the above photo, pretty low attendance; I gotta think it was because if the Wednesday night situation. Compare to the Saturday afternoon game I attended last year in Portland, which was PACKED.

2. Unimpressed with the stadium-- nice sightlines and all, but the concourses, amenities and level of "finish" (lots of painted cinderblock), as well as choices in food and beverage all seemed very basic and a bit lacking. The Red Bulls' stadium in New Jersey was much nicer (but in the middle of nowhere, not that StubHub's Carson location is any better).

3.  Looks like temporary bleachers are set up in the end zone for Chargers games this fall; that area is listed in the regular seating map as "grass berm".  Still can't believe an NFL team is going to spend 2 seasons in this (comparative) band box. Though with the Chargers being the Chargers, I think they STILL won't be able to fill it.

4. At least the stadium has nice sunsets:

59737ea9ef65e_24.Beautifulsunsetatsoccergame.thumb.jpg.6920703c2e05eb2e592605f822000870.jpg

(you can see the temporary aluminum bleachers in this shot, too)

It is what it is.

I think my favorite 2017 sports story is that the NFL LA Chargers are going to play at StubHub Center. It's really the best thing that could happen to a terrible franchise in an increasingly terrible sport.

Doesn't it kind of feel like LAFC is going to eat the Galaxy's lunch?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Attended an LA Galaxy game at StubHub Center Wednesday night, while on vacation. 

[images removed for space purposes]

A few observations:

1. As you can see in the above photo, pretty low attendance; I gotta think it was because if the Wednesday night situation. Compare to the Saturday afternoon game I attended last year in Portland, which was PACKED.

2. Unimpressed with the stadium-- nice sightlines and all, but the concourses, amenities and level of "finish" (lots of painted cinderblock), as well as choices in food and beverage all seemed very basic and a bit lacking. The Red Bulls' stadium in New Jersey was much nicer (but in the middle of nowhere, not that StubHub's Carson location is any better).

3.  Looks like temporary bleachers are set up in the end zone for Chargers games this fall; that area is listed in the regular seating map as "grass berm".  Still can't believe an NFL team is going to spend 2 seasons in this (comparative) band box. Though with the Chargers being the Chargers, I think they STILL won't be able to fill it.

4. At least the stadium has nice sunsets:

[images removed for space purposes]

(you can see the temporary aluminum bleachers in this shot, too)

Portland is always packed. I really want to make it up there for a game sometime. 

The Chargers in the StubHub Center is going to be something else. I never thought we'd see an NFL team playing in a smaller stadium than when the Tennessee Oilers played at the Liberty Bowl and Vanderbilt Stadium. 

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

No pics, but did see the LAFC stadium under construction yesterday, on the site of the old arena.  That central location should definitely help with attendance.

It is what it is.

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

There's gonna be a newness factor at play, but the team still must field a competent squad from the jump.

26 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

No pics, but did see the LAFC stadium under construction yesterday, on the site of the old arena.  That central location should definitely help with attendance.

It'll help those far north of Carson, on the 405, but there's now a basic "dividing line" which could be muddled up more for the Galaxy if San Diego receives a franchise themselves.

I was in the east coast for a week last week, and have no idea how people can stand 9 and 10 PM starts.

Howard has had two key saves tonight that Guzan most definitely would not have. Nice goal from Dempsey/Altidore.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I didn't think Dempsey's rough style of play would let him play after the 2010 World Cup.  Not only did he play in 2014, but I assume he'll be asked to play for the 2018 team should they make it.  He's simply incredible.  Now I don't know if he can handle 90 minutes per game, but bring him on for 30-45...he'll scare the crap out of the other side. 

When Atlanta United played Seattle earlier this season, Dempsey was simply glorious for the one half of the game he played.

Yeah, Dempsey is just a goal hound, and I mean that in the best way possible. It seems like every time he gets the ball at his foot, there's a scoring opportunity. 

I did find find it funny how he ran off and celebrated his goal almost immediately after the ball left his foot. He's just got that knack, I guess.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

15 hours ago, B-Rich said:

I'd assume the bleachers were still up from the Manchester United match last Saturday. I doubt they'd have those up for the Chargers already, but who knows.

They'll fill it. With a lot of other colors besides blue and yellow.

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think my favorite 2017 sports story is that the NFL LA Chargers are going to play at StubHub Center. It's really the best thing that could happen to a terrible franchise in an increasingly terrible sport.

I know you've been fully behind this from the start, because that's your wont. But personally, I think this thing will end up being an embarrassment for the Chargers. Sure, fans will get an intimate and up close experience with the Chargers, but it'll be the other teams' fans. Not the thread for this discussion, but that's my quick thought.

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Totally. There's going to be the difference of being an MLS franchise in Los Angeles County and being Los Angeles' MLS franchise.

LAFC looks and feels like they're doing all the right things (including aligning themselves with the USL's Orange County SC, coming at the Galaxy from the South and a grassroots level). I've seen more casual LAFC hats than I have of any sort of Galaxy merch, including the Beckham years. I can't wait to see it in action.

Yes, the Galaxy have been winners and have always brought in the star talent, but, idk, there's never felt like there's that much there there. If LAFC can make themselves compelling out of the gate, the Galaxy might be on their way to being the MLS Chargers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived