North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not buying my next new or used Honda from that guy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

member_headshot_anthony_precourt1.jpg.1091d7b2892942d6909022b765afa234.jpg

HI I'M SMUG

Are supporter's scarves strong enough to support the weight of a full grown, resisting, adult male when hung from a tree?  Asking for a friend.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

35 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Well, to steer the discussion away from the advocating of lynching somebody....

Atlanta is being awarded the 2018 MLS All-Star Game and subsequent festivities.  It'd be more awesome if Manchester United gets the invite to participate!

i appriceate the information. now BACK TO THE LYNCHING

red-hot-banner.png

San Diego unveiled their NASL expansion identity today. The club has been named "1904 FC," not because 1904 is a significant year in city history, but because "S" is the 19th letter of the alphabet, and "D" is the 4th letter of the alphabet. I hope the whole league burns to the ground before they play a game. We can't even do Euro-poseur properly in this country anymore.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd have preferred AC Whale Vagina.

4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Well, to steer the discussion away from the advocating of lynching somebody....

Atlanta is being awarded the 2018 MLS All-Star Game and subsequent festivities.  It'd be more awesome if Manchester United gets the invite to participate!

United will probably be in Asia or Africa next year. It's still possible they could be in the States. With a World Cup year it'll be a weaker travel squad for most teams.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I was thinking a little more about this on my drive into work today.

Besides for the fact that, with all the expansion teams coming in, there should be plenty of money for him to upgrade the stadium or build a new one what about these factors;

I'm not sure how long the stadium sponsorship with Mapfre goes for but there must be a fee to break that, right?

I do know that the Crew agreed to rent the land from the city until 2020 (or maybe it was 2022? I forget the year) Regardless, breaking that lease will cost money too.

While I won't pretend to know what the costs would be how on earth does moving the team make any sense economically? 

Plus, isn't Austin (and I don't pretend to know anything about Austin) a very similar city in the fact that it's a university town that has a huge football following? Aren't they similar in population size too? Last I checked the minor league soccer teams didn't have much success in Austin either. This all sounds like I'm dumping on Austin and I don't mean to, I'm sure it's a nice city but I just am failing to see any advantage. 

/end rant

Essentially, Austin is the same. It's the capital. Home to a major state university that is beloved beyond the city's borders, where they will always be a second class citizen.

I'm just curious that MLS is okaying this. San Antonio always seemed like the 'better option'. It's clear they're not getting an NFL team now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas. MLS couldn't have two teams that close competing each other in this type of market. New York or LA, fine. New York and Boston okay. Even Tampa Bay-Orlando. I just don't see how the 'sprawlopolis' that is I-35 from SA to Austin and north toward Temple is going to have one team and place it in the city that won't care about it at all and for the other city to be miffed they got passed over.

12 hours ago, Digby said:

Maybe i'm giving them too much credit, but I can't fathom anyone involved in MLS still thinking "1. go to a heavily Latino area. 2. ???? 3. profit" is the way to do things. 

They once did. They won't again

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

6 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Essentially, Austin is the same. It's the capital. Home to a major state university that is beloved beyond the city's borders, where they will always be a second class citizen.

I'm just curious that MLS is okaying this. San Antonio always seemed like the 'better option'. It's clear they're not getting an NFL team now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas. MLS couldn't have two teams that close competing each other in this type of market. New York or LA, fine. New York and Boston okay. Even Tampa Bay-Orlando. I just don't see how the 'sprawlopolis' that is I-35 from SA to Austin and north toward Temple is going to have one team and place it in the city that won't care about it at all and for the other city to be miffed they got passed over.

I guess the other argument is that Austin is the largest metro in the US without a pro team. Which is fair enough. But I find it verrry hard to believe that Columbus's woes, to whatever extent they exist, are there because the friggin Blue Jackets are sucking all the air out of the room.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

https://twitter.com/danpearlman/status/921057671805054976

I don't know how to embed a tweet here. Anyways, apparently people have been asking for a refund on their 2018 season seats in Columbus and the answer is "no".

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I guess the other argument is that Austin is the largest metro in the US without a pro team. Which is fair enough. But I find it verrry hard to believe that Columbus's woes, to whatever extent they exist, are there because the friggin Blue Jackets are sucking all the air out of the room.

The fanbases for the Jackets and Crew seldom overlap to any meaningful extent. Hell, the Crew face stiffer competition from the Clippers in terms of 'market share'. They're both 'family friendly' and 'cheap' games. It's just once the Clippers moved to the arena district, their popularity has exploded. And they only moved a few miles, too and got a beautiful 'miniature major league stadium'. That's essentially what the Crew want.

Is it right or wrong? Probably wrong. The stadium they're in has life left in it. When Crew Stadium was built, I don't think anybody at the time realized exactly what it meant for the future of MLS. Now, the entire operating philosophy is to have your own stadium with all the suites, club seats, party decks, etc where you make all the money off concessions, signage, alcohol, etc. The problem is that boom, which Crew Stadium started, has passed them by. Crew have stagnated as a 'rinky dink team in a rinky dink league' to those in Columbus. If Columbus never had a team and suddenly got a team this year with a brand new high end stadium, I think the fan support would be astronomical. Instead, they're always going to be what they were in 96.

It's interesting that the fans that they do have have always taken it as a badge of honor 'America's Hardest Working Team', the simple, industrial-looking stadium, the first to get their own stadium, etc. But today it's just not enough. it's like Ebbets Field. The Dodgers may have been beloved, but it was a small antiquated stadium with major drawbacks and a shiny jewel of a new untapped market is going to draw the owner's attention.

4 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

https://twitter.com/danpearlman/status/921057671805054976

I don't know how to embed a tweet here. Anyways, apparently people have been asking for a refund on their 2018 season seats in Columbus and the answer is "no".

You just need to wait and let the forum do its magic once you cut/paste the Twitter link. It will eventually propagate the twitter applet properly.

As for the content of your comment... yeah, this won't go over well at all.

I know that the Crew don't own the stadium and MLS doesn't like that but could the Crew play at Huntington Park?

Guess it doesn't matter if the owner isn't interested. 

Archived