(Edit 12/30/16)

Took a break for a couple days but I will get back to it soon to do some fixes on LA, and Washington for sure..maybe some others)

I wanted to start a project that would get my creativity going, and kind of kick-start me back into the mood of graphic design.

I decided to create my ideal NHL. (formerly "perfect", but nothings perfect)

This is what I personally would change, or not change as far as teams logos are concerned.

I accept all thoughts, ideas, proposed changes etc.....

******NOT ALL THESE DESIGNS ARE MINE.******

Some are obviously based on teams past and present logo archives. Some are from concepts created that I found online.

I will recognize each and every aspect of a logo, or entire logos that are not mine, and give 100% credit where credit is due.

Most teams have a current logo, and a source logo (the logo used for my inspiration to my own)

I will explain the best I can how I came up with the thought behind each chosen logo.

I know most of them are color changes, but remember..this started as a project to get me motivated back into graphic design. There will be more custom projects to follow :)

ANAHEIM DUCKS

CURRENT LOGO USED BY TEAM:

ANAHEIM DUCKS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO USED FOR MY VERSION:

ANAHEIM DUCKS SOURCE LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (ALTERED ORIGINAL MIGHTY DUCKS LOGO)

ANAHEIM DUCKS MY VERSION.png

- I wanted to revert back to the old Mighty Ducks logo because I think it's more recognizable than the current webbed "D", it has attitude, and I just like it a whole lot better.

- I felt the original colors were good to use since they are very unique, but I also wanted to incorporate the more 'orangey' orange for the sticks and the whole "Orange County" reference.

- I removed the shading from inside the holes for the mask.

ARIZONA COYOTES

ARIZONA COYOTES CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (REVERT BACK TO ORIGINAL PHOENIX COYOTES LOGO)

ARIZONA COYOTES MY VERSION.png

- Pretty much the same thought process as the Ducks. I wanted the older logo because of its attitude. The new one just really really doesn't do anything for me.

- I figure the old logo will do good with an updated jersey, with the use of the dark maroon, and off-white for striping. Keep the crazy amount of colors strictly to the logo itself.

BOSTON BRUINS

BOSTON BRUINS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (ALTERED SHADE OF YELLOW)

BOSTON BRUINS MY VERSION.png

- Small change to the yellow. Made if more of a distinct yellow, instead of the often used "golden yellow" around the NHL.

BUFFALO SABRES

BUFFALO SABRES CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGOS (2):

BUFFALO SABRES SOURCE LOGO 1.pngBUFFALO SABRES SOURCE LOGO 2.png

MY  VERSION:

BUFFALO SABRES MY VERSION.png

- I really enjoyed the outcome of this one.

- I asked myself, how could I make such a non-photogenic animal appear menacing for the Sabres. I like the total idea of the swords and the buffalo, but something just wasn't fully there for me to love it. I decided to remove the heavy blue from inside the circle, changed it to white keeping the overall look that people love, but giving it a modern feel.

- Some people may not like the light grey within the white, but I attempted to make the wordmark and buffalo blue, and it just didn't give the look I wanted. I like the slightly subliminal approach. To each his own I suppose.

CALGARY FLAMES

CALGARY FLAMES CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (REMOVE BLACK OUTLINE)

CALGARY FLAMES MY VERSION.png

- Simply removed the black outline. Is it necessary at all???

CAROLINA HURRICANES

CAROLINA HURRICANES CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (MODIFIED)

CAROLINA HURRICANES MY VERSION.png

- Changed the center to a more simplistic design.

- Thickened the silver outline.

- I feel as though there is a slight sense of movement the way it is offset. Didn't think this logo needed a major overhaul, but at the same time...something was not right.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS (NO CHANGES MADE)

Chicago Blackhawks (NO CHANGES).png

COLORADO AVALANCHE

COLORADO AVALANCHE CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (MODIFIED)

COLORADO AVALANCHE MY VERSION.png

- Removed the blue oval and thickened the outline.

