CALPROSOL - Fictional Soccer League (Team 32/40 Mission Santa Ines)

rsaline

Welcome everyone to the California Professional Soccer League or CALPROSOL!

I’ve been working on this project for over a year now, but I’m very slow and meticulous, so you may have already seen state-based leagues on the boards. Nevertheless, I’m excited to present these concepts to you and get some feedback.

This fictitious league features 40 of the premier clubs in California. Many soccer clubs existed in California in the late 19th and 20th centuries, but they mostly played independent exhibitions. In 1935, 10 of the top clubs organized to form “The California League” or “La Liga California”. Expansions began after World War II in 1948 as the state and national economies began to grow. Today, the 40 CALPROSOL teams make up one of the largest and most profitable soccer leagues in the world.

Below you will find some helpful information regarding the league history, season format, and aesthetic standards.

League Info.png

The existing season format was introduced in 1988 as a way to reward teams for more complete seasons as well as give every team a chance to win the California Cup.

Concepts are coming soon, just bear with me!

I have a lot planned for this project, but for now, you will just see club identities and kits from the 2015-16 season. Here are some of the other things I hope to complete eventually:

• Kits for future seasons
  • Goalkeeper kits
  • Simulated seasons on Football Manager or something similar
  • Stadium renderings (perhaps SketchUp or Revit, but probably not)
  • Training gear, fan gear (scarves, shirts, hats and the like)
  • Historical kits

You are more than welcome to give C&C, but I can’t guarantee I'll use it. You understand, right?

Without further ado, let’s get started!

TL;DR – I’m going to make soccer concepts, I hope you like them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the first team!

Burbank Soccer Club

Established: 1948

Joined CALPROSOL: 1951

Championships: (1) 1966

Home Grounds: Yoyodyne Park

Kit manufacturer: Umbro

Kit Sponsor: Dinoco Oil and Gas

Say hello to the Shooting Stars! Burbank S.C. was formed by a group WWII military veterans looking for a little fun after Lockheed Corporation's production began to slow at the close of the war. The club grew quickly in following and was invited to join the then California League during it's second wave of expansion. The nickname "Shooting Stars" was chosen by new club owner Walt Disney Company in 1971 as a way to link the city's aerospace and film industries. Burbank historically wears Blue-White-Blue as their primary kit. The club crest features a hexagonal shape derived from the city seal. Recently, Burbank have built a tradition of wearing third kits evocative of popular Disney movies. This trend first began in 1995 with the premier of "Toy Story", but became an annual occurrence after the 2003 blockbuster "Finding Nemo". 2015-16's third kit pays homage to the return of "Star Wars" with a reference to Poe Dameron's helmet.

Presentation.png

Well this is unfortunate for me, I was planning to do a California-based soccer league for my next project!  Looks like I'll put that on the back burner and hatch another scheme. :D

This is great though!  I love how the league logo looks, and Burbank has a solid (and believable, that's the key here) identity and history!  I can't wait to see what other concepts this series creates, so keep up the good work!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Sporting Santa Monica

Established: 1989

Joined CALPROSOL: 1996

Championships: (2) 1999, 2014

Home Grounds: Tyrell Stadium

Kit manufacturer: Adidas

Kit Sponsor: Sabre

The SaMos are a relatively new franchise, but have already built quite the reputation in CALPROSOL. Just three years after being admitted to the league, they took the California Cup against all odds. Since 2009, they have been perennial contenders but have only achieved one more California Cup to their collection. The Sporting Santa Monica crest is modeled after the famous sign at the Santa Monica Pier. Sporting traditionally wear Blue primary kits with white shorts and blue socks. This year their kits feature heavy gradient themes from Adidas, including their "Sunset" third look complete with some questionable board shorts.

Presentation.png

1 hour ago, rsaline said:

Sorting Santa Monica

Established: 1989

Joined CALPROSOL: 1996

Championships: (2) 1999, 2014

Home Grounds: Tyrell Stadium

Kit Sponsor: Sabre

The SaMos are a relatively new franchise, but have already built quite the reputation in CALPROSOL. Just three years after being admitted to the league, they took the California Cup against all odds. Since 2009, they have been perennial contenders but have only achieved one more California Cup to their collection. The Sporting Santa Monica crest is modeled after the famous sign at the Santa Monica Pier. Sporting traditionally wear Blue primary kits with white shorts and blue socks. This year their kits feature heavy gradient themes from Adidas, including their "Sunset" third look complete with some questionable board shorts.

Presentation.png

Is it just me, or is it coincidence you have "Farmer" and "MacDonald" placed right next to each other?

eieiuh-oh

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

On 12/28/2016 at 10:36 AM, FlyingLamprey said:

Well this is unfortunate for me, I was planning to do a California-based soccer league for my next project!  Looks like I'll put that on the back burner and hatch another scheme. :D

This is great though!  I love how the league logo looks, and Burbank has a solid (and believable, that's the key here) identity and history!  I can't wait to see what other concepts this series creates, so keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words! And please show off your concepts, I'm a fan of your work. Plus, a little competition never hurt anybody, right?

