College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

21 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

WSU going all-crimson on Saturday against Boise State:

IMG_7125.thumb.JPG.57c0fdd2f68303540790b3b7bd658f85.JPG

This combo illustrates one of the major problems with their new set, the fact that all of the crimson (and white, actually) uniform elements don't have even the slightest hint of gray on them. Their school colors are crimson and gray, yet combos such as this one make it seem like they're a crimson and white school. Their last set had a much better distribution of colors between all of the different uniform elements.

A gray facemask would do wonders for that look...and maybe a gray number.  Some kind of gray is needed.  Of course I also think it'd be super awesome if they wore a silver helmet with crimson facemask, with crimson jersey and pants, as it'd be a homage to the 90s somewhat-regular-alternate unis.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Oregon putting Win The Day on their uniforms is almost as bad as the stupid Row The Boat thing in Minnesota.

In more normal circumstances I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but in this case, this response seems appropriate:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

In more normal circumstances I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but in this case, this response seems appropriate:

Don't get me wrong, Oregon using the Duck vs Cancer logo is cool. While it is a disaster from a design standpoint, I think that its great they are going this. But is Win The Day not the slogan that the Ducks typically use? And wasn't it on the pants as well? 

Its awesome that UO is doing this, it really is. But it still doesn't look good. Same thing as RTB. Despite it representing something bigger than football, slapping a slogan on the uni looks BAD. What next, are schools gonna start wearing their slogans across their chests?? 

2 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Don't get me wrong, Oregon using the Duck vs Cancer logo is cool. While it is a disaster from a design standpoint, I think that its great they are going this. But is Win The Day not the slogan that the Ducks typically use? And wasn't it on the pants as well? 

Its awesome that UO is doing this, it really is. But it still doesn't look good. Same thing as RTB. Despite it representing something bigger than football, slapping a slogan on the uni looks BAD. What next, are schools gonna start wearing their slogans across their chests?? 

Is it on the uniform or just the cleats? To me, there's a significant difference.. And even if were plastered all over the uniform, it's a very specific one-off.. Fleck's RTB nonsense is ridiculous on a uniform.. WTD on the heel tab of the cleats is fine.. Even front/rear bumpers would be ok.. Just not helmet stripes or anywhere on the jersey or pants

2 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Is it on the uniform or just the cleats? To me, there's a significant difference.. And even if were plastered all over the uniform, it's a very specific one-off.. Fleck's RTB nonsense is ridiculous on a uniform.. WTD on the heel tab of the cleats is fine.. Even front/rear bumpers would be ok.. Just not helmet stripes or anywhere on the jersey or pants

Its also, in very large font, on the side of the pants. One part says Win The Day and directly below it says Win The Fight, both is neon yellow. It stands out on the white pants.

16 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

They've basically completely done away with the Win The Day slogan since Coach Taggart took over, which is why some people found it odd that it's on the special Doernbecher uniforms. And yes, the slogan appears on the pants, in addition to the cleats and gloves.

I guess my opinion here is that, when you consider the cause that this specific one-off uniform is in support of, I have no problem with them including the slogan on the uniform, especially since it was supposedly by request of the three cancer survivors who played a part in the design process. In other circumstances, I generally agree with you that slogans don't belong on uniforms, especially when they're in such prominent locations on the helmet, jersey, or pants. But in this one instance the slogan seems appropriate, at least IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

They've basically completely done away with the Win The Day slogan since Coach Taggart took over, which is why some people found it odd that it's on the special Doernbecher uniforms. And yes, the slogan appears on the pants, in addition to the cleats and gloves.

I guess my opinion here is that, when you consider the cause that this specific one-off uniform is in support of, I have no problem with them including the slogan on the uniform, especially since it was supposedly by request of the three cancer survivors who played a part in the design process. In other circumstances, I generally agree with you that slogans don't belong on uniforms, especially when they're in such prominent locations on the helmet, jersey, or pants. But in this one instance the slogan seems appropriate, at least IMO.

We're talking about cancer survivors here, who likely had to take things one day at a time while in treatment. Win the day and eventually you'll win the fight.

It seems awkward now using that phrase since it was Chip Kelly's go to slogan years ago and Oregon has since phased it out, but like you mentioned, in this circumstance, it all ties the uniform together. 

44 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

IMG_5352.PNG.ed4e8fcd004da60503654b4ef1704339.PNG

Looks great. A nice subtle tribute to a giant part of the Sun Devil legacy.

Saw these today...look great in person. Great lids and tribute to era.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Different helmet pairing than last year's look.

maxresdefault.jpg

A few people have made comments about VT silently releasing a boatload of terrible alternates that nobody remembers. Here's the proof. That shot looks like Tennessee is playing Army.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

13 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Gotta say, Wazzu's uniforms are very disappointing. If they wanted a classic look, they already had several good options to throw back to:

<<awesome WSU unis.jpeg>>

What they're wearing now looks like practice gear.

This x1000.  Even the unis worn prior to Birnbaum (#13) are pretty good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

WSU going all-crimson on Saturday against Boise State:

IMG_7125.thumb.JPG.57c0fdd2f68303540790b3b7bd658f85.JPG

This combo illustrates one of the major problems with their new set, the fact that all of the crimson (and white, actually) uniform elements don't have even the slightest hint of gray on them. Their school colors are crimson and gray, yet combos such as this one make it seem like they're a crimson and white school. Their last set had a much better distribution of colors between all of the different uniform elements.

I'm normally of the opinion that all elements should tie in all the colors, but i like the colorblocking with these uniforms. I love the NY Giants uniforms besides there only being 1 color on each of their jerseys, so these have a somewhat similar vibe. Sometimes it'll be all three colors, sometimes just crimson, but the simplicity of the uniform is louder than following the bad trends imo. 

Archived