The National Volleyball League(9/30 New York logos added)

72freebie

Hello Everyone and welcome to my brand new project. The National Volleyball League I have been planning this project out since mid July and I am so excited to finally start it. Basically what this is, is a world where Volleyball is one of the most popular sports n North America and there is a 30 team processional mens league that spans through United States and Canada. It is basically the volleyball version of the NBA,NFL,MLB and NHL. I personally play high school volleyball and I absolutely love it. I always love watching Volleyball in the Olympics and I think that it is a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. I think a major league in volleyball would be amazing and I wanted to bring my ideas to life on these boards. this will be a big change of pace for me as I am creating all original logos and uniforms for all 30 franchises. This is by far my most ambitious project that  have ever done but I really feel like I am up for it.  So here we go with the title page for the league.

NVL.png

This title page features the official league logo which features a silhouette of a player smashing a volleyball. The NVL abbreviation follows with the shield design and the two blue lines beside the player represent the borders of a volleyball court. The red, blue and white color scheme follows the NFL,NBA and MLB because I felt that it should really feel like it is an elite league like those ones. The league wordmark is below the logo and is fairly simple but uses a powerful font. The 30 teams are shown on the side of the page in their 5 teams divisions and conferences. The Easter and Western Conference logos are shown at the top to show what conference each team will play in. I chose 8 Canadian cities and 22 American cities for this league. Volleyball is very big where I come form and I think that Canada would do well with 8 teams in this league.

Here is also a bigger version of the Eastern and Western conference logos

EAST-AND-WEST-LOGOS.png

These logos go together well as they point opposite ways and have opposite gradients and colors. I really like how these turned out and I hope you guys like them.

So there is the introduction to the league. The first team is already finished and I may post it later tonight. I would love to hear what everyone thinks of this idea because I know that it will be fairly unique for these boards as volleyball is not brought up very much. Each team will be posted with logos, jerseys and a court. Without further ado, I officially declare this project started.

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would St. Louis be in the western division and then Kansas City in the east? It makes no geographical sense whatsoever. Also, you misspelled Ottawa. 

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

1 hour ago, GoGamecocks29 said:

Why would St. Louis be in the western division and then Kansas City in the east? It makes no geographical sense whatsoever. Also, you misspelled Ottawa. 

Nice catch. Don't know how I screwed that up. I'll update it soon.

50 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Excited for this as a fellow HS volleyball player... are the uniforms going to be sleeved or sleeveless?

I second this as another former HS and college volleyball player. And I am also wondering sleeves or no. But I am just very excited to see volleyball on the boards! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Alright here we go with the first team. Before I talk about the team I will talk about the uniforms throughout the league. The leagues main jersey and shoe supplier is Mizuno. The league will use sleeved jerseys and each team must have a home,away and alternate set. Each team will also have their own custom shoe that every player on the team must wear.

So onto our first team, the Charlotte Royalty. I went with a very unique name for Charlotte and wanted to go this route because of the city's nickname(the queen city). I found this to be a perfect opportunity to use the crown that is always used as an icon for the city. No certain reason for the purple and silver color scheme but I thought that it fit the name.

Charlotte.png

The home and away jerseys use some curved sleeve striping that also shows up down the side of the shorts. The alternate jersey uses a large secondary logo on the front with a sash design to fit the Royalty name

Charlotte-Jerseys.png

and here is the court design

Charlotte-Court.png

So there is the first team, I'm glad to hear that I have got some people's attention and I would love some great C@C on this

Charlotte looks very sharp. It gives off an LA Kings vibe, 80's jerseys with a more modern color scheme. 

Also, I would put St. Louis in the West and Chicago in the East. Then, maybe, swap Portland and Sakatoon.

If you want to keep Canadian teams together, possibly, swap Chicago with Winnipeg instead, the switch Winnipeg and Seattle.

Just something to consider, but at the very least switch STL and Chicago. 

Love the first set! I just feel the individual crown would be improved by adding another layer to the bottom, something as simple as adding the white CHARLOTTE box, keeping or removing the CHARLOTTE. I'd also switch the C on the logo to purple with a light outline.

But all in all, I'm enjoining the creativity, iconic design, Easter eggs and great colour scheme.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Ooooo thee old game of Volleyball???! Great logos, not sure about the jerseys for Charlotte. Maybe try a more soccer style sash for alternate? Or use the sash for home/away and the alternate can have e curved sleeves. I do agree that the geographical alignment of the divisions seem... A bit off, though idk if you're trying to do more of an NFL style alignment (rivalries over everything). Is his an already established league or is this allsupposed to be a 'new' league? If it's established why not write a bit about each team and players, it would also help the designs seem more real.

and I don't want to be 'that guy' but is this a league you would make into a fictional history league? Like AFA and PHL?

