Briton93

Big Ten Alternate Helmet Concepts

Recommended Posts

I've recently wrapped a portfolio of Big Ten alternate helmet concepts, and look forward to hearing your comments.

 

To be clear: each helmet created is intended to be an alternate helmet, used for one game, possible more during the 2017 season.

 

To the best of my knowledge, these concepts are unique to existing concepts or helmets worn by the schools.  To remain distinct to prior concepts, some of the designs are admittedly out there.  I thought best to go the unique-and-quite-possibly-polarizing route than to recreate something that has already been designed.

 

I will post 3-4 designs per day, and welcome your C&C.  As always, a firm handshake to Mr. Davidson and Darth Brooks for their tutorials.

 

This project was also preceded by a PAC-12 portfolio, which I will post in similar fashion assuming there is interest.

 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  And away we go ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a nice helmet, definitely unique to Purdue's look. I'd love to see unis to go with these, just to see what the total package would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, Minnesota has done a terrific job with their alternate helmets in the past few years, alternating Maroon, Gold, White, and Black.  I wanted to go a different route altogether, and tried to one-up Washington's Frost helmet from a few years back.  It felt like the Land of 10,000 Lakes needed to "own" frozen theme: ice chrome decals, metallic maroon shell, metallic "ice" chin strap and visor clips, and an iced image of Goldy the Gopher on the visor.

 

YRYicYt.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northwestern is another school which has adopted a good approach to the multi-helmet uniform.  Minor revisions to make this unique: metallic purple shell, a black/silver chrome decal combo, and metallic facemask.

b40KmR0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

That's a nice helmet, definitely unique to Purdue's look. I'd love to see unis to go with these, just to see what the total package would be.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'd like to get back into doing full uniforms.  Perhaps in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something tells me this one will be polarizing ... ;)

 

Wisconsin's helmet is a play off of North Carolina State's alternate helmet.  Instead of the carbon fiber skin, I tried a badger fur hydroskin, with a Bucky call-out near the neck.

 

 

DMF9z4q.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Briton93 said:

Northwestern is another school which has adopted a good approach to the multi-helmet uniform.  Minor revisions to make this unique: metallic purple shell, a black/silver chrome decal combo, and metallic facemask.

b40KmR0.png

Having a hard time seeing the logos on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black against purple tends to disappear.  I would thicken the outlines or change colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Black against purple tends to disappear.  I would thicken the outlines or change colors.

 

Good feedback from you and MCM0313.  Thanks much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Briton93 said:

Something tells me this one will be polarizing ... ;)

 

Wisconsin's helmet is a play off of North Carolina State's alternate helmet.  Instead of the carbon fiber skin, I tried a badger fur hydroskin, with a Bucky call-out near the neck.

 

 

DMF9z4q.png

I actually like this helmet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota's helmet...I get what you were aiming for, but it looks very much like Washington State.

Wisconsin...I also like the helmet, though I would've considered Bucky as the logo instead of the W, just to mix things up a bit.

Northwestern....I think I'd like to see a version of this sans black.

Purdue...I've never gotten why they shoehorned silver into their colors, but given that they've had a gray uni or two, eh, why the hell not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good all around. But what's up with Minnesota's visor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Minnesota's helmet...I get what you were aiming for, but it looks very much like Washington State.

 

Fair. Although I guess you'll have to stick around to see how I "fixed" Washington State. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I think you have a pretty strong set. 

Only thing is I dont think you need the logo on the Gopher logo on the Minnesota visor. You wouldnt see that in real life, but the helmet design itself is strong.

The Purdue is my favorite so far, the gray with gold facemask really pops. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tforbes2011 said:

So far I think you have a pretty strong set. 

Only thing is I dont think you need the logo on the Gopher logo on the Minnesota visor. You wouldnt see that in real life, but the helmet design itself is strong.

The Purdue is my favorite so far, the gray with gold facemask really pops. 

 

Thanks for the C&C. 

 

I hear you on the visor. I know that NCAA regasprohibit anything but clear (for good reason). I wanted to stretch the boundary of reality and go the route of something a recruit might wear for the now-frequent IG/Twitter pose. There are a few more of the visors like that, but feedback taken (and appreciated).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These next two helmets are Fauxback themed. 

 

Indiana last won the Big Ten in 1967, so for their design I went back to their crimson color base and changed their decals from white to chrome silver.

 

There are a few helmets which reflect in some capacity for this project, so I try to be authentic with what is reflected. In this case, "The Rock".

 

bJ6eWlH.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big Ten has a few teams which require a good balance between tradition and something new. Other schools like Maryland require threading a needle between what hasn't been done and tying to a fairly well defined design motif. 

 

For Maryland, I tried to improve upon Under Armour's Fauxback. Flag-patterned stripe, the now "traditional" nameplate on the back. The block M silhouette appears on the visor, with a metallic Maryland flag on the chinstrap. 

 

The number 28 is in honor of Bob Ward, former player and coach, whose number was the first to be retired at Maryland. 

 

 

RQFNvq6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the title, I was ready to jump into this thread and start complaning... But these are really good. Maryland is a HUGE improvement over most of their costumes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, keithisgood said:

By the title, I was ready to jump into this thread and start complaning... But these are really good. Maryland is a HUGE improvement over most of their costumes. 

Ahahahahaha. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.