- I felt the oval took away from the sizing of the logo especially while on jerseys, and I felt that it really serves no purpose on a logo that isn't exactly symmetrical to begin with.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (SWITCH TO BLUE AND OFF-WHITE ALTERNATE)

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS MY VERSION.png

- I HATE everything about the current primary Columbus uses. They overused red, white and blue scheme. And the primary logo that belongs at an All-Star game, not anywhere else to represent a professional sports team.

- In comes the alternate blue and off-white canncon logo. Along with the jerseys they use to sport this logo. In my opinion this brings the overall look of the Blue Jackets from absolute worst in the league, to the top. They couldn't switch to this style in real life fast enough if you ask me.

DALLAS STARS

DALLAS STARS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO: **NOT MY DESIGN*** DESIGN CREDIT TO 'TORCH CREATIVE'

DALLAS STARS SOURCE LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

DALLAS STARS MY VERSION.png

- I took the design from Torch Creative and changed the shade of yellow to a lighter version, getting away from the brown spectrum.

- I really like the design those guys came up with, and I just can't stand the current one used by Dallas, just does not feel like a great concept to me.

DETROIT RED WINGS (NO CHANGES MADE)

DETROIT RED WINGS (NO CHANGES).png

EDMONTON OILERS

EDMONTON OILERS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

EDMONTON OILERS MY VERSION.png

- I darkened the blue, and added the copper color (once used by the team) as an outline for the orange. I think it adds a little bit extra, without taking away any of the classic aspects from the well known Oilers logo.

FLORIDA PANTHERS

FLORIDA PANTHERS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGOS: (2)

FLORIDA PANTHERS SOURCE LOGO 1.pngFLORIDA PANTHERS SOURCE LOGO 2.png

MY VERSION:

FLORIDA PANTHERS MY VERSION.png

- Not a fan of the new Panthers logo, I set out to create something that I always wanted to see, the old panther, slightly less detailed, jumping out of the sun.

- I mocked this up against their older red jerseys and this logo really pops!

HARTFORD WHALERS (TEAM ADDED) (NO CHANGES TO LOGO)

HARTFORD WHALERS (TEAM ADDED) (NO LOGO CHANGES).png

- One of the greatest logos of all time in any sport. I just had to have the Hartford Whalers back in my perfect NHL, what's not to love?

- Used original (lighter) blue and green.

LA KINGS

LA KINGS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGOS: (2)

LA KINGS SOURCE LOGO 1.pngLA KINGS SOURCE LOGO 2.png

MY VERSION:

LA KINGS MY VERSION.png

- I felt there were a ton better options than the current banner flag /  shield thing the Kings have going on right now. (Even though they've had success with it)

- I wanted purple back in the picture, along with the crown and the font from that era.

- After messing around quite a bit, this modern shield is what I came up with. I'd prefer this on a black jersey.

LAS VEGAS KNIGHTS

CURRENT LOGO USED BY TEAM:(ALL LEGAL ISSUES ASIDE)

LAS VEGAS KNIGHTS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

LAS VEGAS KNIGHTS MY VERSION.png

- Added the 'Las' to Vegas because it's just better.

- With the LA Kings change to purple for my project, I figured silver would be the best way to go for the Knights. The dark color is an EXTREMELY deep blue, almost black, and the unique shade of red outline reminds me of the Canucks when they went blue and red. At the same time this feels different to me.

- Looks a ton better than the current mud in my opinion.

MINNESOTA WILD (NO CHANGES MADE)

MINNESOTA WILD (NO CHANGES MADE).png

MONTREAL CANADIENS (NO CHANGES MADE)

MONTREAL CANADIENS (NO CHANGES MADE).png

NASHVILLE PREDATORS

NASHVILLE PREDATORS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO:

NASHVILLE PREDATORS SOURCE LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

NASHVILLE PREDATORS MY VERSION.png

- I wanted to get away from all the golden yellow parody in the NHL, so I chose to give Nashville a more mellow yellow.

