2016 NFL Fields

nbitterman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

I've always wondered why most teams, except the Vikings that I know of offhand, don't use their own custom number fines for field numbers. It'd be cool to see custom numbers for each team on the fields.

Don't be giving Tampa any ideas.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:34 PM, JWhiz96 said:

When the Saints first went to the black end zones (mid 80s), they used this end zone setup whenever Tulane played. It lasted for a few years until the Saints updated the end zones to the tilted-helmet look in the 90s.

It actually goes back to circa 1978. Saints had a yellowish end zone with a drop shadow Saints and a powder blue end zone with a drop shadow Tulane. They switched to the end zones in the photos in 1983, dropped the colored end zones for a year or two in 1989 and then went to two black Saints end zones some time in the 1990s. They also would have two Tulane end zones for Tulane home games at that point.

This is from an LSU-Tulane game in 1979. Note the Saints end zone:

maxresdefault.jpg

This shot is circa 1989.

interior.jpg

On 1/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, Sykotyk said:

I may have missed it, but isn't the 25 only for kickoffs into the endzone? I thought the rest of the touchbacks still go to the 20 (INT, fumble, punts, etc). Or, have I just not paid that much attention to NFL games this year?

Really? Two different types of touchback? The NFL is the worst. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How much smaller is the cowboys star compared to Texas stadiums? I figuered it wasdownsized to fit on one piece of the turf so when they make the changes from college/high school field back to NFL they don't have to worry with lining up the star. Straight sidelines have to be easier than a logo. I also noticed that the Texans have cut out the Texans logo and endzones only to make an even quicker chance from NFL to college. You can see the difference if you look close to the Texas kickoff classic and Texas bowl

5 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

How much smaller is the cowboys star compared to Texas stadiums? I figuered it wasdownsized to fit on one piece of the turf so when they make the changes from college/high school field back to NFL they don't have to worry with lining up the star. Straight sidelines have to be easier than a logo. I also noticed that the Texans have cut out the Texans logo and endzones only to make an even quicker chance from NFL to college. You can see the difference if you look close to the Texas kickoff classic and Texas bowl

its the same size, 46-46

Thank god the NFL chose to go red with the Falcons' end zone. Seems like they learned from their mistake in Super Bowl 50, when they missed the chance to give the Panthers a light blue end zone. SB 50's field was too bland, then again, for what seems like the past five SB we've had dark/dark end zones.

Also liking the contrasting sidelines, in what I think is to mimic the helmets. Nice touch. 

Ironic that the Patriots switched to a wordmark that only works when centered then they make the endzones off-center, which would have worked perfect with their old wordmark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ironic that the Patriots switched to a wordmark that only works when centered then they make the endzones off-center, which would have worked perfect with their old wordmark.

But, the NFL would be such a stickler to 'rules' they'd do this:

temp-sb51.jpg

I'm not sure there should be a template for the end zones. Each team's logo / wordmark is unique and fits in a different way. They should do what looks best on each side, uniformity be damned. 

Archived