CALPROSOL - Fictional Soccer League (Team 32/40 Mission Santa Ines)

rsaline

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2017 at 9:35 PM, rsaline said:

Griffith Park Football Club

Established: 1924

Joined CALPROSOL: 1935

Championships: (3) 1937, 1940, 2013

Home Grounds: Grand Central Field

Kit manufacturer: Adidas

Kit Sponsor: Initech

Here's yet another Original 10, GPFC! The Ostriches are the pride of the vast Los Angeles municipal park, and take their name from the ostrich farm that was originally on the land. Like many teams in CALPROSOL, Griffith Park have a rich military history. Many of the teams early games were played on fields at the Griffith Park Aerodrome involving players from the National Guard. Later, games were held near the Old LA Zoo. Following the closure of Grand Central Air Terminal in 1959, Grand Central Field was constructed, and GPFC have played there ever since. Although they have only three championships to their name, the Ostriches maintain a competitive club that always provides an entertaining environment for pro soccer. They traditionally wear red and blue striped primary kits. Third kits usually draw inspiration from past activities of the park, such as the observatory, aviation history, hiking trails, etc.

Man this series is quite a trip. I'm glad you're still pumping them out. Since i'm a history buff and an LA native the prep for your history capsules def pop out to me.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long break, but here's another team!

Orange City Soccer Club

Established: 1996

Joined CALPROSOL: 1996

Championships: (0)

Home Grounds: The Plaza

Kit manufacturer: Macron

Kit Sponsor: InGen Corporation

Piggybacking off the success of the 1994 World Cup, the City of Orange was granted a CALPROSOL expansion franchise. Naturally, the club's identity followed the City's identity: Orange. Also following in the City's footsteps, OCSC is often referenced by its nickname, Plaza City. This is a reference to Orange being the only city in Orange County being designed around a plaza. OCSC have never won the CALPROSOL Cup, but have finished as high as 3rd. They traditionally wear Orange at home, blue as a clash (sometimes white), and some flashy designs for third kits. They recently updated their boring Orange "O" crest to a modern "Orange Slice". If you ask me, it's a Dolphins-esque rebrand that looks a lot like Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

RmB9Lpw.png

No comments but that's okay, because we're moving on!

Berkeley Old Boys Football Club

Established: 1960

Joined CALPROSOL: 1967

Championships: (1) 1974

Home Grounds: Ohlone

Kit manufacturer: Kappa

Kit Sponsor: Pied Piper

You know those people who stick around their college town long after they've finished school? Maybe you're one of them? Well, that's how Old Boys started. A band of Cal grads never wanted to leave Berkeley, so they formed Old Boys FC in 1960. They salvaged equipment from Cal's men's soccer teams, and played in local parks. Soon enough, Old Boys were dominating competition up and down the state and drawing decent crowds at home. They were admitted to CALPROSOL in 1967 and won their first and only cup in 1974. Although Old Boys adopted "Bears" much like their alma mater, a cease and desist letter followed by a nasty court battle forced them to give up the nickname in 1989. They then adopted the "Sabercats" moniker, drawing inspiration from the statue located outside the old Earth Science Building on campus. Old Boys kits are royal with yellow hem stripes, a unique aesthetic feature in the league. The '15-'16 third kits are red and sand, mimicking the colors of the "Red Trains" that ran up and down the streets of Berkeley in the first half of the 20th century.

ifpVUyg.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lancaster Rockets Soccer Club

Established: 1988

Joined CALPROSOL: 1988

Home Grounds: War Eagle Field

Kit manufacturer: New Balance

Kit Sponsor: Hooli

The pride of the Antelope Valley - the Lancaster Rockets. The Rockets take their name from the rich aeronautical and aerospace history in the city, and their colors from nearby California Poppy preserve. After their founding as an expansion team in 1988, they developed a fierce rivalry with Edwards AFB. Unfortunately, neither club has won a championship since Lancaster came into the picture, so it's not exactly a high-quality matchup between the two. The Rockets are controlled by majority owner "Hurricane" Bob Hannah, motocross superstar and Lancaster native. The clash kits for '15-'16 are designed off of his racing plane, "Voodoo". Home kits are "Poppy Gold" with black sleeves, black shorts, and gold socks. Lancaster had been outfitted by Warrior for many years, but switched to parent company New Balance in 2015.

