2016 NFL Fields

nbitterman

I don't think I'd call the shield ugly at all., and for teams like the Giants and jets, it makes much more sense to have the shield at the 50 than to keep interchanging fieldturf.

(It was the possible chances of injuries, by constantly changing a large patch of turf in the middle of the field, that caused both teams to agree to scrap the team-specific logos for the consistency of the shield)

(...also, that field, and Carolina's, looks good with the shield at the 50.)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/25/2016 at 10:54 PM, nbitterman said:

New Orleans Saints

Saints Field.jpg

I wonder if the league would have allowed the Saints to put the 50th anniversary logo at the 50 yard line in place of the regular numbers.  A smaller version of the logo there (i.e., the same height as the regular numbers) might have worked fairly well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I wonder if the league would have allowed the Saints to put the 50th anniversary logo at the 50 yard line in place of the regular numbers.  A smaller version of the logo there (i.e., the same height as the regular numbers) might have worked fairly well.

Doubt it, I would think that the NFL cares so much about their brand that I'm pretty sure that have standardized numbers and only did the gold 50s last year and that's about as wild as you would see them doing for the numbers

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

Doubt it, I would think that the NFL cares so much about their brand that I'm pretty sure that have standardized numbers and only did the gold 50s last year and that's about as wild as you would see them doing for the numbers

I'm not sure either way.  Beyond the gold numbers last year, they allow teams to use custom fonts for field numbers and/or to outline the numbers (ex., Vikings, Rams (I think)).  There may be some flexibility as long as the size is consistent.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

21 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Most like a security issue since San Diego's stadium has convertible seating from baseball and these seats may be obscured view.

I thought that too but I see in a normal game the seats aren't covered.

qualcomm16_top.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

On 12/26/2016 at 10:23 AM, JWhiz96 said:

The Saints have to have the most boring field in the NFL (excluding the Raiders during the overlap with the MLB and the Steelers with the overlap during the college football season). Plain, nothing creative or visually appealing, and too expansive. They should follow the mold of other domed/artificial turf teams and paint the end zones and 25's.

I'll tell you what...the most boring field in modern NFL history was Riverfront Stadium til about 96 or 97...it was literally just the yard lines and hashmarks.  If not for the Bengals sticking to black at home, you'd never know who the hell played there.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

17 hours ago, JQK said:

I don't think I'd call the shield ugly at all., and for teams like the Giants and jets, it makes much more sense to have the shield at the 50 than to keep interchanging fieldturf.

(It was the possible chances of injuries, by constantly changing a large patch of turf in the middle of the field, that caused both teams to agree to scrap the team-specific logos for the consistency of the shield)

(...also, that field, and Carolina's, looks good with the shield at the 50.)

In fact, the original plan at MetLife was to have Giants and Jets logos at midfield during their respective home games. During training camp in the inaugural season of the new stadium (2010), before a single game was even played there, Domenik Hixon tore his ACL on a seam near the midfield logo. (link)

Out went the idea of switching logos at midfield depending on the home team, and they decided to just use the NFL shield at midfield instead. Obviously makes converting the stadium from one team to another quicker as well. 

While I generally would prefer a team logo at midfield, I can excuse it at MetLife Stadium given the circumstances. Also helps that neither the Jets nor the Giants have logos that are terribly conducive to being placed as midfield (the Jets' oval logo would look awkward, though the Giants' "ny" logo would probably look okay).

Outside of that situation, though, I really wish the Panthers' would put their logo at midfield, especially because it would align so much better with the end zones and seat color. And I really wish the NFL would go back to using the Super Bowl logo at midfield - put the shields at the 25 yard line if you must, but the event logo should be front-and-center.

4 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'll tell you what...the most boring field in modern NFL history was Riverfront Stadium til about 96 or 97...it was literally just the yard lines and hashmarks.  If not for the Bengals sticking to black at home, you'd never know who the hell played there.

No doubt, Riverfront was excruciatingly plain for the majority of its time. Luckily I wasn't born to see most of it.

NSFCvyu.png

On 12/27/2016 at 7:27 PM, ltjets21 said:

Might be a stupid question but why is it always muddy around the fields in Oakland ans San Diego? Haven't really noticed this anywhere else my only guess is workers are moving things on the outskirts of the field.

i would guess it has to do with the way the grounds crew maintains the field. or rather lack thereof. my guess is they regularly replace the grass inside the field of play and leave everything outside in place longer

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

No doubt, Riverfront was excruciatingly plain for the majority of its time. Luckily I wasn't born to see most of it.

The Oilers were the same way in the Astrodome until 1988. And the Steelers went from about the late '70s into the early '90s without dressing up the field except for playoff games.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:54 PM, Sykotyk said:

Not sure how true, but when discussion of that fiasco came up in Ohio HS football circles (Fawcett -- er, Tom Benson Hall of Fame-- Stadium is a high school stadium after all), was that the Saints replace their field EVERY year due to use.

You have the Saints 10 games, college games, two college bowls, 9 HS title games, and god knows how many concerts and other events require the field to be covered and effective flattened into AstroTurf.

I'm pretty certain it's a new surface every year. But there's only 1 non-bowl college game played in the stadium (Bayou Classic) now that Tulane have their on-campus stadium. For the rest of the year, the Superdome's concrete floor is exposed. They aren't covering the field for anything. There aren't many concerts in the Dome anymore since the arena was built next door. But you have the massive "Endymion Extravaganza" event every Mardi Gras, the Essence Fest in Summer and a number of other events like boat shows and home & garden shows. So with them pulling up and putting down the field each year, I'm thinking it plays a significant part in the look of the field.

gYH2mW9.png

On 12/28/2016 at 11:24 AM, ltjets21 said:

Why are prime 50 yard line seats blocked off for the Super Bowl?

Those seats are extremely obstructed view because of how low they are.  The first row is only about 1 foot off the grass.  All you can see from those seats is the bench.  You really can't see over anything until you get to rows 6-8.  It's the product of an old, multipurpose stadium.

On 12/28/2016 at 2:19 PM, insert name said:

I thought that too but I see in a normal game the seats aren't covered.

qualcomm16_top.jpg

Correct, they are not covered for the Chargers.  They were discounted for a long time until the early 2000s if I remember correctly.  We have season tix in field level around the 5 yard line.  In the corners is OK for that half of the field, but anything on the other end is extremely obstructed.  Dean likes to rip us off...

On 12/28/2016 at 7:57 AM, insert name said:

I miss having the Super Bowl logo in the middle.

Super-Bowl-XXXVII-Field-Design.jpg

This is exactly how the Super Bowl field should look. Team helmets on the 25, conference logos in the end zone, the Super Bowl logo at the 50 - it's perfect.

(Of course, most of us probably prefer the field design we grew up with, right?)

Archived