Star Wars Baseball (Toronto Tauntauns & Washington Senators, Series Finished)

MJD7

Hey everyone,

Inspired by @Bruins starting of the Star Wars League (in which only one spot is remaining, so feel free to join) and my own revival of love for Star Wars with last year's The Force Awakens, I decided to try to make some baseball uniforms of my very own.

This series is going to utilize the 30 cities that are currently a part of Major League Baseball, but with Star Wars inspired names. Most of the teams won't be very much inspired by their actual MLB counterpart, as much as they will be by aspects of the city itself. I'm also going to try to make Force Awakens and Rogue One special alternates for teams whenever applicable, to commemorate the new movies. 

Anyway, starting off the series today with the Arizona Speeders!

Uniforms

Arizona Speeders Home.pngArizona Speeders Away 2.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 1.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 2.pngArizona Speeders Episdode VII Alternate.png

-Credit for the name goes to @Pulv! for this one, and I'm excited to see what she does for the League team. The name makes sense for the desert feel that Arizona brings, much like Tatooine.

-The colors are a pretty natural choice, as they are the main colors of Luke's landspeeder in Episode IV.

-The font is meant to evoke speed, with the actual speeder hovering over it. The piping is meant to resemble all of the curved lines and patterns you see on a landspeeder.

-For some of these teams I'm gonna need to get really creative with the player names, and for this one I looked up the names of some different speeder models and utilized them.

-The Force Awakens alternate is inspired by Rey's self-made landspeeder, with the main colors being maroon and dark gray. From what I saw, there weren't any speeders in Rogue One (I really hope that's not a spoiler for anybody) so there's isn't an alternate for it.

Feel free to let me know what you think about the first team of this series!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Hey everyone,

Inspired by @Bruins starting of the Star Wars League (in which only one spot is remaining, so feel free to join) and my own revival of love for Star Wars with last year's The Force Awakens, I decided to try to make some baseball uniforms of my very own.

This series is going to utilize the 30 cities that are currently a part of Major League Baseball, but with Star Wars inspired names. Most of the teams won't be very much inspired by their actual MLB counterpart, as much as they will be by aspects of the city itself. I'm also going to try to make Force Awakens and Rogue One special alternates for teams whenever applicable, to commemorate the new movies. 

Anyway, starting off the series today with the Arizona Speeders!

Uniforms

Arizona Speeders Home.pngArizona Speeders Away.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 1.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 2.pngArizona Speeders Episdode VII Alternate.png

-Credit for the name goes to @Pulv! for this one, and I'm excited to see what he does for the League team. The name makes sense for the desert feel that Arizona brings, much like Tatooine.

-The colors are a pretty natural choice, as they are the main colors of Luke's landspeeder in Episode IV.

-The font is meant to evoke speed, with the actual speeder hovering over it. The piping is meant to resemble all of the curved lines and patterns you see on a landspeeder.

-For some of these teams I'm gonna need to get really creative with the player names, and for this one I looked up the names of some different speeder models and utilized them.

-The Force Awakens alternate is inspired by Rey's self-made landspeeder, with the main colors being maroon and dark gray. From what I saw, there weren't any speeders in Rogue One (I really hope that's not a spoiler for anybody) so there's isn't an alternate for it.

Feel free to let me know what you think about the first team of this series!

Looks really awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of the teams :)

*Also, just an innocent mistake, but @Pulv! is actually a she :lol:

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

6 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

Looks really awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of the teams :)

*Also, just an innocent mistake, but @Pulv! is actually a she :lol:

Oh woops, my apologies! I thought I had managed to avoid using pronouns, because you can never be sure. I fixed it in the original post!

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I love Star Wars so I'm looking forward to following this series!

Now that most (all?) MLB teams have a Star Wars Day during the regular season, it would be cool if those teams actually wore Star Wars-inspired uniforms for one game.

Thanks! That definitely wouldn't be a bad idea.

20 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I like these, with the exception of the font for the name.

I tried to find a font that conveyed speed, and I thought this one worked because it is kind of bulky but yet still looks fast, a lot like a landspeeder. I didn't notice until after that it is pretty much the ESPN font, haha. But I understand what you're saying. Do you have any other suggestions that I could maybe try?

23 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I don't think the number font and nameplate font need to be the same. There's a precedence in MLB set by the Los Angeles Angels, Pittsburgh Pirates and Toronto Blue Jays that they don't need to match, and it doesn't take away from the uniform design.

Oh I didn't realize you were talking just about the nameplate. I'll work on that today and show you a possible suggestion.

Another note on yesterday's uniforms, I looked at my phone and saw the shade of sand for the away jersey looked pretty awful compared to the computer, so I adjusted it to be lighter.

Anyway, moving on to today's team, the Atlanta Falcons!

Uniforms

Atlanta Falcons Home.pngAtlanta Falcons Away.pngAtlanta Falcons Alternate 1.pngAtlanta Falcons Friday Alt.pngAtlanta Falcons Episode VII Alternate.png

-The name actually became an obvious choice once I thought of it. The main colors are different shades of gray inspired by the Millennium Falcon itself, with a hint of bright blue that resembles the engine flares.

-The home wordmark uses the Falcon and it's trail to form the F, much like the NFL Falcons do. The front number on the three main jerseys is the bright teal color.