On 12/30/2016 at 3:03 PM, Spanna65 said:

Sorting Santa Monica sounds like the name of a cheesy romantic comedy.

Fixed. This is not a Hallmark movie :P.

On 12/30/2016 at 3:05 PM, ZionEagle said:

Is it just me, or is it coincidence you have "Farmer" and "MacDonald" placed right next to each other?

eieiuh-oh

Haha, yes pure coincidence, but maybe you'll see more of them...

Mission Santa Clara de Asis Club Deportivo

Established: 1929

Joined CALPROSOL: 1935

Championships: (4) 1963, 1970, 1983, 2011

Home Grounds: Good Burger Grounds (AKA Nobili Park)

Kit manufacturer: Under Armour

Kit Sponsor: Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

This is your first look at the one of the Original 10 and at the unique naming conventions of CALPROSOL. Numerous of the California Missions created soccer clubs for their parishioners, some successful, others not so much. Mission Santa Clara was formed in 1929, the same year that the actually mission buildings were reopened after a 1925 fire. The church maintains its ownership of the club, but much of the operations and control of the team has been turned over to outside help. The Ganaderos (Ranchers) derive their name from the cattle-ranching industries that kept many of the Missions alive during the pre-secularization period. The round crest features a Franciscan keystone with the CA cattle brand used at Mission Santa Clara de Asis. The Ganaderos traditionally wear Black and Maroon stripes with gold trim. Their home grounds, Nobili Park, recently sold their naming rights to Good Burger, much to the dismay of their fans.

Presentation.png

Mission San Buenaventura Club de Futbol

Established: 1922

Championships: (9) 1939, 1941, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1958, 1972, 2012

Home Grounds: Estadio Buenaventura

Kit Sponsor: Wharmpess Beer

Team four is another Mission team, this time in Ventura. Much like Mission Santa Clara, Mission San Buenaventura joined CALPROSOL at its conception. As is common in most cities, locals often refer to their team as "Mission" even though there are many other mission teams. The Bonnies are the second most successful club in league history, taking home 9 California Cups. Maybe you thought the SF Giants can only win in even years? Check out Mission San Buenaventura - 7 of 9 championships in even years including 5 from 1948-58. Their crest features two bells with dates 1782 and 1922, referencing the founding of the Mission and the club. Mission wear maroon primaries, and this year's kits feature 9 crosses on the hem to honor the 9 championship teams. The tile pattern from the fountains at the Figueroa street mall is referenced on the clash kits. Estadio Buenaventura is located on the Ventura County Fairgrounds and has hosted Mission games since their establishment.

Presentation.png

• 2 weeks later...

Eight days and bumped to page 4? Alright then.

Presidio of Monterey

Established: 1947

Joined CALPROSOL: 1951

Championships: (1) 1975

Home Grounds: Soldier Field

Kit manufacturer: Puma

Kit Sponsor: Goliath National Bank

Presidio has been around since before 1947, but they were never a formally organized team. In the pre-war years, they would only ever play other military installations in the state. After formally organizing, they gained fame quickly and were admitted to CALPROSOL alongside Burbank, forming the first "Military Expansion". Whereas Burbank has been sold and moved away from its historic military ties, Presidio of Monterey still features an all-Army team, plays its games on base, and severely limits their attendance for precaution. The Presidio crest draws heavily from the Defense Language Institute's Coat of Arms. The Rosetta stone reads 1975 in ancient Greek. The alternate logo is the flag of Monterey, added to the back of kits as a way to draw the local civilians toward the team. Presidio kits are traditionally navy with a yellow sash for primaries and green secondaries. This year's third kits are based on the new Army Combat Uniform (ACU).

Presentation.png

Anaheim Sport-Verein

Established: 1963

Joined CALPROSOL: 1967

Championships: (2) 1969, 2003

Home Grounds: Glover Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim

Kit manufacturer: Nike

Kit Sponsor: Pizza Planet

Welcome to Bavaria California. Anaheim SV were established in '63 at the beginning of explosive growth in Orange County. The drew from the city's German origins to inspire their identity, which has largely remained unchanged since their inception. Anaheim have had highs and lows, but fairly consistent fans throughout. They are currently building a new stadium in the Anaheim Hills, but are temporarily located at Glover Stadium. They often play their rivalry and high profile games in Angel Stadium of Anaheim to accommodate larger crowds, but this shouldn't be necessary once their new site is complete. Anaheim SV historically wear white kits with blue sleeves. In their temporary years at ASoA, they have tried to wear red as a clash or third in order to piggyback off of the Angels brand. This year they fell victim to the Nike trend with a yellow 'Night Rising' third kit (I still think it looks good).

