North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So LAFC begins next season, and Austin would move to the Western Conference in 2019, I'd assume.  Does this mean the next round of expansion goes East for two teams?  I think Houston (or Chicago) would keep switching back and forth between East and West over the years when a new team came on, but Chicago's already East and highly doubt they'd put Houston back in the East with Austin staying West.

Kansas City will get pushed to the East like they were when Portland and Seattle came in if both teams are in the West. They sit on that invisible line between the conferences. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Do you think if Precourt moves the team to Austin, Columbus would get an expansion team?

Who knows how people will feel in a couple years when the wounds heal, but my sense is no. I can't say for certain, but my feeling is the league doesn't want to be in business with Columbus and Columbus, both city officials and fans, will definitely want nothing to do with a league that's doing them this dirty. My guess is city officials are somewhat relieved they won't have to go through the rigmarole of getting a new stadium built for the Crew and really won't care to do it for an expansion team. It would take some very special circumstances like a Columbus based billionaire such as Les Wexner to decide he like soccer and wants to pay for his own stadium. Wexner doesn't seem much interested in sports though. 

Also, if Cincinnati gets a MLS team you can forget about Columbus ever rejoining the league, which is a shame because both of these cities in the same league would've been dynamite. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Do you think if Precourt moves the team to Austin, Columbus would get an expansion team?

Not a chance. They'd have to rush a packet in that meets MLS requirements and pay the $200 million fee. If the Crew leave I think the city will say screw it and find another use for Mapfre, probably using it for high school or local college football and the rock on the River concerts. That this guy was talking to Austin as long as three years ago tells me he just needs the land to be given to him so he can start building. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Not a chance. They'd have to rush a packet in that meets MLS requirements and pay the $200 million fee. If the Crew leave I think the city will say screw it and find another use for Mapfre, probably using it for high school or local college football and the rock on the River concerts. That this guy was talking to Austin as long as three years ago tells me he just needs the land to be given to him so he can start building. 

So where in the infrastructure and urban planning nightmare that is Austin is he getting this land?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

So where in the infrastructure and urban planning nightmare that is Austin is he getting this land?

Good question. I'm not familiar with Austin but I know that he wants it downtown and built with private funds, so he'll be dealing with some local opposition depending on where he wants to build. So I think part of his plan is for one of the Austin investors to "donate" the land or sell it to him. Or he could do a deal with Austin Community College to build on their campus like StubHub Center was. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wouldn't Austin present the same problems as Columbus but worse? They're both state capital college towns that grew too fast for their own good and have outsize college sports programs that dominate the landscape.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wouldn't Austin present the same problems as Columbus but worse? They're both state capital college towns that grew too fast for their own good and have outsize college sports programs that dominate the landscape.

Not only that, they'll literally be set up right next to the football stadium while they play at UT. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So, there has to be a relocation fee, right?  Otherwise Garber is a goddamn moron, because this has clearly been in the works for years, and if I bought an expansion team in the last few years I am going to be VERY pissed off.  Same if I'm looking to buy in now.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, rams80 said:

So, there has to be a relocation fee, right?  Otherwise Garber is a goddamn moron, because this has clearly been in the works for years, and if I bought an expansion team in the last few years I am going to be VERY pissed off.  Same if I'm looking to buy in now.

If they are truly single-entity, there shouldn't be a relocation fee as the operator is already in the investor group.

So you're saying Arthur Blank and Bill McGuire are going straight to voicemail for awhile, right?

Today, we are all otaku.

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's what I don't get. Austin and Columbus are remarkably similar cities except Columbus already has a playable stadium and 20 years of fanbase equity. All the hurdles you have to go through in Columbus to get a new stadium are also present in Austin. It's not like he's moving the team to a larger city. I'll laugh my face off if he moves to Austin and then can't secure funding for a new stadium. It's really what he and MLS deserve. 

Maybe he just really likes bachelorette parties, pedal wagons, and faux craft beer (which we have more than enough of in Columbus)?

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Maybe he just really likes bachelorette parties, pedal wagons, and faux craft beer (which we have more than enough of in Columbus)?

I know it's not the point of the thread but...huh?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Austin has become the go-to place for Basics to have their bachelorette party. If Instagram was a city it'd be Austin, Texas. 

Maybe if Nashville gets a team, they can battle for the right to be called the Bachelorette Party Capital of America. 

Just now, Red Wolf said:

Maybe if Nashville gets a team, they can battle for the right to be called the Bachelorette Party Capital of America. 

The Canteven Cup!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

That's what I don't get. Austin and Columbus are remarkably similar cities except Columbus already has a playable stadium and 20 years of fanbase equity. All the hurdles you have to go through in Columbus to get a new stadium are also present in Austin. It's not like he's moving the team to a larger city. I'll laugh my face off if he moves to Austin and then can't secure funding for a new stadium. It's really what he and MLS deserve. 

In stretching my benefit of the doubt as far as I can, all I can think of is that Austin maybe has more growth potential particularly in MLS-friendly demographics. And it's a whole extra hour from Houston, as opposed to Columbus's drive to Cincinnati, assuming that city's expansion bid is approved.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

In stretching my benefit of the doubt as far as I can, all I can think of is that Austin maybe has more growth potential particularly in MLS-friendly demographics. And it's a whole extra hour from Houston, as opposed to Columbus's drive to Cincinnati, assuming that city's expansion bid is approved.

This is what he's banking on. The idea that Texas has more Latinos = more people who'd watch MLS soccer. At least in MLS's mind that's how it's supposed to work. The distance part is immaterial. It's only 2 hours between Columbus and Cincinnati. 

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Since he's apparently been talking for over three years according to some people on the inside, i think he's pretty confident what he wants is all but guaranteed. The temporary stadium though . . . Unless they're going to add those giant parasols over the stands, I don't see any big crowds in Austin unless all their games are at night. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived