College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I'm a Gopher alum who is Ski-U-Mah all the way, but that doesn't keep it from ruining an otherwise great helmet. The whole "Row the Boat" thing will hopefully lose its momentum with a 5-7 season (which is where this season looks like it's heading).

A 1-11 season didn't kill it in Fleck's first year at WMU.

I like Fleck.  I think he'll be successful wherever he coaches and at this point, I'd rather have him in Gainesville than McElwain, but "Row the Boat" is more his personal identity than the schools and it shouldn't be anywhere near the uniforms.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Personally, I'm still a huge fan of this;

usatsi_8797127.jpg?w=1000&h=698

Unpopular opinion, I really don't like those uniforms, the helmet is really dated and the plain green numbers with the rainbow everything else looks bad. The 2005 (?) - 2008 (?) unis were perfect. I would be ok if they went back to being rainbow warriors, but not with those uniforms.

I think improvements would be taking away the shoulder stripes and just using numbers, putting the regular Hawaii logo on the helmet, and maybe using a rainbow helmet stripe. I have a feeling that would look a bit less ridiculous, at the very least it wouldn't use that awful logo.

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I disagree.  As long as the stripes don't visibly cut off before the sleeve even starts to curve away, it has the desired effect.  I just don't think you should see the end point... they need to give the impression of continuing under, even if they technically don't.

I'm not sure how many classic jerseys actually had full "wrap-unders" anyway.

While it's true that not everyone has done it that way, full shoulder loops have been done before:

398XufW.jpg

Hx5ZTzV.jpg

x9WwnH0.jpg

KWTyrzz.jpg

BoTDnEu.jpg

Now, admittedly, those Panthers and Georgia Tech uniforms use a more modern take on the idea, but the point still stands. To me, it just looks better when shoulder loops actually loop.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 hours ago, MGoBlue98 said:

New lids for Purdue 

Note the double-outlined P is an updated helmet logo for them as well - they wore the regular gold helmets with the updated logo (matte decals, too) against Louisville.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, See Red said:

A 1-11 season didn't kill it in Fleck's first year at WMU.

I like Fleck.  I think he'll be successful wherever he coaches and at this point, I'd rather have him in Gainesville than McElwain, but "Row the Boat" is more his personal identity than the schools and it shouldn't be anywhere near the uniforms.

It's just this side of putting his name on the helmet and uniforms.

New helmets for Kent State. Strange because I remember something about them straying from gold in their new uniform set. Anyways, not much to see here. Oversize helmet logo, 3d bumpers, some sort of memorial patch on back. At least they went logo on both sides though instead of going Full Boise.

Also, must every Jeff Brohm team have chrome helmets?

Purdue Chrome Helemt.PNG

48 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

New helmets for Kent State. Strange because I remember something about them straying from gold in their new uniform set. Anyways, not much to see here. Oversize helmet logo, 3d bumpers, some sort of memorial patch on back. At least they went logo on both sides though instead of going Full Boise.

I like those helmets, but I think the left side will look terrible, as the K doesn't really work on the left side, and it ends up looking like one big blob.

636097318558562115-Zach-Talley-Kent-Stat

I want to point out that the Purdue helmets are a cool move for a special occasion. Ross Ade Stadium had permanent lights installed this offseason so Friday night's game will be the first home night game with permanent lighting for Purdue. 

The lights are a big deal for the football team so I really like the idea of embracing that with a helmet that will look fantastic under them. Hopefully they don't over wear the new lids.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I like those helmets, but I think the left side will look terrible, as the K doesn't really work on the left side, and it ends up looking like one big blob.

636097318558562115-Zach-Talley-Kent-Stat

I don't think that decal was cut correctly. It might also be when you know what something is supposed to look like, you subconsciously ignore the incorrect image

2 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

That decal is for a player that died during the offseason workouts and the strength coach was fired because he allegedly said he was certified, but his certification was false or had lapsed. 

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

I don't think that decal was cut correctly. It might also be when you know what something is supposed to look like, you subconsciously ignore the incorrect image

I think it was cut okay...just the chin straps are in the way, and the earhole cuts out part of it.  I like the intent (big logos are okay in my book, especially with bigger helmets), but the execution just doesn't work.

Archived