Tri-City Dust Devils Overhaul (Updated 1/7)

Bruins

So, I was browsing through the minor league baseball logo files and I came across a few that are in desperate need of a refreshing or... much more than that. One of the worst logos in my opinion was the Tri-City Dust Devils of the Northwest League whose main emblem is rudimentary at best. I also felt their design as a whole was dated, so i really wanted to take them on. I don't know if I'll work on a few more teams for this alongside my Updates & Overhauls thread, I'll just have to play it by ear, But I will be posting uniforms for the Devils. So, here is my take on the Tri-City Dust Devils:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

C&C is appreciated, Thx!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I'd make "Tri-City" all caps, and move the floating horns closer to the head.  The pitch fork seems added on and doesn't really have any ties to the dust devil itself (design-wise).

Pretty good though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'd make "Tri-City" all caps, and move the floating horns closer to the head.  The pitch fork seems added on and doesn't really have any ties to the dust devil itself (design-wise).

Pretty good though. 

Two good points, I had trouble figuring out how to make the horns, might make them smaller. I want to include some form of pitchfork as the baseball bat, but it could use some work.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Point1 said:

Maybe render the pitchfork as a baseball bat and then add the trident to the top of it? Right now it's way too thin.

Thats a pretty good idea, actually a really good idea. Ill try it

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Well they are the Padres affiliate. Might want to add some gold to the brown if you're going that route.

I wasn't trying to associate with the Padres if thats what you mean. I wanted to use a unique solely brown scheme because of the name Dust Devils, plus Tri-City sounds like a vintage sports team name, hence an old looking color scheme. You did inspire me to do a classic padres inspired one-off though!

Thanks so much for the constructive criticism guys!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I agree the current logo set is outdated and see where you are going with your concept, but there are two issues:

1) I feel that your concept over emphasizes the "devil" and under emphasizes the "tornado" aspect of the identity.

If you took away the text from your logo and showed it to the average person, they would probably not know it was a dust devil and would probably think it was a drawing of a spinning tazmanian devil cartoon. I think this is a good opportunity to do the opposite of emphasizing the "devil" and dropping all of the devil imagery. You could do a kick ass "tornado" style logo without the eyes/horns/arms/tail. Something that would align nicely with their newer alternate logo. You could even have some baseball and/or bats floating around in the "tornado" style dust devil (for that Minor League style), or incorporate a hidden TC or DD in the motion of the rings of the tornado. Maybe put a small cloud puff of dust at the bottom rather than a tail.

630x420_TCDustDevilsAltLogo.jpg

2) The "tornado" part of your concept is poorly rendered.

The ellipse shapes you stacked on each other do not really give a good "tornado" image. Take a look at Iowa State's logo and how they show motion in their cyclone shape. This is definitely an area you can improve on even if you keep the "devil" theme.

9487_iowa_state_cyclones-alternate-1995.

1. Why 3 shades of brown? I see remnants of a really dark shade in the top version in the mascot's eyes and shadowing, and I think in the pitchfork. There doesn't seem to be a reason that the extra dark shade is necessary; you could make the pitchfork the same color as the outline and it would be just as legible. The darkest shade doesn't appear to be adding any depth either.

2. The text just looks like you picked a random font, and added an outline. It doesn't match the C in the second logo. Not that there's anything inherently bad about using a font as/is, but if you want to show some creativity, don't be afraid to customize it a bit more.

3. The second logo doesn't read as a T, so emphasizing the C doesn't make any sense. It's Tri-City, not City.

4. Why a single "D" as the cap logo? The nickname is two words. That would be like the Red Sox having just an R on the caps. It also looks a bit more orange than the other logos, but maybe that's just an illusion.

5. The cap logo is also a bit blurry.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I took you guys' suggestions, and I'm happy with the result.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I tried to make the main logo a little more tornado like in shape and eliminated the shine. I also downsized the horns and eliminated the pitchfork altogether. The font also was changed

The cap logo is an intertwined T & C, which also form a lowercase D. The D stands for just Devils or Devs which is the intended slang nickname, although there is no more sole focus on a single D for the cap emblem.

Thank you so much everyone for the helpful C&C, what do you think of the update?

Lz5f6vZ.png

The placement of the eyes and horns doesn't make sense to me. Both are just floating above the tornado. Where is the head part of your mascot? Most devil imagery doesn't have the horns emerging from a location on the sides of the eyes. I suggest moving the eyes, arms, and bat 1/3 of the way down the body. Also changing the curve of the arm to match the curve of the tornado body. And rethink the placement, color and size of the horns. Maybe make the tail have the same circular motion of the rest of the tornado. It is better than the original version. I think the stroke is too thick on the word mark, and the C in the cap logo doesn't really look like a C. It also reads CT and is way too tall and thin for a cap logo (mock it up on a cap and you'll see what I mean).

Archived