Why Canada hasn't won a major North American sports league title since 1993?

Marcos Flamengo

36 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm a Canadian sports fan. I had never heard of the "Curse of Marty McSorley" until ThatBadDefence or whatever his name was started harping on it here as part of his LA sports fan victim complex schtick.

I'll echo what others have said. More people care about the "Curse of Marty McSorley" outside of Canada than people who have given Marty McSorley a second thought in Canada. 

And I've only heard the "Curse of Chief Wahoo" in this thread. 

So @Marcos Flamengo...please stop making stuff up. 

Actually, I will do this. But, hey, please don't disrespect me, or @CC97 will advert you. Maybe I had wrote this 2, 3 times but I will written something new on this thread, okay?.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if anyone's touched on it yet, but your average contemporary NHL player ironically being a shrinking violet who'd prefer to play in a city that gives less of a :censored: about hockey probably plays more into Canada's futility in the Stanley Cup than anything that happened in 1993.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah I'm not sure what he's getting at. 

@Marcos Flamengo, I'm not "disrespecting" you. 

I'm telling to you that you ought to stop promoting the "Curse of Marty McSorley" and the "Curse of Chief Wahoo" like they're things people care about. 

I haven't heard a single Canadian sports fan mention them. 

And Chris isn't going to "advert" me, or any other member of the moderating staff, for telling a member to cut down on the nonsense.

38 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I'm not sure if anyone's touched on it yet, but your average contemporary NHL player ironically being a shrinking violet who'd prefer to play in a city that gives less of a :censored: about hockey probably plays more into Canada's futility in the Stanley Cup than anything that happened in 1993.

It's probably not false that many players simply don't want to bother with the off ice spotlight & perceived baggage it takes to play hockey in Canada.  FA's I mean, they seem to want to play their later years in less stressful environments.

I guess there could be some irony if Canadian NHL teams did start to more frequently take home the Cup.  If Canadian teams won more frequently, perhaps the sense of urgency from fans around here would be better rationalized, thus removing pedestals which players feel to live up to.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 minutes ago, Mockba said:

I've heard of the McSorely thing before.  I don't think it's really regarded as much, but I've heard of it.

I've never in my life heard or read about it once before this stupid thread.  I live in Toronto, am a sports fan.

@2001mark

So if Canadian teams not winning is McSorley's fault, then how come the Jays still won in 1993? If he put a curse on Canada after the '93 SCF, then the Jays should have lost since the SCF was in June and the World Series was in October. :rolleyes:

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

11 minutes ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

So if Canadian teams not winning is McSorley's fault, then how come the Jays still won in 1993? If he put a curse on Canada after the '93 SCF, then the Jays should have lost since the SCF was in June and the World Series was in October. :rolleyes:

Canada's won 3 Olympic hockey gold, The Masters, F1 title, etc since '93.  This entire charade is clickbait.

@2001mark

29 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I've never in my life heard or read about it once before this stupid thread.  I live in Toronto, am a sports fan.

Maybe Canadians are right about Toronto thinking it's the cent[re] of the universe.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It didn't sound familiar to me. My first thought was that a curse of Marty McSorley would involve the time he tried to decapitate Donald Brashear, but that was Bruin-on-Canuck crime so how would it be Canada's cross to bear?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only time I've ever heard it was that dbadefense guy brought it up as the reason why the Kings hadn't won a cup before because he was obsessed with playing the tortured fan victim role. Then they won two cups and he got suspended for a different reason and then never came back. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Canada won every Stanley Cup from 1984-1990. If you go back 30 cups the numbers almost line up perfectly for how many cups you could reasonably expect for a league with 7 teams out of 30 to be from north of the border*. 

If the streak continues another 10 years then it'd be alarming, but I think somebody's going to figure it out before then. Probably Edmonton with McDavid. 

*I realize there were more/less than 7 Canadian teams and less than 30 teams in the league. That's why I used the word "almost".

PvO6ZWJ.png

I always thought the Canadian title drought and curses and whatever really began the following year with Vancouver/Rangers in the '94 Cup Finals.

I say this because prior to that series, Canadian teams had won 8 of 10 Stanley Cups from 1984-1993 (Or if you want to go way back, the Islanders dynasty interrupted a LONG stretch of Canadian Cup winners from 1976-1993).

Other than the Isles/Penguins, the NHL for nearly 20 years was basically dominated by Canada.

(And if you REALLY want to go far back, other than Detroit, the NHL was basically dominated by Montreal and Toronto for nearly 30 years in the Original Six era save for Chicago's 1961 Cup.)

Save for Detroit, Chicago was the only other American team to win a Cup for decades until Bobby Orr's iconic flying goal.

But it really flipped the script with 1994- Vancouver could have continued the Canada Cup ownage. But NY broke their curse and it really flipped the script.

I don't think it was a McSorley Curse (if anything, that was moreso an LA Kings thing- they lost 14 straight playoff games starting with that- that finally ended with their 2012 breakthrough.

The fact that it was a Canadian team that allowed the Rangers' 54 year Cup drought to end (which by that point was almost as legendary as the Cubs' drought was) I thought was a potential sign of things to come.

killing time at work. Did the math. 

I went from 1985-2015 so the math was easier. Over that 30 cup window there's been an average of 26.7 teams in the NHL and an average of 6.63 Canadian teams in the NHL (8/24 and 7/21 at different points. A whole third!) This means that if you take 26.7 and divide it by 6.63 you can find that it'd be expected that a Canadian team should win it all about every 4.027 years. From the Oilers of 85 through the Blackhawks of 2015 Canada has won 7 out of those 30 cups which comes to....about one cup every 4.285 years. You were performing above expectations, Canada!

Not winning last year is when it really began to turn in our favor. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Montreal could very well do it this year. Calgary and Edmonton came inches away semi-recently.

I hope that the Montreal Canadiens or the Ottawa Senators or the Edmonton Oilers or the Flames will break the McSorley curse this year, if they continuing play well and making a great Stanley Cup playoff run. Canadian teams have learned of what happened last season and now they're going pretty well. I'm just talking about the four best Canadian teams so far in the NHL regular season.

Just now, McCarthy said:

killing time at work. Did the math. 

I went from 1985-2015 so the math was easier. Over that 30 cup window there's been an average of 26.7 teams in the NHL and an average of 6.63 Canadian teams in the NHL (8/24 and 7/21 at different points. A whole third!) This means that if you take 26.7 and divide it by 6.63 you can find that it'd be expected that a Canadian team should win it all about every 4.027 years. From the Oilers of 85 through the Penguins of Canada has won 7 out of the last 30 cups which comes to....about one cup every 4.285 years. You were performing above expectations, Canada!

Not winning last year is when it really began to turn in our favor. 

Absolutely. What a nice math lesson you just made.

Archived