Esco

Los Angeles Chargers Brand Discussion

WOAH. This better be a Browns style situation. That would be a HUGE loss. 

I don't why a full rebrand is need as they started as the L.A. Chargers in 1960 so why not come full circle. If they want to tinker with their uniforms that's okay but the current logo and name need no changing.

So if I'm reading this right... not only do they want to give up a perfectly serviceable market to play 2nd fiddle to the Rams, now they wanna ditch a nearly-60 year old identity for no good reason and risk being even less relevant & remembered than they are right now? (Hey! There's a name idea! The Los Angeles Football Clippers! :P)

Seriously though, it feels like just when you think Spanos and the Chargers couldn't be anymore stupid... they prove you wrong. I actually feel sorry for any Charger fans, whether they live in SD, LA or anywhere else. Y'all deserve a better-run team than this.

Maybe a color change since LA Rams could go back to Blue & Yellow. Two teams wearing shades of Blue & Yellow while sharing the same colors does clash. Even though they're not exactly the same color codes.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

What's the source of this "report"? 

Thanks - was going to ask the same thing.  B/R doesn't count in my mind.

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

As a Raiders fan, hating the Chargers is all fun and games until you get to this kind of situation. It would be really bad if not only did San Diego lose it's team, but then the name too? LA has a history with the Chargers name too (albeit a very brief one) so what's wrong with keeping that? Is Spanos embarassed of the team name now or something? He has no one to blame but himself for all of the awfulness that's been going on.

32 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

And now that Bud Adams is in the grave, the Texans execs should reach out to the Titans to work out a Charlotte Hornets-style deal for the Houston Oilers' return.

2 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

And now that Bud Adams is in the grave, the Texans execs should reach out to the Titans to work out a Charlotte Hornets-style deal for the Houston Oilers' return.

The Titans have been keeping the Oilers legacy alive over the past few years with the light blue, so I think if the Oilers name goes to the Texans, they should atleast wait for the Titans to move on from their callback to the Oilers first.

Edited by Old School Fool

The Chargers should keep they're brand and just go full powder-blue jersey/white pants as the home. Yellow pants as a road options, yes please. 

Instead were going to see the Angeles Starry Knights or something stupid. 

I think San Diego wants to keep the name and history for themselves...I also think this gives them a chance at a new fan base. More people would get on board with a hip new team especially because the rams suck. A lot of young people 25 and younger have no connection with the Rams.

The LA Golden Desert Knights. 

To people in LA saying they should identify with the Chargers because they played 1 season in LA half a century ago is no different than asking them to identify with the Browns or Eagles brands if they moved to LA.