MLS 2017 with Digby -- 1/21 bonus NE Revs ideas

Digby

On a roll, here's a new home for Toronto FC. Tough to beat their current home so I kept much of the feel of that, just with a floppy polo collar this time. However I would like to see them use more of the city flag instead of the national flag (now that there have been other teams in Canada for some time), so I decided on a watermark based on the Toronto flag's design.

This wraps up the Eastern Conference -- I'll move to the Western Conference next. (Expansion team sets to come at the end of the entire shebang.)

tor_home.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd go with light blue shorts or socks rather than have both be gold. It's an improvement though. 

That does look better for sure! I only wonder if this combination looks too much like the regular home jersey, except lighter. 

phi_away.jpg

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

That does look better for sure! I only wonder if this combination looks too much like the regular home jersey, except lighter. 

phi_away.jpg

First off, I must say that you'be done some really solid work thus far in this series. Secondly, I think the brighter yellow and blue colors of this secondary kit are enough to stand apart from their regular home kit but you could always have the yellow shorts as a second option in case of a clash. Many teams have different short options for their kits and the most similar example to this Philly secondary kit that you've created would be the Sounders' primary kit, which they always have a pair of blue and a pair of green shorts for. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Thank you @upperV03! In truth, I am lucky that Football Manager of all things has a wildly dedicated and distributed community that create all these super lifelike templates -- most of my work is just picking which ideas to use and filling in the colors and patterns I want. That's a good point about the secondary shorts options and I like to design around that assumption, even if I'm not showing them exactly. (Seems like MLS doesn't mind usually when two teams have the same color shorts anyway.)

17 hours ago, kerlonmoura said:

Great work on the Eastern Conference jerseys! Maybe you might want to make the crests a bit larger as they look kinda small compared to the real life jerseys.

Looking forward for the Western Conference jerseys, keep it up!

You're totally right about the crests -- I noticed that like six teams ago, but then when I'm making them I consciously say "Okay, make it bigger this time" but then it's still not big enough! 

I'm working on improving that, better matching on the shorts template, and fixing the socks to fit the modern Adidas look -- will start posting the West when I'm happy with that stuff. :)

Hey all, back with an improved template and the Western Conference. Starting with Colorado Rapids -- the last few years they've had some interesting designs based off of the Colorado state flag, but I couldn't come up with a decent design that felt fresh using that motif. I've seen a bunch of concepts that use the colors of their corporate siblings the Avalanche and thought I'd try that instead, which I'm much happier with. Darker hues of red and blue often make for my favored color schemes.

col_away.jpg

Also managed to crank out FC Dallas -- they've been pretty consistent through the years of featuring away kits that are blue, white and gray, with prominent horizontal elements. This seemed like a case of not reinventing the wheel, but finding a design that still seemed fairly different than previous versions.

dal_away1.jpg

23 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

I don't know if I like Dallas given it's just a teamsport top... Colorado is cool

You know I was initially going to add stripes or a texture or something in the gray part of the FC Dallas thing to give it some visual flair and a more bespoke look, but held off because I did a similar thing in the Colorado stripes and will be doing a similar thing for a future jersey. But maybe this is the jersey that needed it more?

Here's the stock design I was talking about for reference:

konsey6_MED.jpg

Can't unsee the resemblance... yes I do think you need to add some more detail to it. I don't know what it could be,but well,your design your decisions. Oh,and thanks for reminding me I have some MLS designs to post which I yet again forgot about. Heck,I'll need to put this in my phone's alarm clock!

Thanks all! Here's the other Texas team, Houston Dynamo. They've always had pretty modern-looking kits, and for this one I took inspiration for an abstract triangle pattern based on their stadium, which I think is the best looking stadium in the league. I couldn't decide if I liked the light blue or dark gray trim, so here are two options -- I don't recall them using dark gray trim before, but it gives it kind of a Cruyff-era Netherlands vibe which I kind of like.

hou_home.jpg

hou_home2.jpg

So I'd hoped to finish this project before the real MLS jerseys started rolling in but welp, Portland unveiled theirs today. So I'd better hustle. Hopefully I can keep cranking out one per morning for the foreseeable future!

Next up is LA Galaxy. I said I would ensure that teams have one dark kit and one light kit (or at least midtone kit) as part of this, but the temptation to give LA Galaxy a gold "throwback" jersey was too great for me. That said the design wasn't a huge lift -- I took the same sash from their current home, but put it on a newer template, obviously updating the colors. So here are two options: one using modern Galaxy blue, one going all the way with the throwback and bringing back the tealish green.

One weird variable with LAFC coming in 2018 is that the color schemes are kinda vaguely similar? Yellowish gold and navy for Galaxy, metallic gold and black for LAFC. Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Doubt Galaxy will ever actually do another shirt in their shade of gold, but whatever.

lag_away.jpg

lag_away2.jpg

Now up to Portland Timbers. Sadly I did not manage to get this one done before they unveiled the real, spectacular thing yesterday. But I did address my two small complaints about the real one -- metallic gold and losing white shorts -- in my design. Though looking at it now, the white shorts do look a bit out of place! I also included tonal stripes as a throwback to the Celtic-esque kits they wore in the 00s, with the chevron pattern inside of them. (Hilarious that the real design includes a flannel pattern, as I considered a buffalo plaid away as a Portlandy joke. Can't outdo the real Portlandia!)

por_home.jpg

Archived