-The alternate is an entirely anthracite combination.

-All the player names and numbers are different stats about the Falcon.

-There is a Friday "hyperspace" alternate, which is black with bright blue pinstripes to signify the initial jump into hyperspace.

-The Force Awakens alternate adds a bit of royal blue to pair with the teal, this time inspired by the look of actually being in hyperspace.

-Like yesterday's team, I'm pretty sure the Falcon did not make an appearance in Rogue One.

I'd be happy to hear what you guys think about the Falcons!

The Falcons are brilliant. First off, the name = :lol:. The gray and light blue color scheme is very distinctive. Also, the thought process behind the Friday alt, with the pinstripes representing the hyperspace lines, is genius. The only thing that looks a little off to me are the speed lines under the Falcon on the home jersey. I'd see how the "FALCONS" wordmark would look in blue and make the front numbers gray. 

Keep it up! Can't wait to see what you do for the Chicago teams. Is "Chicago Ewoks" too on the nose for the Cubs?

@Dan O'Mac maybe something like this, the same font but without the line cutting through it or the outline? Makes things simpler.Arizona Speeders Home Proposal.png

31 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Falcons are brilliant. First off, the name = :lol:. The gray and light blue color scheme is very distinctive. Also, the thought process behind the Friday alt, with the pinstripes representing the hyperspace lines, is genius. The only thing that looks a little off to me are the speed lines under the Falcon on the home jersey. I'd see how the "FALCONS" wordmark would look in blue and make the front numbers gray. 

Keep it up! Can't wait to see what you do for the Chicago teams. Is "Chicago Ewoks" too on the nose for the Cubs?

Thank you! The home wordmark was definitely one of the most difficult aspects of the set to figure out. Here's what it looks like in blue:

Atlanta Falcons Home Proposal.png

I tend to like the gray better just because it meshes more with the Falcon. I'll try out some more things and see what works best.

And to answer your last question: No, no it is not.

Anyone else on either of the first two teams in this series?

31 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I like the Falcons a lot. Crisp, clean, nice colors.

The Speeders do look better to me without the "ESPN" line through the nameplate.

Thanks! Here is the Speeders set with the simplified name.

Arizona Speeders Home Proposal.pngArizona Speeders Away Proposal.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 1 Proposal.pngArizona Speeders Alternate 2 Proposal.pngArizona Speeders Episdode VII Alternate Proposal.png

I'm gonna go ahead and post today's team, the Baltimore Sith!

Uniforms

Baltimore Sith Home.pngBaltimore Sith Away.pngBaltimore Sith Alternate 1.pngBaltimore Sith Alternate 2.pngBaltimore Sith Rogue One Alternate.png

-These colors are about as evil as you can get. They also meshed well with the colors for the Maryland flag, so this I felt was a proper choice.

-The main hat & sleeve patch logo is the Sith organization logo. I tried putting an 'S' over it to make it look more like a baseball logo, but it looked pretty horrible.

-The font is one called "Lord of the Sith" that I found online. I felt it was pretty fitting.

-The away is an anthracite gray, mostly because I felt regular gray didn't look good and there weren't any other colors I could find that would work.

-Spoiler alert if you haven't seen any of the trailers for Rogue One: Darth Vader is in the movie. I felt the most iconic villain in cinema history deserved his own alternate uniform. The piping on the sleeves is red/white/red to mimic his famous red lightsaber.

-I don't believe there were any real Sith in The Force Awakens, as Vader and Palpatine were the last two and ended their reign in Return of the Jedi.

That's all for today, any comments/criticisms on the teams so far are welcome!

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I think the Sith are your best team yet. Really love the color combo of black, red and yellow. The font for the wordmarks is very cool, too.

Interested to see which team gets the distinction of being named the "Jedi."

Thank you.

Since my team in @Bruins' Football League is the Minneapolis Jedi (as they are my favorite characters in Star Wars) I'm going to retain that identity and call them the Minnesota Jedi for this series.

Anyone else?

Back with today's team, the Boston Rebels!

Uniforms

Boston Rebels Home.pngBoston Rebels Away.pngBoston Rebels Home Alternate.pngBoston Rebels Away Alternate.pngBoston Rebels Away Rogue One Alternate.png

-I thought the honor of being named the Rebels best fit Boston—being the main city to really "rebel" against the British monarchy and kickstart the American Revolutionary War.

-The colors are based off of the Rebel X-Wing pilot suit, which is what I personally tend to think of when I think of the Rebels. I suggested these colors for @KCDesign's team in the Star Wars League series, and think the logos made that were made for the Reno Rebels look outstanding!

-Although I have not seen the TV show, the font is based on the animated Star Wars Rebels show that I've heard things about.

-The jerseys are sleeveless to kind of mimic the look the pilot uniform has. The only hat is a white one to also mimic the way the helmets looked.

-The away is a dark gray because of the central control panel type thing that is seen on the pilot uniform.

-The all-orange away alternate is probably the one that looks most like an actual X-Wing pilot uniforms, with the black socks to match accordingly.

-The Rogue One alternate is based off of Captain Cassian Andor and his ground troops during the movie, so I used more earthly tones to reflect that.

Let me know what you think about anything I've posted so far!

Archived