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

4 hours ago, CodeG said:

Ooooo thee old game of Volleyball???! Great logos, not sure about the jerseys for Charlotte. Maybe try a more soccer style sash for alternate? Or use the sash for home/away and the alternate can have e curved sleeves. I do agree that the geographical alignment of the divisions seem... A bit off, though idk if you're trying to do more of an NFL style alignment (rivalries over everything). Is his an already established league or is this allsupposed to be a 'new' league? If it's established why not write a bit about each team and players, it would also help the designs seem more real.

and I don't want to be 'that guy' but is this a league you would make into a fictional history league? Like AFA and PHL?

I will work on realignment the divisions a bit, any ideas for that would be great by the way. This is a completely original league and there is nothing like this in North America right now. I have no intentions to make histories for each team right now. My inspiration for this project is the Professional Dodgeball Coalition by Windell918. He built a league from the ground up for an obscure sport and that is basically what I am going for.

From now on, I think I will post logos for the teams first so that I can make adjustments from you guys before I finalize the jerseys and court. So the next team is the Edmonton Northerners. I went with this name because Edmonton seems to have a lot of teams based on northern Canada for some reason. They have the Eskimos in the CFL and once had a roller hockey team called the Sled Dogs. If someone could explain this to me then that wold really help. I went with a Inuit Mascot logo in a traditional winter cloak and For one of my first human logos, I don't think it ended up too bad. The Northerners name is original and I think it would just go over better than a team called the Inuit. The secondary logo uses the shape of the shield from the Edmonton coat of arms with an E and a maple leaf at the bottom. Thank you for all of the comments so far.

Edmonton.png

3 hours ago, 72freebie said:

From now on, I think I will post logos for the teams first so that I can make adjustments from you guys before I finalize the jerseys and court. So the next team is the Edmonton Northerners. I went with this name because Edmonton seems to have a lot of teams based on northern Canada for some reason. They have the Eskimos in the CFL and once had a roller hockey team called the Sled Dogs. If someone could explain this to me then that wold really help. I went with a Inuit Mascot logo in a traditional winter cloak and For one of my first human logos, I don't think it ended up too bad. The Northerners name is original and I think it would just go over better than a team called the Inuit. The secondary logo uses the shape of the shield from the Edmonton coat of arms with an E and a maple leaf at the bottom. Thank you for all of the comments so far.

Edmonton.png

What about Northmen instead? It kinda fools off the tongue a bit better. I like the colors, can't wait for the jerseys. As to why Edmonton has a lot of Northy type names it's because (I believe) it's the northern most city in the world (or at least NA) with over 1 million people. (I will make a suggestion for the division realignment after this) 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

3 hours ago, 72freebie said:

Edmonton.png

What about Northmen instead? It kinda fools off the tongue a bit better. I like the colors, can't wait for the jerseys. As to why Edmonton has a lot of Northy type names it's because (I believe) it's the northern most city in the world (or at least NA) with over 1 million people. (I will make a suggestion for the division realignment after this) 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

For a possible division realignment how about this

Western Conference

North Pacific Division

Seattle

Vancouver

Portland

Edmonton

Calgary

South West Division

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Sacramento 

Phoenix 

Salt Lake City

Great Plains Division

Denver

Minneapolis

Kansas City

Saskatoon 

Winnipeg (previously East Conf.)

Eastern Conference

North East Division

Boston

New York City

Toronto

Ottawa 

Quebec City (Why not Montreal? It's the 6th biggest city in NA where QC doesn't have more than 1 mil?)

Central Division

Chicago (previously West Conf,)

Detroit

Cincinnati

St Louis

Memphis

South Division

Orlando 

Atlanta 

Charlotte

Houston

New Orleans

This divisional setup would work better than anything NFL, MLB, or NBA (at least to me)

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

3 hours ago, CodeG said:

For a possible division realignment how about this

Western Conference

North Pacific Division

Seattle

Vancouver

Portland

Edmonton

Calgary

South West Division

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Sacramento 

Phoenix 

Salt Lake City

Great Plains Division

Denver

Minneapolis

Kansas City

Saskatoon 

Winnipeg (previously East Conf.)

Eastern Conference

North East Division

Boston

New York City

Toronto

Ottawa 

Quebec City (Why not Montreal? It's the 6th biggest city in NA where QC doesn't have more than 1 mil?)

Central Division

Chicago (previously West Conf,)

Detroit

Cincinnati

St Louis

Memphis

South Division

Orlando 

Atlanta 

Charlotte

Houston

New Orleans

This divisional setup would work better than anything NFL, MLB, or NBA (at least to me)

Hey thanks a lot! I will make these changes in the next post. I agree on Montreal over Quebec now too. makes more sense. Also I think Northmen does sound a lot better. Thanks for all of your help.

Archived