Why Canada hasn't won a major North American sports league title since 1993?

Marcos Flamengo

Let me get straight into this.

Canada hasn't won a major North American sports league title since the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup against the Los Angeles Kings, 4 games to 1 and the Toronto Blue Jays won the 1993 World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies, 4 games to 2. Since then, 4 Canadian teams make the Stanley Cup Final only to lose: the Vancouver Canucks (1994, 2011), the Calgary Flames (2004), the Edmonton Oilers (2006) and the Ottawa Senators (2007) and 1 Canadian team did make the MLS Cup only to lose: the Toronto FC (2016).

Also we can't forget that two former Canadian NHL teams relocated to the States in 2 consecutive years: the Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche in '95, while the original Winnipeg Jets became the Arizona Coyotes in '96.

Many NHL fans not only in Canada but also around the world (except the U.S.) thinks it was former Los Angeles Kings defenceman Marty McSorley that put a curse in the Canadian NHL teams after the Habs won the 1993 SCF, while many NHL fans in the U.S. thinks that Canadian teams has a lot of bad luck against the American teams when they compete in the Stanley Cup Final.

The Blue Jays only returned to the MLB Postseason 22 years after the last World Series title. They won the American League East Division in 2015 and they won the AL Wild Card berth the following year. In the 2015 ALDS they beat the Texas Rangers, 3 games to 2, while in the ALCS, they were defeated by the eventual World Series champs Kansas City Royals, 4 games to 2. The path was longer in the following year: They won the Wild Card Game against the Baltimore Orioles, 5-2, they won the ALDS against the Texas Rangers once again, but this time they swept that series by 3, but in the ALCS, they were defeated by the eventual American League champs and World Series runners-up the Cleveland Indians.

Many Blue Jays fans thinks the 2-year row ALCS losses against the Royals and the Indians thinks it was bad luck and no good playing, while many non-Blue Jays fans thinks the Jays had bad luck against the Royals and the Indians.

This year, the Toronto FC surprisingly advanced to the MLS Cup by winning the Eastern Conference title, they dominated the game but however, they did heartbreakingly lose the title to the Seattle Sounders in the penalties, 5 to 4.

Many TFC fans thinks the loss was a bad luck and missed opportunity, while Sounders fans thinks TFC had bad luck against a team that has former TFC goalie Stefan Frei, who had a memorable MLS Cup by winning both the title and the Most Valuable Player award.

Canada has only one NBA team: the Toronto Raptors, who had won four Atlantic Division titles (2007, 2014, 2015 and 2016) but they were eliminated three times in the first round and one time in the East Final: 2007 and 2014 against the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets and 2015 against the Washington Wizards and lost the 2016 Eastern Conference final against the eventual NBA champs Cleveland Cavaliers.

Many Raptors fans thinks the team had a lack of luck but non-Raptors fans thinks the Raptors had bad luck against American-based NBA teams in the Playoffs.

There are two reasons behind this horrific drought:

1) American Dollar always gets valued than the its Canadian counterpart

2) American teams has more luck than the Canadian teams when we there is a sports league title on the line

So, guys, what do you think about this terrible drama involving Canadian-based North American sports league teams?.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's only one Canadian team in MLB, and only one in the NBA. The chances of a Canadian team winning the World Series or the NBA Championship are thus very small.

There's also 23 (soon to be 24) American teams in the NHL compared to seven Canadian teams. The balance, while not as skewed as baseball and basketball, goes against Canada there too.

8 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Where are all these people blaming Marty McSorley for the Blue Jay and TFC playoff losses?

And why has McSorley somehow "cursed" Canadian hockey teams? It really should have been a curse on the Kings, which it might have been, but it really shouldn't effect the Canadian teams

Because McSorley had an incident against a Habs player, a high sticking in the 1993 SCF, while the Blue Jays failed to overcome the Curse of Chief Wahoo in the 2016 ALCS.

However the Toronto FC really had bad luck against the Sounders, and unlike i once said, it wasn't McSorley's fault!.

25 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Because McSorley had an incident against a Habs player, a high sticking in the 1993 SCF, while the Blue Jays failed to overcome the Curse of Chief Wahoo in the 2016 ALCS.

However the Toronto FC really had bad luck against the Sounders, and unlike i once said, it wasn't McSorley's fault!.

