MLS 2017 with Digby -- 1/21 bonus NE Revs ideas

Digby

18 hours ago, nas1787 said:

Why not go with gold stripes on the shorts? That way the stripes are consistent from top to bottom.

I could try that -- I generally am not fond of yellow trim on white, or vice versa, but this gold might be dark enough.

Next in line is Real Salt Lake -- a few years back in 2010 or 11 they had a yellow/gold third kit that I thought was a real nice look. But otherwise they've always had all-white aways that I find rather boring. So I brought the gold back. Otherwise the design is intentionally kept very simple, just in case that color alone is too much of a shock to the system. (The sponsor logo is also unfortunate, as is the name "Real Salt Lake", but so it goes.) As with Colorado, I like the combo of dark blues and reds, and they look especially nice with this gold I think.

rsl_away.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, back with two new sets today!

San Jose Earthquakes have somehow got away with wearing the same home kit for 3 consecutive seasons now! The same look since they got a new crest. I assume this means they'll finally change this year. I really like the blue shirt, black sleeves and shorts combo they've used ever since the aforementioned rebrand, as well as the chevron-ish pattern they've used extensively in that time, so I'm keeping those elements here -- just extended the black to be more of a shoulder yoke and used a gradient on the pattern to transition to the blue.

sj_home.jpg

For Seattle Sounders and their away kit, as known for wild neon kits as they may be, I've always loved this old NASL kit from the 70s. So I basically straight updated that one for modern times. (They also get the big gold star above the crest this year, though that part hurt me a little bit!) I love that shade of blue, though I think the shade of green I used is a little lighter to be closer to Sounders green and not Timbers green. Also used a piece of their old logo as a jock tag. Briefly tried out a wave pattern inspired by that old logo as a light-gray watermark across the jersey, but trust me, that got a little seasick looking.

sea_away.jpg

5 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Did you intentionally use this colour scheme for the Sounders,given they're rumoured to actually use it? Plus yes,San Jose are changing home unis next season.

No! That's good to hear though. I'm not plugged into any rumor mills besides this one, but I am a sucker for fauxback tributes to our country's weird soccer history. The original Sounders had one of my favorite NASL looks.

One more new one for now -- a new home for Sporting Kansas City. Story behind this one is that one of my favorite Adidas jerseys from their most recent collection was the short-lived third for Chivas, where moving the usual Adidas 3-stripe to the side freed up space for that interesting tonal stripe design on the sleeves. No one in MLS used it last year, but I thought it'd be a natural fit for Sporting Kansas City as kind of a callout to their glorious late-90s Kansas City Wizards rainbow jerseys. Also kept a high quotient of dark blue all around for some visual separation from NYCFC.

skc_home.jpg

Approaching the end here, now with a new home for Vancouver Whitecaps. Since entering MLS, the Caps have stayed pretty consistent with all-white home jerseys with strong horizontal elements and trim in two shades of blue. I decided to go for a modern look on this one, going a little wild with gradients and noise in Photoshop -- subtle light blue, navy and grey elements in the background of the shirt and a little bit on the shorts.

Next up I'll do full sets for the two expansion teams for this year.

van_home.jpg

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

That Whitecaps jersey is stunning, though I can't decide wether the patter on the shorts is overkill or not. 

Overall great series

Hey thanks! I put it on the shorts because adidas did a few like that and I'd hardly messed with shorts this series, but I dunno if it was a success...

Wrapping things up with the two 2017 expansion teams, Atlanta United and Minnesota United. I decided to only do home kits for these two for now, will expand with away kits for my MLS 2018 series (!) next time.

So first, ATL. I thought the real home kit they unveiled was pretty close to perfect, so it was tough to change much. I opted to add stripes with an "A" pattern inside and put a polo collar on the thing (gotta be spiffy for your debut, ya know). Also thought it looked better with red shorts and striped socks, rather than all the black. Still a bad crest and name but that's not my realm here.

atl_home.jpg

As for Minnesota United FC, I admittedly went with an easy boring simple look. Last year when everything about their brand in MLS was up in the air, I read they were subsequently behind schedule on jersey designs and merch, so my design goes for realism and reflects that off-the-rack feel. (On the plus side, good to have a timeless simple look for your top-flight debut, no?) Still unclear to me what their MLS jersey will even look like color-wise -- did some research and all of their merch is using light gray, light blue, and dark gray/black. For some reason I have a feeling they're gonna own gray jerseys, instead of adding yet more light blue to the league. So here's that.

mnu_home.jpg

Thanks, everyone! I have one more bonus set -- looking back, maybe it's just because they're my local team, but I'm least satisfied with my Revolution jersey. So I whipped up a few alternate designs, in both regular team colors and the New England flag Christmas colors. Would love input as to which you all like best.

ne_aways.jpg

14 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Either of the middle ones would be great. Are they getting a new secondary kit this year?

Yep, they're due to unveil next month. No idea if they're retaining the red/green look or not. 

And i I think I'm leaning toward the middle, too.

2 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Hmmm... the middle might be a bit too FC Dallas. I'd prefer the top right one (the one with the actual team colours)

Yeah good point! Out of those I'm leaning toward the green trim for that reason. Maybe that'll be my third.

Cleaned up and changed a few things on the upper-right concept from above and have decided that will be my canonical Revs 2017 away concept. Actually wanted to use this as a home with the red and blue swapped, but came up with a different idea to be worked on in due time. I like retaining both the red flag look but the usual team colors (and red shirt/navy shorts is always a look I love).

ne_away5.jpg

Archived