Presentation.png

Oxnard-Ventura Unified Football Club

Established: 1974

Joined CALPROSOL: 1974

Championships: (2) 1994, 2009

Home Grounds: River Ridge Field

Kit Sponsor: Oceanic Airlines

Ah yes, the tragic story of Oxnard and Ventura. Imagine the hatred between Seahawks and 49ers, Red Sox and Yankees, Lakers and Celtics. That was the feud that Sporting Oxnard Athletic Club and Ventura Oil Field Crew had even before their admissions to CALPROSOL in the '60s. Sadly, mismanagement, the '71 draft, and dwindling soccer interest forced the two clubs to merge in 1974. As a unified club, O-V began wearing black and green striped kits (black from Ventura Oil, green from Sporting Oxnard). After noting the flocks of birds that would "attend" their games, they chose the name "Gulls". Today they play their games at River Ridge Field which is built on the same complex that hosts Dallas Cowboys training camp.

Presentation.png

It's too bad this series isn't getting more love, but maybe that's due to the state of the Concepts board these days. I love the shape you came up with for Burbank's third kit, and the interplay between the primary and secondary color schemes really works throughout the three kits. Santa Monica's sunrise theme is smart, but I think it works best on the third kit, which is just the right mix of beautiful and extravagant. SCDP manages to strike the right connotations between a Mexican or Portuguese club aesthetic that I would imagine working well for that team identity, especially with the first kit. Mission San Buenaventura may be the concept I'd most like to see actualized irl: that shade of red is amazing and the first and second kits look classy while evoking an Old World, and then the third kit has such a well-executed heather look. I used to live all around SoCal, so I'm very much looking forward to which towns you go with as this series progresses.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

On 1/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, XenonDesigns said:

So many flawless designs, keep it up!

On 1/21/2017 at 8:14 PM, nas1787 said:

Love all the shirt sponsors

On 1/22/2017 at 2:15 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Wow...these are all amazing.

I can't wait to see what Bay Area cities get represented in the league. Chances are my hometown is too small for a team, but I have my fingers crossed anyway ha.

Thanks guys. Shirt sponsors are one of my favorite parts of this league so hopefully you'll continued to be impressed. The Bay makes up 20 percent of California's population, so you'll definitely see some good teams up there!

On 1/23/2017 at 4:56 AM, seattlesonicsofsacramento said:

It's too bad this series isn't getting more love, but maybe that's due to the state of the Concepts board these days. I love the shape you came up with for Burbank's third kit, and the interplay between the primary and secondary color schemes really works throughout the three kits. Santa Monica's sunrise theme is smart, but I think it works best on the third kit, which is just the right mix of beautiful and extravagant. SCDP manages to strike the right connotations between a Mexican or Portuguese club aesthetic that I would imagine working well for that team identity, especially with the first kit. Mission San Buenaventura may be the concept I'd most like to see actualized irl: that shade of red is amazing and the first and second kits look classy while evoking an Old World, and then the third kit has such a well-executed heather look. I used to live all around SoCal, so I'm very much looking forward to which towns you go with as this series progresses.

Thanks for the comments. I really like the Adidas heather kits from the past two years, hopefully you'll see more!

Los Angeles City Fitness Club

Established: 1911

Championships: (1) 1938

Home Grounds: Wrigley Field

Kit manufacturer: Nike

Kit Sponsor: Cyberdyne Systems Corp.

Here's another of the Original 10: LA City! The Redshirts are one of the oldest clubs in California, but one of the least successful. They've only won the California Cup once when there were only 10 teams, and are under what many would call the Curse of the Valley of the Bears (San Luis Obispo).Any time LA City has come close to a championship, SLO got in the way somehow. The club's crest has never been changed since their establishment as a group of fitness gurus. The Redshirts wear red (no way!) but tend to mix up shorts and socks. The  15-16 clash kits feature zig-zag patterns on the sleeves from the club crest and the Los Angeles city flag. Unfortunately, LA City also fell victim to the Nike Night Rising thirds, but the green is a nice color. Each kit features the team motto "Pintalo Rojo" on the back, which rougly translates to "Paint it Red". They play their matches in a remodeled Wrigley Field (former home of the Los Angeles Angels).

Presentation.png

Santa Ana Unified Football Club

Established: 1967

Joined CALPROSOL: 1967

Championships: (1) 1986

Home Grounds: Eddie West Field

Kit manufacturer: Under Armour

Kit Sponsor: JJ's Diner

The Blue Suns were built as a part of the "OC Football" program that CALPROSOL implemented in 1967. Although many teams that joined the league were established years before, "OC Football" teams were truly expansion franchises. Santa Ana have played like an expansion franchise for most of their existence, with one lone championship in 1986. However with a GM in place, things may finally be on an upward trend for the club. They play their games at Eddie West Field which is more commonly referred to as the Santa Ana Bowl by locals. They have their biggest rivalries with other OC clubs like Anaheim and Irvine. Santa Ana wear navy and athletic gold diagonal-halved kits, but rumor has them moving to some better and brighter and more shades soon to restore team history! They experimented with the Under Armour "bra" template, but the sublimated Native American pattern works quite well if you ask me. The booming breakfast chain JJ's Diner has taken over sponsorship this year from Duff Beer.

Presentation.png

Archived