buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

Recommended Posts

Mingjai    117
On 9/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, mcrosby said:

At least SKI-U-MAH is a unique university motto that has and will outlast a coach. I absolutely loved the use of SKI-U-MAH but detest the ROW THE BOAT. As always, I hope Minnesota's boat sinks under the crushing blows of Wisconsin's axe, but this time I hope it takes their new motto with. 

 

I'm a Gopher alum who is Ski-U-Mah all the way, but that doesn't keep it from ruining an otherwise great helmet. The whole "Row the Boat" thing will hopefully lose its momentum with a 5-7 season (which is where this season looks like it's heading).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gosioux76    132
14 hours ago, mcrosby said:

 

I think it transcends slogan when it's 130+ years old and takes on symbol status. 

Call it whatever you like, it still doesn't belong on a helmet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
See Red    752
52 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

 

I'm a Gopher alum who is Ski-U-Mah all the way, but that doesn't keep it from ruining an otherwise great helmet. The whole "Row the Boat" thing will hopefully lose its momentum with a 5-7 season (which is where this season looks like it's heading).

 

A 1-11 season didn't kill it in Fleck's first year at WMU.

 

I like Fleck.  I think he'll be successful wherever he coaches and at this point, I'd rather have him in Gainesville than McElwain, but "Row the Boat" is more his personal identity than the schools and it shouldn't be anywhere near the uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Personally, I'm still a huge fan of this;

 

usatsi_8797127.jpg?w=1000&h=698

Unpopular opinion, I really don't like those uniforms, the helmet is really dated and the plain green numbers with the rainbow everything else looks bad. The 2005 (?) - 2008 (?) unis were perfect. I would be ok if they went back to being rainbow warriors, but not with those uniforms.

 

I think improvements would be taking away the shoulder stripes and just using numbers, putting the regular Hawaii logo on the helmet, and maybe using a rainbow helmet stripe. I have a feeling that would look a bit less ridiculous, at the very least it wouldn't use that awful logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights Out    2,137
19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I disagree.  As long as the stripes don't visibly cut off before the sleeve even starts to curve away, it has the desired effect.  I just don't think you should see the end point... they need to give the impression of continuing under, even if they technically don't.

 

I'm not sure how many classic jerseys actually had full "wrap-unders" anyway.

While it's true that not everyone has done it that way, full shoulder loops have been done before:

 

398XufW.jpg

 

Hx5ZTzV.jpg

 

x9WwnH0.jpg

 

KWTyrzz.jpg

 

BoTDnEu.jpg

 

Now, admittedly, those Panthers and Georgia Tech uniforms use a more modern take on the idea, but the point still stands. To me, it just looks better when shoulder loops actually loop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nuordr    475

Air Force F-35 Helmets: 

 

1 Air Force F-35 Helmet.PNG

2 Air Force F-35 Helmet.PNG

3 Air Force F-35 Helmet.PNG

 

Closeup shot of the Purdue Chrome Helmet: 

Purdue Chrome Helemt.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,620

It's a sad state of affairs when Michigan can wear banana suits and nobody bats an eye anymore. 15 years ago that would've been deemed sacrilegious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,412
11 hours ago, MGoBlue98 said:

New lids for Purdue 

 

 

Note the double-outlined P is an updated helmet logo for them as well - they wore the regular gold helmets with the updated logo (matte decals, too) against Louisville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RichO    215
11 hours ago, See Red said:

 

A 1-11 season didn't kill it in Fleck's first year at WMU.

 

I like Fleck.  I think he'll be successful wherever he coaches and at this point, I'd rather have him in Gainesville than McElwain, but "Row the Boat" is more his personal identity than the schools and it shouldn't be anywhere near the uniforms.

 

It's just this side of putting his name on the helmet and uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New helmets for Kent State. Strange because I remember something about them straying from gold in their new uniform set. Anyways, not much to see here. Oversize helmet logo, 3d bumpers, some sort of memorial patch on back. At least they went logo on both sides though instead of going Full Boise.

 

Also, must every Jeff Brohm team have chrome helmets?

Purdue Chrome Helemt.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,412
48 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

New helmets for Kent State. Strange because I remember something about them straying from gold in their new uniform set. Anyways, not much to see here. Oversize helmet logo, 3d bumpers, some sort of memorial patch on back. At least they went logo on both sides though instead of going Full Boise.

 

 

I like those helmets, but I think the left side will look terrible, as the K doesn't really work on the left side, and it ends up looking like one big blob.

 

636097318558562115-Zach-Talley-Kent-Stat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JTernup    115

I want to point out that the Purdue helmets are a cool move for a special occasion. Ross Ade Stadium had permanent lights installed this offseason so Friday night's game will be the first home night game with permanent lighting for Purdue. 

 

The lights are a big deal for the football team so I really like the idea of embracing that with a helmet that will look fantastic under them. Hopefully they don't over wear the new lids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walkerws    170
1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 

I like those helmets, but I think the left side will look terrible, as the K doesn't really work on the left side, and it ends up looking like one big blob.

 

636097318558562115-Zach-Talley-Kent-Stat

I don't think that decal was cut correctly. It might also be when you know what something is supposed to look like, you subconsciously ignore the incorrect image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walkerws    170
2 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

New helmets for Kent State. Strange because I remember something about them straying from gold in their new uniform set. Anyways, not much to see here. Oversize helmet logo, 3d bumpers, some sort of memorial patch on back. At least they went logo on both sides though instead of going Full Boise.

 

 

That decal is for a player that died during the offseason workouts and the strength coach was fired because he allegedly said he was certified, but his certification was false or had lapsed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,412
1 hour ago, walkerws said:

I don't think that decal was cut correctly. It might also be when you know what something is supposed to look like, you subconsciously ignore the incorrect image

 

I think it was cut okay...just the chin straps are in the way, and the earhole cuts out part of it.  I like the intent (big logos are okay in my book, especially with bigger helmets), but the execution just doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nuordr    475

Week 2 Uniform: 

 

 

IMG_9538.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BenjiJ    36

I really hope BYU wears their royal blues that they wore last week. That would be a good looking match up (until you see Utahs pants)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bolt957    104

I still love that finish on Utah's red helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now