buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, vicfurth said:

 

Uuuuuuuum you do know that's two schools with orange as a main color right? 

 

I mean, we could spend time talking about how awful Arizona looked. Or Iowa State. But they're modern and trendy so automatically better than the old stuff. 

 

I feel enlightened. 

I know, and it was a bad looking matchup because there was too much orange and white. What's your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Can we stop with the "I nominate [random traditional matchup] as uni matchup of the week, so clean!"? 

 

Nope.

 

Some of us gray haireds like the classic looks, mainly because college football was invented way before 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pianoknight said:

 

They've been Mizzou for decades. It's not a recent innovation. My extended family is a from Missouri and I got used to watching Nebraska play them annually in the Big 8 and then Big XII. 

 

They're all about the Zou. 

 

There was a time (mid-90s I think) when the school really tried to emphasize Missouri over Mizzou.  Mizzou was too slang. I think it affected the MBB team more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 2:23 AM, pianoknight said:

 

A few people have made comments about VT silently releasing a boatload of terrible alternates that nobody remembers. Here's the proof. That shot looks like Tennessee is playing Army.  

 

Oh I remember! It's really too bad because Virginia Tech should have one of the most solid football looks on the planet week in week out. 

 

image.png.df6f94be64c504353b214fc124763503.pngimage.png.d0adabdf5504d26078c5ee5658d27f03.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-09-10 at 8:42 PM, WSU151 said:

 

Nope.

 

Some of us gray haireds like the classic looks, mainly because college football was invented way before 2005.

You can't just give every classic match-up an automatic thumbs up, you have to do it case by case. There's an awful trend on this board where any classic matchup is automatically praised, and every modern match-up is automatically bad. That's not using your brain at all, that's deciding whether or not you like something before you have even attempted to analyze it, and that's really toxic to a community that wants to discuss uniforms. It's very frustrating trying to have debate/conversation as to why I or someone else thinks a uniform is good/bad, and I get met with non responses and statements like "no it's a traditional uniform, it's good, shut up". It would be really nice if I could say "I don't like this matchup and here's why", and get "i disagree and here's why."

Edited by Ice_Cap
removed inappropriate language

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

You can't just give every classic match-up an automatic thumbs up, you have to do it case by case. There's an awful trend on this board where any classic matchup is automatically praised, and every modern match-up is automatically bad. That's not using your brain at all, that's deciding whether or not you like something before you have even attempted to analyze it, and that's really toxic to a community that wants to discuss uniforms. It's very frustrating trying to have debate/conversation as to why I or someone else thinks a uniform is good/bad, and I get met with non responses and statements like "no it's a traditional uniform, it's good, shut up". It would be really nice if I could say "I don't like this matchup and here's why", and get "i disagree and here's why", rather than "no, I'm a grey haired 29 year old who likes what i likes, don't break the circlejerk, raaaaaa".

 

No one has ever said that here.  Ever.

 

Seems to me, this is an obvious case of you hearing what you want to hear.  Just to be clear, you're saying that without fail, your well thought out, intelligent defenses of your opinions are universally met with neanderthal grunts of "old is good, new is bad."

 

Oh, OK. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Clemson vs auburn looked like a scrimmage

Well now we're just trying to say the wackiest thing possible. Arizona has great uniforms! There, I did it. I said the silliest thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have an unpopular opinion though:

 

i think the oregon green/yellows badly needed some white to break up the coloring. It wasn't my favorite, even in traditional colors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vicfurth said:

I do have an unpopular opinion though:

 

i think the oregon green/yellows badly needed some white to break up the coloring. It wasn't my favorite, even in traditional colors. 

 

See I think the reason that Oregon's Y/G/Y is such a great look because yellow is bright enough to (almost) serve as a substitute for white.The whole uniform looks very.... saturated.

brockhampton.thumb.jpg.046cc4410859592a16b62bd819d75782.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 11:19 PM, upperV03 said:

I'd have to give my nod for matchup of the week to Penn State/Pitt. Pitt's new road versions of their throwbacks looked tremendous against the Nittany Lions' classic home uniforms. Just an absolutely beautiful matchup all around.

IMG_7211.thumb.JPG.05d8bd8a73d422d95a21d8f9ec18f737.JPGIMG_7212.thumb.JPG.7fa0c8c7d23ee17064e702eb091d489d.JPGIMG_7214.thumb.JPG.a1dfff3d6504531046b215d65723fbe9.JPG

IMG_7208.thumb.JPG.e5acebd5f988174b2b378c2c722b1ebc.JPGIMG_7210.thumb.JPG.be3c572cdb50eff33fa2734f9ae8d04a.JPG

I wonder if Pitt is going to wear the throwback colors for bigger games and leave the navy and beige for the Youngstown State and Duke level games until they fully switch over next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

 

See I think the reason that Oregon's Y/G/Y is such a great look because yellow is bright enough to (almost) serve as a substitute for white.The whole uniform looks very.... saturated.

brockhampton.thumb.jpg.046cc4410859592a16b62bd819d75782.jpg

I see what you did there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

No one has ever said that here.  Ever.