XxLZhH3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Astro West Hollywood

Established: 1996

Joined CALPROSOL: 1996

Home Grounds: Gilmore Stadium

Kit manufacturer: Adidas

Kit Sponsor: Nottingham Hotels

Go Go Astro WeHo! That's how supporters cheer on this expansion franchise. Astro West Hollywood bring lots of rowdy, entertaining fans to their games, but not a whole lot of quality play. Since their formation in '96, coinciding with CALPROSOL's expansion after the '94 World Cup, Astro WeHo has done a whole lot of nothing. They've beating their Sunset Bowl rivals Sporting Santa Monica exactly once in their history. To compensate for their lack of on-field production, Astro have come up with a unique marketing tactic - no true crest colors. Each year their home kits are white with a navy sash, but the accent colors in the crest and kit change. For '15-'16, this accent is a bright pink that fades to reddish-orange. The crest itself features deco-style neon script and faint spotlights, emulating the nightlife of West Hollywood. The Astro name was chosen as attempt to piggyback off of Hollywood's (and West Hollywood's) reputation for celebrity activity. The '15-'16 third kits were designed and released by Adidas in June 2015. But after the landmark SCOTUS ruling on Obergefell v. Kasich, the kits were redesigned with new crest patches and collars. This change came to the delight of fans and citizens, as the City of West Hollywood prides itself on being a leader in advocating for LGBTQ rights.

JDSaSAB.png

• 3 months later...

Long time, no post. Sorry for the big gap, but here's another team for you to enjoy:

Long Beach Young Men's Soccer Club

Established: 1952

Joined CALPROSOL: 1955

Championships: (2) 1959, 1979

Home Grounds: Mendl's Grounds

Kit manufacturer: Hummel

Kit Sponsor: Tantrum Maximum Caffeine Energy Drinks

It's fun to cheer for the Y! M! S! C! Organized as an after-work outlet for men in the Long Beach/Signal Hill region, the Mariners were comprised of and supported by the large blue-collar population. However, this isn't the first working-class club in the city: Signal Hill and Wilmington Oil Field Crews (OFC) briefly sponsored teams during early years of drilling. These clubs eventually petered out, but Long Beach YMSC has remained steady over the years. They clinched a title in '59, then waited 20 years for the second (ironically the year after the Village People released a classic song regarding youthful adult males). Since then, no cups, but the Mariners remain competitive every year. Their homely stadium, Mendl's Grounds, maintains its charm despite approaching 60 years old - renovations are on their way soon. The Mariners re-branded in 2012 from Blue and Yellow city-inspired colors to new shades of slate blue, sky blue, and coral to better fit the Mariners moniker. The seashell crest is also updated from the original badge, which had featured LBYM in block letters inside the shell. The jocktag of the new kits pays homage to the history with a similar mark. The alternate crest is used on kits, but the official crest features the club name over the top of the seashell and trident.

GIgwgTM.png

• 6 months later...

I wasn't planning on a six and a half-month break from they, but hey, stuff happens. Anyway, here's a new team!

Mission Santa Ines

Established: 1945

Joined CALPROSOL: 1955

Championships: (4) 1991, 2001, 2010, 2016

Home Grounds: Mission Park

Kit manufacturer: New Balance

Kit Sponsor: Athlead

Welcome to Solvang, the quaint little Danish town in the Santa Ynez Valley. So why did the Danes name their club after the old Spanish mission? Brand recognition. The original owner eventually wanted into the premier California Soccer League and knew that Mission teams had high reputations, besides, they could build their stadium right next to the original Mission Santa Ines. However, the Danes lean more on their Scandinavian traditions than their Spanish namesake's. The club's crest features a lamb carrying the flag of Denmark (Santa Ines -> Saint Agnes of Rome -> Agnes is derived from the Latin word for lamb, agnus). They typically wear claret shirts with sky blue sleeves and white shorts at home, and New Balance produced a classy kit for 2015-16 (a championship year for Mission Santa Ines). The third kits are worn exclusively for home games between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, and reflect the Danish tradition of Julefrokost, a "Christmas Lunch" that turns into a day-long, booze-filled party, which of course is celebrated at the games. Seriously, they are fun! This year's third kits feature "Julehjerte", Pleated Christmas hearts, a traditional Danish tree ornament.

iQbNJVM.png

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, luvxantana said:

Where can I find a link to kit template

Here is a link to the template: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k47udud5vb7qqid/Soccer_Template.psd/file

8 hours ago, -kj said:

Thank you, random new user, for bumping this thread.  I hadn't seen it before, and there's some great stuff.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm still not technically finished, maybe I'll get back to it someday soon.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I have been seeing this template used in many series like this. I have ideas for a series of my own and I am wondering how to put patterns and designs on the template. I have some skill in Illustrator, I just don't know the best way to actually create the designs I am thinking of. Any tips?

Archived