McSorley was caught with an illegal stick in game two. The Habs scored on the powerplay to tie the game then won the game in OT to tie the series at 1-1. Montreal then proceeded to win the next three games to take the Stanley Cup in five games. Like I said, if the "McSorely curse" is anything, it should be a Kings curse.

And the Curse of Chief Wahoo? I thought "many fans" believe the McSorley curse caused the loss?

IbjBaeE.png

There is one North American league where Canada has been much more successful lately: The National Lacrosse League, where teams representing four different Canadian cities (Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and even Saskatoon) have won NLL Champion's Cups since 2009.

Of course, it helps that almost half the league's current member teams (four out of nine) and the overwhelming majority of its players are Canadian (and quite a few more physically live north of the border but identify as Iroquois Nationals).

CCSLC signature.png

14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Where are all these people blaming Marty McSorley for the Blue Jay and TFC playoff losses?

And why has McSorley somehow "cursed" Canadian hockey teams? It really should have been a curse on the Kings, which it might have been, but it really shouldn't effect the Canadian teams

Wait, 

What was surprising about TFC making the MLS cup? 

Anyways, I'm just repeating what @Ice_Cap said but it's just a numbers game. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I have to tell a testimony of mine: I've watched the 2011 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins on ESPN Brasil. At that Game 7, the Canucks did not play nothing, they were dominated by Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara and the Bruins. They were beaten by the Black and Gold, 4-0. The final series score: 4 games to 3 for the Bruins. I saw many Canucks fans crying at the game 7's final seconds. And after that, many fans made an infamous riot just like in 1994 after the Rangers beat the.

Many Canucks fans blamed Marty McSorley for this traumatic loss and the lack of competence that Canucks had in the final two games.

6 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Wait, 

What was surprising about TFC making the MLS cup? 

Anyways, I'm just repeating what @Ice_Cap said but it's just a numbers game. 

Actualy they didn't came to the MLS Cup by surprise. They really played well even in the MLS Cup, but they were defeated by the Sounders.

And I hope that Toronto FC will come more well matured to the 2017 MLS season to make another great campaign and to finally get their first title, who by a lot of bad luck, failed to win this year.

As brought up earlier, proportionally its much more difficult for a Canadian team to win a major title based on sheer quantity.

1 out of 30 NBA teams in Canada (3.33%)

1 out of 30 MLB teams in Canada (3.33 %)

0 out of 32 NFL teams in Canada (0%)

7 out of soon to be 31 NHL teams in Canada (22.58%)

3 out of soon to be 23 MLS teams in Canada (13.04%)

26 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I have to tell a testimony of mine: I've watched the 2011 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins on ESPN Brasil. At that Game 7, the Canucks did not play nothing, they were dominated by Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara and the Bruins. They were beaten by the Black and Gold, 4-0. The final series score: 4 games to 3 for the Bruins. I saw many Canucks fans crying at the game 7's final seconds. And after that, many fans made an infamous riot just like in 1994 after the Rangers beat the.

Many Canucks fans blamed Marty McSorley for this traumatic loss and the lack of competence that Canucks had in the final two games.

I can't remember a single Canucks fan blaming Marty McSorley, a guy who never played for Vancouver and had been out of hockey for ten years by the time that series happened, for losing the 2011 finals. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also worth noting that when Nos Glorieux won there were no Raptors (or Grizzlies), no MLS teams anywhere and the current Jets did not even exist as the Thrashers. The assorted Canadian "major league" teams really have no relation to one another, and as a fan I feel no kinship to any other Canadian club sports team outside of the ones I root for. We are not a monolith!

17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I can't remember a single Canucks fan blaming Marty McSorley, a guy who never played for Vancouver and had been out of hockey for ten years by the time that series happened, for losing the 2011 finals. 

On the contrary, they blamed Roberto Luongo and that year's Canucks defencemen.

2 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

You literally posted the exact same thing earlier. You sound like a robot man.

2 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I'm a Canadian sports fan. I had never heard of the "Curse of Marty McSorley" until ThatBadDefence or whatever his name was started harping on it here as part of his LA sports fan victim complex schtick.

I'll echo what others have said. More people care about the "Curse of Marty McSorley" outside of Canada than people who have given Marty McSorley a second thought in Canada. 

And I've only heard the "Curse of Chief Wahoo" in this thread. 

So @Marcos Flamengo...please stop making stuff up. 

Archived