College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

11 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but the Wyoming - Oregon matchup looks really nice.

Considering eight people have liked the comment I made yesterday about how Oregon's combo would make for a really nice matchup with Wyoming's home uniforms, I don't think it's really that much of an unpopular opinion at all. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, I'm confused.  Was there more than one team called Memphis playing today? Because the Memphis I saw was dressed like this;

usp_ncaa_football__ucla_at_memphis_93825

On what planet do those whipped cream swirls make anyone think of Tigers?

My wife walked by while this game was on, did a double take at the screen, and here's the exchange that followed.

WIFE:  "What are those weird streaks supposed to be on those helmets?" (Side note - my wife is from Cincinnati)

ME: "Tiger Stripes"

WIFE: "Blue and white tiger stripes?  Are they idiots?"

ME: "Apparently"

MOD EDIT

IMO these were nice uniforms.

I think a big issue for me with Memphis' Bengals helmets is that it looks cheap to have such an obvious ripoff. It's straight out of the high school playbook of changing the colors of a college or pro logo and hoping that nobody important enough to send a cease and desist letter notices. 

I also think having such an abundance of tiger stripe with colors like blue, chrome, gray, or white just doesn't work. Memphis' endzones are made of black and blue tiger stripes and it just doesn't look right. It's not just the colors, it's the amount of striping. Mizzou for instance does a better job with tiger stripes because black and gold is a lot close to black and orange than Memphis' blue, chrome, black, gray, and white, and also because it's not the primary feature of the uniforms. 

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I think a big issue for me with Memphis' Bengals helmets is that it looks cheap to have such an obvious ripoff. It's straight out of the high school playbook of changing the colors of a college or pro logo and hoping that nobody important enough to send a cease and desist letter notices.

Normally I would agree with you, but when you pull the look off a lot better than the pro team you're copying, in my mind you get a pass.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Blue and white just doesn't read as tiger stripes. They look more like zebra stripes, clouds, or some kind of weird camo design in those colors than they do tiger stripes.

While it's not as busy as the Bengals' uniform, I wouldn't call it better by any stretch. 

jNTsTyQ.png

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Not bad.I think the logo on the helmet should be red though. 

I'm surprised they didn't do red outlined in white and then red, like the star.  I think it would look a lot better.  As it is, I think that's a pretty good uniform.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 9/16/2017 at 11:24 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I agree.  At least they're only using that material on the stripes and have stop using it on the numbers (see Louisville).  That sheen on the numbers destroys everything. 

Make the stripes twill and put the jersey's version of puddles on the pants also. Three of everything in white, green, and yellow, don't overdue the monochrome... done.

091617-UNCODU-CCS003.jpg

091617-UNCODU-CCS001.jpg

6_7633352.jpg

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I'm kinda wondering what Arkansas would have done replicating the silver green pants

1 hour ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

I don't know why they didn't make a Razorbacks version of the Cowboys' usual home uniforms, which are way more iconic.

[image]

Maybe they got scared by the idea of replicating Dallas' weird home pants. Probably not, but still. 

Archived