North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Correct. They own the physical stadium, but it sits on state property.

The Crew do not own Huntington Park.

I was floating the idea of them playing there

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's getting better:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/crew-anthony-precourt-lays-out-case-for-mls-soccer-austin/iIgaOfMaFOBcoah5cV2chL/

And yes, we did think that Atlanta, Portland and Orlando would do well. They had the track record. 

No, not all games start at 7:30 at night. Seriously dude, you don't know that?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Portland had decades of Timbers backings to support moving to MLS

Orlando showed that they were willing to support a successful franchise through their growth into MLS

Atlanta had a pretty rabid fanbase for the Silverbacks IIRC....

How the hell do these rich idiots get rich? Let alone buy a sports team....I swear there are so many dumb people with deep pockets.......

I said it before, I feel sorry for the Columbus fanbase that this jackhole is the owner of your franchise. 

Was Atlanta expected to have this much success?  From everything I've seen, we far exceeded any expectations.  And while the Silverbacks have been around a good while and they have their rabid fans, soccer was pretty much a nonexistent entity here.

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

You just need to wait and let the forum do its magic once you cut/paste the Twitter link. It will eventually propagate the twitter applet properly.

As for the content of your comment... yeah, this won't go over well at all.

Season tickets are generally contract-binding.  And teams have deadlines for STH's to renew/decline (Atlanta United's was back in mid-September).  So if you've already signed something or agreed to something, you're stuck with the tickets.

“Did you anticipate that Atlanta would be a good soccer market a year ago?” Precourt said. “Did you anticipate Orlando would be a good soccer market a few years ago? Portland?

This statement right here shows all of this guy's stupidity in a couple sentences. Atlanta had a particularly large fanbase for the Silverbacks, Orlando was a (IMO) predictable hit right from the get go in USL (who, by the way, moved from AUSTIN, TEXAS), and Portland supported decades of different iterations of the Timbers. Stupid statement by a stupid person.

ExJworW.png

Ah yes, those out-of-nowhere upstarts, the Portland Timbers.

Columbus doesn't deserve to get done dirty like this, but at least they'll be rid of this dope.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I keep seeing this compared to Modell moving the Browns because, naturally, but in some ways this seems worse. Model was a boob, but he was in Cleveland for thirty years and moved because he mismanaged himself into a position of having to. Precourt bought the team with the intention of moving it, lied for years, and appears to be taking some glee in villainizing himself to an entire American city. I know the Crew isn't as beloved as the Browns were in Cleveland but there are people who are feeling it just as hard right now. 

Modell felt like he had to move. This guy doesn't have to move. He wants to move and also wants to take a dump on the city in the process. I mean, he chose to announce it right before a home playoff game. Wtf!

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree with him. Nobody should be happy that this roaring douchebag has come in and is pretty much holding an original MLS franchise hostage unless he gets what he wants.

Hell, I bet you that douchebag picked Austin while blindfolded when it came to pick a location and was told that it's a "Hip young city" that loves to keep it weird without being told that it's history with pro soccer is sketchy at best.

This is more like how the Sonics got screwed over by their owner because he wanted to move them... and the parallels are frightening: An owner that is telling the city that they must build a new stadium or else they move... A team loved by the city, yet gets screwed over because a roaring douchenozzle is holding them hostage. It's sad.

I hope MLS and the city of Columbus does everything they can to prevent this move.

Short of giving this asshat free money and land, of course.

Addendum: DIG UP, STUPID

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

This statement right here shows all of this guy's stupidity in a couple sentences. Atlanta had a particularly large fanbase for the Silverbacks

No, they really didn’t.  They were pretty much bottom half of the NASL, with official attendances in the mid-4K range. That’s including paper and tickets given away.  Not exactly awful, but in no way “particularly large”.  Atlanta United built their base essentially from scratch. 

"The attendance in Columbus is a concern. Has there been research in Austin that you can draw — I don’t know what the number is, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000 fans for your home schedule?

Precourt: We’ll have 17 home matches plus, hopefully, be competing in the playoffs year in and year out. So we got 20-plus games a year. We believe, again, Austin has all the ingredients to be an extremely successful MLS 3.0 marketplace."

Translation: If I avoid saying I'd be fine with the same amount of people coming to my games I'll look smarter.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Crew Season Ticket holder here. First, Precourt is a clown. He deserves all the scorn and ridicule he is receiving and I hope he either fails in Austin or is forced to sell the team locally. In regard to the latter part, there is now a push from local business and government leaders to either buy him out or get a stadium plan together. Meanwhile, the supporters groups are banding together for a Save The Crew Rally at City Hall on Sunday. Some fans are refusing to support the team in a lame duck year and I can't really blame them. I meanwhile, along with others, will try to make Precourt look like a dunce and prove him wrong that Columbus can't support the Crew. I'll be there Sunday at the rally. To quote Bluto from Animal House; "Nothing is over until we decide it is!"

Precourt Out

Pennants.jpg

Archived