- I altered the sabre-toothed cat to be more fierce.

- The dark color is a really deep greenish blue with I feel contrasts the yellow pretty well.

- All in all the changes feel pretty drastic, yet at the same time its all so familiar, I think this change would become very welcome in Tennessee once the bright orange/yellow memory wore off.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS (NO CHANGES MADE)

NEW JERSEY DEVILS CURRENT LOGO (NO CHANGES).png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (REVERT TO OLDER COLORS)

NEW YORK ISLANDERS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (ONLY CHANGED BACK TO 97/98 SHADE OF BLUE)

NEW YORK ISLANDERS MY VERSION (DARKER BLUE).png

- I think the darker blue really really brings out the orange over the lighter blue. There's really little else to be said about this classic gem of a logo.

NEW YORK RANGERS (NO CHANGES MADE)

NEW YORK RANGERS CURRENT LOGO.png

OTTAWA SENATORS (CHANGE TO TEAMS ALTERNATE AS PRIMARY)

OTTAWA SENATORS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (ALTERNATE LOGO FROM SENATORS ARCHIVE)

OTTAWA SENATORS MY VERSION (ALTERNATE FROM SENATORS LOGO ARCHIVE USED).png

- I do not like the current Senators logo. At all. I see what they were going for, but in my opinion, it failed. Meanwhile they have this beauty^ as an alternate. They need to make the switch ASAP.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (NO CHANGES MADE)

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (NO CHANGES MADE).png

- My favorite team!!! Sweeeeeeet logo.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS (REVERT TO 'ROBOPENGUIN' BUT USE BRIGHTER YELLOW)

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (REVERT BACK TO THE ROBO-PENGUIN OF THE 90'S)

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS MY VERSION (ROBO PENGUIN).png

- Although I really actually do like the skating penguin a whole lot, I feel the infamous robo-penguin is much classier and noble. It was a back and forth on this one.

QUEBEC NORDIQUES (TEAM ADDED) (LOGO TWEAKED)

ORIGINAL LOGO USED BY TEAM:

QUEBEC NORDIQUES ORIGINAL LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

QUEBEC NORDIQUES MY VERSION.png

- I thought the original Nordiques logo needed to be touched up slightly. The darker red makes the lighter blue stand out to me. Hopefully to everyone else also.

SAN JOSE SHARKS (SWITCH TO 25TH ANNIVERSARY SWIMMING SHARK)

SAN JOSE SHARKS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO:

SAN JOSE SHARKS SOURCE LOGO (25TH ANNIVERSARY).png

MY VERSION:

SAN JOSE SHARKS MY VERSION.png

- It's hard to go wrong with any of the sharks logos, so I chose to go with the version without a triangle behind. Love these damn logos, top notch.

ST. LOUS BLUES

ST. LOUIS BLUES CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

ST. LOUIS BLUES MY VERSION.png

- I wanted to go with the lighter blue for the inside, it just felt better than having the darker version.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (SWITCH TO ALTERNATE LOGO) (COLOR CHANGE)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO: (ALTERNATE FROM LIGHTNING LOGO ARCHIVE)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING SOURCE LOGO (ALTERNATE FROM LIGHTNING LOGO ARCHIVE).png

MY VERSION:

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING MY VERSION.png

- Didn't like the use of such a dark blue when I felt a lighter, more "electric" blue would look GREAT with a black jersey. (The letters and bolt(s) on the inside will stay white. Really brings the team identity to life.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (NO CHANGES MADE)

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (NO CHANGES MADE).png

VANCOUVER CANUCKS (SWITCH TO JOHNNY CANUCK LOGO AS PRIMARY)

VANCOUVER CANUCKS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION: (ALTERNATE FROM CANUCKS LOGO ARCHIVE)

