Death to the Block S

raysox

S-04.png

Pop quiz! What team does the above logo belong to?

Time's up, the correct answer is Stanford, Michigan State, and Syracuse

S.png

While there's nothing wrong with the logo, It's hard to believe this many teams got a patent.Anyways, I decided to create logos for those 3 teams revolving around the letter S and their team name.

Stanford's S sometimes has a nice little tree on it. So I decided to create a logo where they're together. I wanted to make a diamond shape, but realize that hey duplicating the top bit looks a lot like a tree. I connected the branches and added a trunk.

S-01.png

I started this concept MONTHS ago. The only progress I had was an MS alternating because I had another letter to play with. I played around with some stuff, and added a nose plate in the negative space of the S. This evolved into a Spartan helmet. The more I played with it, the more it evolved. It became an M-S-U logo,

S-02.png

This one is an orange

S-03.png

Personally the only one I think that works is the Stanford one. But on that one you really knocked it out of the park. What really bothers me about the Syracuse one is it looks so much like a tilted poke ball lol 

Stanford and Syracuse are amazing! I would send those in to their respective teams right away.

I can't really wrap my head around the Michigan logo though. I see where you were going with that idea, but it takes a while to make out the shapes and what exactly they mean.

I really like where these are headed, but there's a few things you may want to try. Personally, the biggest thing that isn't working for me on the Michigan State logo is how wide the M is. I think that if you made the M narrower and more in line with the top part of the S from your original logo, then it might look better. The Stanford one is fantastic, and its super clean and would look great on their jerseys, but with Syracuse, it looks more like a company log than an athletics logo. I love the creativity behind these designs, and they're all right on the edge of working really well, but I think a few more changes are necessary to make the MSU and Syracuse ones work. Overall, a really great start.

spacer.png

As a Sparty fan, I'm not digging that logo too much. The order of the letters is important. It looks like it belongs (order wise anyway) to Southern Methodist University rather than MSU. I appreciate the effort and do agree that the block S is overused (MSU's primary is the helmet now I believe), but I'd love to see the the letters in the correct order.

The Stanford one is great (I didn't want to sound like a complete curmudgeon).

XcryMwi.png

On 12/14/2016 at 10:14 AM, Yac12 said:

The Syracuse logo reminds me of the small disc that we use to have to put into a 45 record to make it fit on a record player. Yes, I'm showing my age with this reference.  

You're alone . . . in your perception of the logo or your age.  For those who don't know what we mean . . . 

45-rpm-record-insert-adapters-red-300x30

As for the logos as a whole, they are all very well rendered.  The Stanford one is the best of the bunch.  However, it reads to me more like some sort of Japanese/Chinese character than an S.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Just now, leopard88 said:

You're alone . . . in your perception of the logo or your age.  For those who don't know what we mean . . . 

45-rpm-record-insert-adapters-red-300x30

As for the logos as a whole, they are all very well rendered.  The Stanford one is the best of the bunch.  However, it reads to me more like some sort of Japanese/Chinese character than an S.

Am I alone or not alone in my perception?  

Archived