infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 16

infrared41

This season got off to a bit of a slow start, but it is finishing strong. Week 16 was another week of solid uniform match ups - and another week of really tough choices for the best list. As @the admiral predicted, one of this week's games is a contender for game of the year, there were a couple train wrecks, and for the first time, a game that made the best list based solely on the strength of a jersey. Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

Best:

1. Colts - Raiders: The one thing that drives me nuts with these lists is being unable to find a picture that does justice to the game. This is one of those games. Anyway... A few weeks back, the admiral said to keep an eye on this one as a contender for game of the year. I'm thinking he was right. Two classic looks and an easy choice for the top spot this week. Every game should look this good. I wish I could have found a picture that does this game justice.

eBOCuJw.jpgceZjSkL.jpg

2. 49ers - Rams: I'm not as big a fan of the Rams throwbacks as most people are, but put the throwbacks in the sunshine matched up with the 49ers and I like them a whole lot more than I usually do. The drab dome lighting in St. Louis really sucked the life out of this great uniform. Maybe the poor lighting was my only issue with them. In any case, this was a great looking game. Put this one on the "any other week" list. 

Pn9e56K.jpg

3. Vikings - Packers: Great looking match up of modern and traditional. Loved how the colors popped in this one - which is no mean feat in Green Bay in December. The Vikings should be on page one of any "this is how you modernize/update your uniform" manual. 

F3MIApY.jpg

4. Indigenous Peoples - Bears: At the start of this season, I didn't much care for Washington's white over burgundy combo. Fast forward to week 16 and here I am liking it quite a bit. It really works against the right teams and the Bears are one of those teams. Great looking game that would easily take the top spot in a week with less competition. 

dpt1C4f.jpg

5. Steelers jersey: Can't say I cared for the monochrome black uniform, but the jersey was all sorts of awesome. I'd be the last person to suggest the Steelers change their current look, but if they wanted to wear this jersey full time, I wouldn't complain. Come up with some gold pants to match the jersey and dare I say it, the Steelers might look better than they already do. 

5bfFVlN.jpg

6. Lions - Cowboys: Time for the Lions to make their weekly appearance. Good looking game.

FHdpJtX.jpg

Worst:

1. Cardinals - Seahawks: Going back to the "this is how you modernize/update your uniform" manual, these two teams should be pages one and two in the "this is what you don't want to do" chapter. Seattle has some good looking combos and this one isn't any of them. The Cardinals need to read page one of the "this is how you modernize/update your uniform" manual and go from there.

c2Vk7he.jpg

2. Buccaneers - Saints: The Bucs look bad because they don't have a choice. The Saints chose to look this awful. 

b6gXXQN.jpg

That's it for this week. I hope you all are having a great holiday season. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

I thought the Ravens-Steelers matchup might sneak on to the list in its entirety since the Ravens were in their all white uniform.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I thought the Ravens-Steelers matchup might sneak on to the list in its entirety since the Ravens were in their all white uniform.

I gave it some thought, but I couldn't get past the Steelers black monochrome. The only monochrome look I like is all white.

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

I gave it some thought, but I couldn't get past the Steelers black monochrome. The only monochrome look I like is all white.

I assumed that was the answer.  I generally feel the same way, but the Steelers black wasn't terrible, for some reason.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

5 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I assumed that was the answer.  I generally feel the same way, but the Steelers black wasn't terrible, for some reason.

No, it wasn't terrible. As monochrome looks go, that Steelers set is one of the better ones. For what it is, I thought it looked good, but I didn't think it looked best list level good.

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

No, it wasn't terrible. As monochrome looks go, that Steelers set is one of the better ones. For what it is, I thought it looked good, but I didn't think it looked best list level good.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I was just happy to see the Ravens in all white late in the season . . . even if the result of the game wasn't to my liking.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  I was just happy to see the Ravens in all white late in the season . . . even if the result of the game wasn't to my liking.

The Ravens primary looks are really nice. They should stick to the basic purple over white and all white and throw the rest in the trash. The occasional black alternate jersey over white would be OK too.

BB52Big.jpg

Infrared41, good insight on many of these unis.   I do like the Rams old/throwback Blues.  I agree that when the 49ers & Rams play, their unis match up well.

Good call on the Colts/Raiders combo - reminds me of the days of Baltimore @ Oakland in the 1970s.

Cowboys/Lions was my #3 choice on the list.   Good stuff my friend!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Sorry, but I don't know what that is supposed to mean. 

"Cra", "cray", or "crae" is slang for "crazy", meaning good.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

The Steelers need to go back to block jersey numbers immediately. This is the most intimidating sports uniform of all time

While I like the block-numbered uniforms, the stylized font they currently use is now consistent with the helmet numbers (which have been stylized since at least the 60s). What slightly irks me with the Steelers is that the jersey numbers are italicized. Normalize them and I'd be 100% satisfied.

NSFCvyu.png

This was one of those weeks where I just can't pick a winner. I lean one way then find myself getting swayed by another soon after. I'll just have to slap a "Tie-1st" on IND/OAK, SF/LA, MIN/GB, and WSH/CHI.

Side note, though: I'm SO glad to see burgundy pants again for Washington. I'm pretty tired of the gold pants, and think white pants at home and burgundy on the road are far better combos. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

12 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Sorry, but I don't know what that is supposed to mean. 

8 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

"Cra", "cray", or "crae" is slang for "crazy", meaning good.

My 12 year old daughter could have told you this. :lol:

19 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I know "cra cra" means crazy. I wasn't sure if he meant it in a good way or if he was telling me my lists are crazy. 

Good point.  The last time my daughter used "cra cra" in any connection to me, she was describing my hair in a picture from the late 70s.

Archived