 

Seems to me, this is an obvious case of you hearing what you want to hear.  Just to be clear, you're saying that without fail, your well thought out, intelligent defenses of your opinions are universally met with neanderthal grunts of "old is good, new is bad."

 

Oh, OK. :rolleyes:

I mean, quite literally:

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Nope.

 

Some of us gray haireds like the classic looks, mainly because college football was invented way before 2005.

If that isn't a "I likes what i likes don't discuss it", then I don't know what is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I mean, quite literally:

If that isn't a "I likes what i likes don't discuss it", then I don't know what is.

 

Telling us to not discuss college football's traditional aesthetics seems like a fool's errand on this board.  Maybe you should rethink your strategy.  Some of us favor nostalgic (or mostly unchanged) looks over chrome helmets with team names running up the side of anthracite pants, and that will probably never change. 

 

Clemson vs. Auburn will always look good to me. But since you're an expert on uniform matchups, what should Clemson have worn?  What should Auburn have worn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Well now we're just trying to say the wackiest thing possible. Arizona has great uniforms! There, I did it. I said the silliest thing. 

Two teams with essentially the same colors, wearing the same color pants, but opposite colored jersey is what every spring game in the country looks like.. Obviously, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but it was closer to a scrimmage look than a "best looking matchup of the week" look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Nope.

 

Some of us gray haireds like the classic looks, mainly because college football was invented way before 2005.

 

1 hour ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

 

If that isn't a "I likes what i likes don't discuss it", then I don't know what is.

 

To be honest, I didn't even reference back to the post you were responding to, because your comment did NOT say "this guy won't debate, he just likes what he likes".  What you said was this;

 

15 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

 There's an awful trend on this board where any classic matchup is automatically praised, and every modern match-up is automatically bad. It's very frustrating trying to have debate/conversation as to why I or someone else thinks a uniform is good/bad, and I get met with non responses and statements like "no it's a traditional uniform, it's good, shut up". It would be really nice if I could say "I don't like this matchup and here's why", and get "i disagree and here's why", rather than "no, I'm a grey haired 29 year old who likes what i likes, don't break the circlejerk, raaaaaa".

 

First, you made it universal to everyone who prefers tradition uniforms, (you didn't say "response and/or statement", you said "responses and statements") and then moaned about how frustrating it is to the lone debater among the troglodyte masses.  That's what I was responding to.  It would be pompous and condescending if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ltp74 said:

I wonder if Pitt is going to wear the throwback colors for bigger games and leave the navy and beige for the Youngstown State and Duke level games until they fully switch over next year.

Those Pitt uniforms were 10 times better than the Penn State uniforms that the Lions wore, and better than their current set. Glad they wore it for a big game AND are switching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Telling us to not discuss college football's traditional aesthetics seems like a fool's errand on this board.  Maybe you should rethink your strategy.  Some of us favor nostalgic (or mostly unchanged) looks over chrome helmets with team names running up the side of anthracite pants, and that will probably never change. 

 

Clemson vs. Auburn will always look good to me. But since you're an expert on uniform matchups, what should Clemson have worn?  What should Auburn have worn?

That is not even remotely what I'm saying, what? I personally prefer traditional looks myself, but not every traditional look is good, and not every modern look is bad. There is a literal dichotomy where all modern aesthetics are bad, and all traditional aesthetics are good. You can't seriously say, as a form of any kind of art (and yes, like it or not, football uniform design is a form of art), that it's that simple. At that point you're basically that one 15 year old on reddit who says all modern music is trash and that queen and the who are the greatest bands ever. I mean seriously

 

Quote

Some of us favor nostalgic (or mostly unchanged) looks over chrome helmets with team names running up the side of anthracite pants

That is your entire idea of what modern style uniforms are. Never mind that Boise just rocked an amazing storm trooper look last weekend (which if you disagree with that, I'll be happy to discuss why), all modern uniforms are anthracite chrome swag nike garbage. That is the problem right there. When a board has decided to dichotomize it's opinions, that is how destructive circlejerks start, which we basically have, and have had for a while.

 

Quote

But since you're an expert on uniform matchups, what should Clemson have worn?  What should Auburn have worn?

There we go, that's something. Honestly clemson has one of my favorite uniforms, if not my all time favorite uniforms in college football. That said, their pants need a purple outline stripe. It just looks really weird when their helmet has purple outlines, and their jerseys have purple outlines, but their pants have none. Also I think this game going Orange, Purple, Orange would've been better, just so they contrast with Auburn's aways better. Which, speaking of, holy hell where do I begin. Triple stripe big logon on the helmet, Triple shoulder stripe AND tv numbers, giant mismatching pants stripe, just jesus christ there is WAY too much going on. Their homes work because the dark blue soaks up a lot of that action, but their aways are a mess. I think just have the AU logo on the hip and get rid of the pants stripe, would enormously improve their whole set. It doesn't math their other stripes anyway, and is just an eyesore overall, not needed. Though really, their colors are just too similar for it to be a great matchup, not much to save honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now