Point1's OHL Rebrand (9/20: Guelph Storm)

Point1

Happy Holidays everyone! Since I'm at home for the next few weeks I have a chance to work on a new project. Inspired by 72freebie's awesome CHL series, I'm going to undertake a full rebrand of the Ontario Hockey League. Some of you might remember my NHL series, which isn't completely dead, but spending a lot of time in OHL barns this year has made me think about how outdated and often inexplicably weird a lot of their branding is. I really like older junior logos that are simpler and more to the point, without growling mascots or cartoons - the ones that stand the test of time. That's the style I'll be going for here.

#1 - Barrie Colts

The Barrie Colts have existed in the OHL for over 20 years, always with the same logo. While I applaud that consistency, their cartoon horse mark doesn't do it for me at all. The mascot looks on the verge of tears, and it suffers from unnecessary hockey stick syndrome. My new mark - undeniably inspired by the Montreal Canadiens - uses the horseshoe as a C and simplifies things a lot. Like the Habs, I chose not to use a distinct secondary logo and let the primary stand on its own. The secondary on the logo sheet is a jersey mark, and the tertiary is to be used on the pants as well as a possible future third jersey. As for the jerseys, Ontarians will notice that they might be more appropriate for a Kingston uniform, but the combo of navy red and gold looks best in my opinion without being diluted by white. I used the front stripe on the home jersey but chose to accent the arms instead of the chest on the aways.

GwvUdlk.png

UgjHLPF.png

C & C appreciated as always. Next up, the Erie Otters.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey thanks for the shoutout! Glad that I inspired someone to start a series. The logo is really nice and I think they definitely need to switch to something like this. The jerseys are box but I don't like the having a chest strip and the away not having it. I would get rid of it and add the stripes to either the hem or maybe even the yoke.

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

Thanks for the input guys! I'll look at possibly updating the jerseys, although I prefer the way the logo looks with the red chest stripe. 

#2 - Erie Otters

If you thought the Colts had a messy identity... The Otters similarly have kept the same logo for two decades and it's even worse than the Colts'. The cartoon doesn't even look like an otter at all, there's a huge hockey stick and about 5 colours that blend like crazy. The jerseys are even worse; it's a shame that Connor McDavid had to wear a bucket-fill edge template for his dominant years in junior. Their gold third jersey, however, is actually pretty nice, and forms the basis of this set. For the logo, I went a lot simpler. Rendering an otter that doesn't just look cute is tough, and I went more for dignified. I added in a brighter blue as the third colour to gold and navy and used a more traditional template.

JfIce5K.png

LxZfVnl.png

Thanks guys, and keep the C&C coming!

Really nice start to the series so far. The Colts' logo is very well done, and the tertiary in particular is quite strong. I think as a mark overall it would work better if you kept the bold white stroke from the tertiary, and added the thinner yellow outline to that. As it is now there are some line weight inconsistencies among the three marks. I'm not sure if you're using a vector program, and if not I can understand how it might be a challenge to replicate the exact same line weights. Conceptually though, nicely done.

The Otter's logo is again quite well done. I think you've rendered the face in a way that eliminates any cuteness that you mentioned. The Otter certainly looks tough. I find the way the light blue body shape ends slightly jarring. Might be helpful to extend it further up the leg, or in the body, and follow the shape of the O. Again there are some line inconsistencies, particularly with the yellow stroke around the feet, but that's just an aside. Conceptually again I really like what you're doing. The jerseys are very nice, and I'm a fan of the colour scheme, without the red. I look forward to seeing a few more teams!

19 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

Really nice start to the series so far. The Colts' logo is very well done, and the tertiary in particular is quite strong. I think as a mark overall it would work better if you kept the bold white stroke from the tertiary, and added the thinner yellow outline to that. As it is now there are some line weight inconsistencies among the three marks. I'm not sure if you're using a vector program, and if not I can understand how it might be a challenge to replicate the exact same line weights. Conceptually though, nicely done.

The Otter's logo is again quite well done. I think you've rendered the face in a way that eliminates any cuteness that you mentioned. The Otter certainly looks tough. I find the way the light blue body shape ends slightly jarring. Might be helpful to extend it further up the leg, or in the body, and follow the shape of the O. Again there are some line inconsistencies, particularly with the yellow stroke around the feet, but that's just an aside. Conceptually again I really like what you're doing. The jerseys are very nice, and I'm a fan of the colour scheme, without the red. I look forward to seeing a few more teams!

Thanks so much for the input everyone! I agree with you that I really like the tertiary mark and how bold it is. One reason I shied away from it is because I had trouble translating it to look good on white but I'm definitely open to revisiting it. I feel you on the Otter, the foot does look a bit awkward given how it ends. I'll definitely take another look at that one.

The Firebirds might take a few days, I was originally going to use their current logo but I've had a change of heart and I'm gonna start from scratch. In the meantime if anyone else has any input it's much appreciated! And @New York's Greatest, I might disappoint you on the Pete's since I'm partial to their old identity. ;) 

17 minutes ago, Point1 said:

And @New York's Greatest, I might disappoint you on the Pete's since I'm partial to their old identity. ;) 

I don't know its hard for the Pete's to disappoint me...unless its literally just Peter Griffin's face or Pete's lazily scribbled on.

By the way, program are you using to make these I don't remember if you stated this or not?

2 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

I don't know its hard for the Pete's to disappoint me...unless its literally just Peter Griffin's face or Pete's lazily scribbled on.

By the way, program are you using to make these I don't remember if you stated this or not?

I don't want to show my hand too much, but let's just say it comes preloaded on Windows computers...

2 hours ago, Point1 said:

I don't want to show my hand too much, but let's just say it comes preloaded on Windows computers...

Ah, that explains the pixelation. Great designs and ideas regardless. Props :) 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

Ah, that explains the pixelation. Great designs and ideas regardless. Props :) 

I do run all logos through VectorMagic, but I think the Otters one may have been size reduced, explaining why it looks pixellated.

So I accidentally deleted the entire Firebirds jersey file but I started again from scratch just because I care about you guys. 

#3 - Flint Firebirds

So this is the first team in the series whose logo really isn't that bad. It's a bit busy, and the orange does not sit well with the grey, but overall it's one of the more well-designed marks in the OHL. However, I think it has a little too much in common with the minor league logo style in baseball; it's well-rendered but still cartoony and the wordmark is unnecessary. While I played with just modifying the logo, I finally decided to start over. The Firebirds brand is still associated with the franchise's disastrous 2015-16 season. I considered renaming them the Falcons, which I might still be amenable to. The logo is very simple, evoking the Red Wings' mark while being entirely its own. Instead of big flaming wings, I went a bit more subtle. The jerseys, instead of using the Sabres' third jersey template, are inspired by the logoset as well.

tdccoDx.png

HqHEaUv.png

Happy new years and please give C&C!

That logo is AMAZING! It works for junior hockey, but still doesn't have the cartoony look that most logos have.

For the jerseys, I think they support the logo very nicely.

The secondary logo is giving me a car badge vibe, and I like it.

(Just a few things to note, the sleeve numbers on the back of the blue jersey are white, the sleeve numbers also say 11 when they should say 10, and the one is backwards on the back sleeve numbers)

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Archived