VANCOUVER CANUCKS MY VERSION (JOHNNY CANUCK ALTERNATE FROM THE CANUCKS LOGO ARCHIVE).png

- It does take a little getting used to seeing this guy in all his glory on the front of a jersey (pictures do exist), but it's well worth it, and I think it would finally give all Vancouver fans what they really wanted all along.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS (MODIFIED ALTERNATE 'WEAGLE' LOGO AS PRIMARY)

WASHINGTON CAPITALS CURRENT LOGO.png

SOURCE LOGO: (ALTERNATE 'WEAGLE' FROM CAPITALS LOGO ARCHIVE)

WASHINGTON CAPITALS SOURCE LOGO (WEAGLE ALTERNATE FROM CAPITALS LOGO ARCHIVE).png

MY VERSION:

WASHINGTON CAPITALS MY VERSION.png

- This really could be my favorite creation from the whole set. I was back and forth on if I should keep the sticks or not, but they balance out the 3 stars that represent the D.C. flag.

WINNIPEG JETS (COLORS ALTERED)

WINNIPEG JETS CURRENT LOGO.png

MY VERSION:

WINNIPEG JETS MY VERSION.png

- I just don't believe the grey is necessary. Although it doesn't look bad on the logo as a whole, the current jerseys they use (beautiful in my eyes) don't really call for grey to be used, so I decided to make a more jersey friendly version. Don't miss out on the white outline that makes the whole thing look great on, you guessed it, those b e a u t i f u l   jerseys!!!

That's it (for now)

Let me know what you guys think!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

While I like what you've got posted, They seem like nice designs, but mostly just recolorings.

Any jerseys planned?

This is really just what started as a motivation to get back in to designing.  but it quickly turned in to something I really enjoyed. I had started doing the logos on simple squares with a jersey texture, but decided to post the logs first, and see what kind of attention this brought. I'm not ready to start doing jersey mockups just yet but maybe some time down the road..........

Something seems off about the Washington Capitals logo. The current angle of the hockey sticks gave me a "the eagle is sitting down" vibe and a "I've fallen and I can't get up" vibe.

I like the logo for the most part. I would probably make the shield a little bigger so that it lines up with the edges of the wings and covers up the remainder of the dome cutout and have the sticks coming out at an angle rather than horizontal.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

15 hours ago, C_Malk0 said:

Love Nashville and Tampa updates, and the subtle changes to Carolina and Vegas are great. Not crazy about the Penguins and Kings tweaks however

Thanks, Pittsburgh was basically as I said just down to my personal choice from their actual logo archives. I'm not opposed to the skating penguin at all.

The Kings have gotten the most feedback and I will most definitely be changing them in the near future.

Thanks again for taking a look!

I like them. I especially like the San Jose anniversary logo as the primary. I love the color change to the Jets too.

Agreed that the Kings should be updated. The buffalo on the Sabres logo should be darkened, maybe to navy?

Also, on a side note, you have an odd number of teams. Maybe add back a defunct team (Thrashers? Barons?)

These are all super well-done. Your take on the Preds is so unique and interesting, it really has this ice-age sort of feel that suits the name perfectly. I'm also glad I am not the only one who prefers the Columbus thirds way more than their regular set.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2017 at 1:22 PM, Oda Phi said:

May I use your Hurricanes logo, its bad ass.

It does in my opinion look more like an eye then the current logo. Plus it seems to move, watching you.

I will credit where credit is due and link.

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while, went through a move and decided to persue video editing......

Anyway, you can use that logo but please shout me out! I'd appreciate it.

On 1/4/2017 at 4:03 PM, henburg said:

These are all super well-done. Your take on the Preds is so unique and interesting, it really has this ice-age sort of feel that suits the name perfectly. I'm also glad I am not the only one who prefers the Columbus thirds way more than their regular set.

Thank you for the positive review! I absolutely despise the current Columbus logo also.

Archived