Team located farthest from represented city?

Past or present- not counting anything temporary (Sharks at the Cow Palace or Bears in Champaign), or specially-scheduled games (eg. Packers in Milwaukee or Bills in Toronto) or teams claiming 2 cities (LA Angels or Anaheim) which team(s) hold the claim to playing the farthest away from the city they represent? Just to keep things in perspective, I'll compare distances from stadiums to downtown. 

Currently, off the top of my head:

The 49ers take the cake, playing about 43 miles from downtown SF. 

for the time being anyways, the Pistons play roughly 32 miles from downtown. 

The next closest might be the Cowboys, at about 18 miles from downtown Dallas, with the Redskins hovering around the 15 mile mark. 

The Atlanta Braves new park is about 13 miles. 

Giants/Jets are barely 10 miles from Manhattan. The Bills are roughly the same as well. 

Anyone else in history played over 40 miles from home?

sig.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Past or present- not counting anything temporary (Sharks at the Cow Palace or Bears in Champaign), or specially-scheduled games (eg. Packers in Milwaukee or Bills in Toronto) or teams claiming 2 cities (LA Angels or Anaheim) which team(s) hold the claim to playing the farthest away from the city they represent? Just to keep things in perspective, I'll compare distances from stadiums to downtown. 

Currently, off the top of my head:

The 49ers take the cake, playing about 43 miles from downtown SF. 

for the time being anyways, the Pistons play roughly 32 miles from downtown. 

The next closest might be the Cowboys, at about 18 miles from downtown Dallas, with the Redskins hovering around the 15 mile mark. 

The Atlanta Braves new park is about 13 miles. 

Giants/Jets are barely 10 miles from Manhattan. The Bills are roughly the same as well. 

Anyone else in history played over 40 miles from home?

Actually Levis Stadium is only 36 miles from San Francisco.

And it's still in the San Francisco Bay Area so it being "outside" its namesake is debatable.

The Senators used to play about 20 miles west of Ottawa, but then Ottawa annexed its suburbs and now the Sens play in the city of Ottawa without having moved an inch. They're moving downtown soon, though, fingers crossed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I did a check of some MLS stadiums. I had assumed a lot of them -- like the Rapids, Fire, and Union -- were much farther away than they actually are. They average about 15 miles or so. That probably feels like a lot in rush hour, but is a manageable distance.

Toyota Park in Frisco, TX is about 30 miles from downtown Dallas. However, my understanding is DFW is exurb paradise, so I'm assuming everything is 30 miles away from everywhere else.

I was surprised to learn that BBVA Compass is right in the downtown Houston core, right near MinuteMaid and Toyota Center. My assumptions were way off; nicely done Houston.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

And it's still in the San Francisco Bay Area so it being "outside" its namesake is debatable.

They're the San Francisco Bay 49ers?

Far as the minor leagues go, I have no idea how far Rosemont is from downtown Chicago, just that the Chicago Wolves play there.  Them and either DePaul or Loyola, I forget which.

Far as historical long-distance relationships, we have the Cavs' former home of Richfield, about an hour south of Cleveland.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

During the 2012-13 season, the AHL's Portland Pirates played their home games in Lewiston, Maine, about 35 miles from Portland, due to arena renovations.

A few years ago, the UMass football team played its home games at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, 90+ miles away from campus (also for stadium renovations). To this day, 2 or 3 home games will be played at Gillette.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

41 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

Far as the minor leagues go, I have no idea how far Rosemont is from downtown Chicago, just that the Chicago Wolves play there.  Them and either DePaul or Loyola, I forget which.

Google Map says 15.85 from State/Madison as the crow flies, but because Chicago gobbled up O'Hare, it's practically a matter of feet from Chicago city limits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

You could say the New York Islanders, because they're named the islanders while not being on Long Island, but they are close to New York City, with the move to Brooklyn and all.

Technically, they do play on long island. Brooklyn lies on Long Island, even if it is completely different culturally and legally. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

You could say the New York Islanders, because they're named the islanders while not being on Long Island, but they are close to New York City, with the move to Brooklyn and all.

-Brooklyn is on Long Island.

-Brooklyn isn't close to New York City, it's part of New York City.

10 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Far as historical long-distance relationships, we have the Cavs' former home of Richfield, about an hour south of Cleveland.

I was thinking this as well, but the Coliseum was only about 20 miles or so. 

13 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

They claim the city of San Francisco. Not the Bay area. 

sig.png

9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Technically, they do play on long island. Brooklyn lies on Long Island, even if it is completely different culturally and legally. 

"Legally"?

But you're right that "Long Island" has two meanings, the geographical and the cultural. Brooklyn and Queens meet the former but not the latter. 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Source?

They sure as hell claim the South Bay. 

The source is the fact that their name is San Francisco. Not San Francisco Bay. We're not talking about what territory they claim, but the city they call 'home'. The same reason we're not counting the Tampa Bay Rays in this discussion. They represent Tampa Bay, not specifically Tampa. 

sig.png

14 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The source is the fact that their name is San Francisco. Not San Francisco Bay. We're not talking about what territory they claim, but the city they call 'home'. The same reason we're not counting the Tampa Bay Rays in this discussion. They represent Tampa Bay, not specifically Tampa. 

So they represent just a body of water?

Archived