Esco

Los Angeles Chargers Brand Discussion

oldschoolvikings    3,482
45 minutes ago, LakeShow24 said:

Yep this Sunday. People are going to see them up close.

Every year my buddy and I roadtrip to Canton for the HOF game, which is played in a highschool stadium.  I swear, that stadium looks bigger than this.

leopard88    881
28 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Every year my buddy and I roadtrip to Canton for the HOF game, which is played in a highschool stadium.  I swear, that stadium looks bigger than this.

It's not that far off.  Capacity of 22,375 v. 27,000*.

* -- According to Wiki.  Football capacity may be higher.

the admiral    9,896

This whole deal makes me so mad and I'm not even passionate about football. I just hate seeing San Diego fans taking this sort of indignity.

whitedawg22    46
4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

The LAC initials don't look right either.

They actually look familiar to me, in that they remind me of another failure of a franchise taking a backseat to its neighbor...

1hrqvo4oaipg1j7eboaxh4bgu.png

jmac11281    1,070
35 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

They actually look familiar to me, in that they remind me of another failure of a franchise taking a backseat to its neighbor...

1hrqvo4oaipg1j7eboaxh4bgu.png

That's exactly what I meant. They are familiar but out of place in NFL context. It's kind of a funny coincidence that 2 second rate LA franchises will share initials.

Ben in LA    373

I always felt that when they were building that stadium they should've designed it for possible expansion...it's not like they didn't have the room for it.

colortv    109
13 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

I always felt that when they were building that stadium they should've designed it for possible expansion...it's not like they didn't have the room for it.

MLS is all about having moderately-sized soccer specific stadiums though. The same reason a bunch of MLS teams don't share stadiums with NFL teams.

Cosmic    2,478
12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It's not that far off.  Capacity of 22,375 v. 27,000*.

* -- According to Wiki.  Football capacity may be higher.

I think they were going to bump the capacity all the way up to 30,000 with some extra end zone seating, but I don't know if it's been built yet.

Gothamite    5,761
6 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

When and if the Galaxy want that expansion, that would be one thing.  But not for a short-term tenant renting out the place. 

Gothamite    5,761
6 hours ago, colortv said:

MLS is all about having moderately-sized soccer specific stadiums though. The same reason a bunch of MLS teams don't share stadiums with NFL teams.

Actually, MLS clubs don't share with NFL teams because they need to control their own venues and not be a mere tenant at the mercy of another team.  MLS has no problem sharing when there is cross-ownership, as we see in Seattle, Atlanta, and New England.  That's the real issue. 

Still MIGHTY    1,817

"First come, First serve"

Like there's going to be a line out the door for Charger tattoos.

DNAsports    492
On 8/10/2017 at 11:27 PM, Gothamite said:

Actually, MLS clubs don't share with NFL teams because they need to control their own venues and not be a mere tenant at the mercy of another team.  MLS has no problem sharing when there is cross-ownership, as we see in Seattle, Atlanta, and New England.  That's the real issue. 

Earlier on Good Morning Football, they talked about how football in general not just NFL might move towards more close up, intimate, and smaller stadiums. I don't know where they got this idea from considering the two newest stadium that were just built (US Bank, Mercedes-Benz Stadium), the one being built for the Rams and Chargers, and the proposed stadium in Las Vegas aren't exactly small scale stadiums. I like the idea of the smaller stadiums, but it's just not going to happen.

Lights Out    2,058

The league is just floating that story in the hopes that it will make the Chargers look less pathetic while they're playing in a tiny half-empty soccer stadium. Instead of admitting the reality that LA doesn't want the Chargers and the Spanos family are a complete joke, they're trying to rebrand it to make the Chargers look like misunderstood trendsetters. It's not going to work, but I can't blame them for trying.

Gothamite    5,761

That might not be a bad idea, though.  The NFL's model has moved away from game attendance as the primary revenue stream.  Which is why they're allowing teams to stay on television even if they can't sell out the stadium. 

Daredevil    32
1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The league is just floating that story in the hopes that it will make the Chargers look less pathetic while they're playing in a tiny half-empty soccer stadium. Instead of admitting the reality that LA doesn't want the Chargers and the Spanos family are a complete joke, they're trying to rebrand it to make the Chargers look like misunderstood trendsetters. It's not going to work, but I can't blame them for trying.

The Chargers at StubHub is a experiment that will work. The Chargers surely can fit more than 27k in any stadium regardless if they're in LA or in San Diego. But since pro football being back in LA is still in a fragile, experimental phase, being in the smallest stadium in the league might be more beneficial for the Chargers instead of them being someplace like the Coliseum or Rose Bowl. 27k in StubHub is a beautiful thing. 27k in the LA Coliseum is essentially playing in an empty arena. 

Plus, it's a nice stadium regardless. Certainly the nicest stadium the Chargers have ever played in.

DHKOWRnUAAABtd9.jpg

bosrs1    620
On 8/10/2017 at 5:30 PM, Cosmic said:

I think they were going to bump the capacity all the way up to 30,000 with some extra end zone seating, but I don't know if it's been built yet.

Actually that only bumped it to 27,000. The Galaxy have apparently been lying about their capacity for years and it was never actually 27,000 seats. But they were obligated to report it as 27,000 for some reason I'm not aware of.