College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

4 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Those Texas A&M helmets are for the Mississippi State game at the end of the month. Go with the maroon and black uniforms reveled few weeks ago

I got my games mixed up. For some reason I thought we're once again busting out the alt for the South Carolina game

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question for everyone:

What is your background? graphic design? 

I have followed for a while now without creating an account. 

The overall consensus that i see on the board is that if its new it should be hated. 

How are you grading the uniforms? i honestly want to know. is it the symmetry? stripe patterns? eye test?

i have my own preferences on uniforms, but not sure if they line up with what a designer says is acceptable. 

4 hours ago, djam2410 said:

The source is Cal football history...The jerseys for the 1970s were essentially the same apart from the introduction of the yellow mask in 1976. I agree with you they should make things much clearer than they did for those that do not know Cal football history ; Here is a link from the 2007 reveal that talked about having a "mid-70s style" Joe Roth throwback vs using any given year as well as more background on Roth : https://scout.com/college/california/Article/The-story-behind-the-throwback-jerseys-104471597

Cal Bear fans refer to them as the "Joe Roth throwbacks" vs any given year and Uni Watch did add this in their paragraph as well with their reference of the "Joe Roth design". As sad as it is to say, the uniform tribute is directed more towards Roth than the actual Pac-8 team if I were being honest. There were no festivities for the actual team at the game with most references recapping Joe Roth's time with the team. If you want more information into why the 1976 season was so critical and important to the Joe Roth story, I encourage you read this. Maybe then, you may understand the reasoning for Cal having the mask gold  : http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/joe-roth-cal-golden-bears-dont-quit-dan-marino-tom-brady-peyton-manning-joe-montana-102815    

As a Cal fan who is familiar with and knows all of the history of the jerseys, the Joe Roth story, and etc, I would have written the PR as this:

"The Joe Roth throwbacks commemorate Joe Roth's 1975 Pac-8 championship with the Bears as well as emulating the final game Joe Roth played for the Golden Bears despite his cancer diagnosis during the 1976 season. Roth did not disclose his diagnosis to the team during the season and passed away in February of 2017. Joe Roth remains the only Golden Bear with his number retired"

The 2007 PR release from Nike also called these "1975" throwbacks while using the 1976 locker photo so it could be possible UA used this same photo to mold their press release 

I feel your frustration as it is tiring having to explain Cal football history and design choices over and over. 

2017-09-28 11_22_37-Cal Unveils 1975 ‘Joe Roth’ Throwback for USC Game.png

2017-09-28 11_31_23-Golden Bears Honor Memory of Joe Roth With Throwback Uniforms __ Helmets and Uni.png

Oh no, I understand the history. That’s why I’m trying to find a source that states, in writing, that the reason there’s a gold mask on a 1975 throwback is because it’s supposed to represent Joe’s final game or whatever.

No offense to you, but random fans don’t generally qualify as credible sources in situations like these. :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

21 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Oh no, I understand the history. That’s why I’m trying to find a source that states, in writing, that the reason there’s a gold mask on a 1975 throwback is because it’s supposed to represent Joe’s final game or whatever.

No offense to you, but random fans don’t generally qualify as credible sources in situations like these. :-)

This is the closest you will probably get to what you are asking. The uniform "memorial" goes over the 1975/1976 facts and the school account references 1975-1976. Once again, Cal fans refer to these as "Joe Roth" throwbacks vs any given year

2017-09-28 17_12_24-Cal Football (@CalFootball) _ Twitter.png

DKbS5zgUMAArNDi.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

37 minutes ago, joeether said:

The overall consensus that i see on the board is that if its new it should be hated. 

How are you grading the uniforms? i honestly want to know. is it the symmetry? stripe patterns? eye test?

i have my own preferences on uniforms, but not sure if they line up with what a designer says is acceptable. 

Mainly that is because most people here are "traditionalists", or they prefer more classic designs. There are pockets of people on here (like me) that prefer more modern designs. It's really just personal preference.

ExJworW.png

Confirmation of the black helmets for Oregon on Saturday, as well as the decal honoring Ahmad Rashad’s induction into the Vikings’ ring of honor:

Of note, the helmet features the yellow ‘O’ decals on the sides and the regularly colored duck logo on the nose bumper.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

41 minutes ago, joeether said:

Not all new uniforms are hated. What makes a uniform disliked can vary. It can be under-designed (Washington State), or over-designed (among many, Syracuse comes to mind). There are also unnecessary additions to uniforms that can reduce their overall appeal. Oregon State's face mask, Utah's extra pants striping, and BFBS or GFGS. Also, striping consistency plays a huge part. Florida cannot get their striping pattern down, and it hurts their look. There are no guidelines, but there are many platforms on which to grade a new uniform. And yes, my background is in graphic design.

17+Fiest+Bowl_sig.png

On 9/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, djam2410 said:

DKvOfGJUIAExuey.jpg

Duke jerseys for the Miami game 

I think my favorite part of this is the little bubble pointing to the different articles of clothing. Like we weren't sure what they are. "This thing here, that's a helmet, in case you were wondering."

Yes, I get that the jersey, helmet, and pants are in grey bubbles and the gloves in blue which represent the base color of that item, but it's done on such a small level it feels totally unnecessary.

SEAsig.png

1 hour ago, joeether said:

New uniforms are usually hated by us old folks if they look like they are solely jumping on a fad. If the uniform looks like it could blend in perfectly with a stone or brick wall because "Hey, our school has buildings too!", then it likely sucks.  If the facemask has more than one color, then it likely sucks. If the uniform has numbers and stripes that look like high gloss paint, it likely sucks. If the uniform is >50% anthracite, GFGS, or BFBS, it likely could be heavily improved. If the uniform still has shoulder/torso inserts that could be described as "The Jaws of Husky Stadium", it probably could be improved.  

There are plenty of new uniforms that look great because they have a traditional look.    

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, joeether said:

I dont think we hate everything thats new. It's just that a lot of these new designs make zero sense, which is why they are disliked.

a2BRS8U.png

14 minutes ago, Scoo8b said:

New helmet/logo for Iowa State

I like everything about that. No gray, and it's a low-key homage to the 80s helmets.  I wonder if they flipped the logo or use the same decals on the right side.

EDIT - the logo is flipped on the right side.  And people on Twitter think the logo looks like Bugle chips.  

https://twitter.com/CycloneFB/status/913516040679776257

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Question for @WavePunter - what kind of decals are these?  If metallic decals have flakes, and chrome decals are what Stanford uses...what's the official classification of these?

These appear to be chrome.. Notice the lack of a true "mirror" finish.. Colored chrome it's made by layering a transparent color over silver chrome, but silver chrome is the most "chrome-y".. Schutt recently came very close to "perfecting" the chrome decal, as evidenced by some samples I received, so this could be their chrome.. I actually prefer the "grainy" chrome, as it tends to give that general "metallic" look most teams are actually going for, without being over-the-top chrome, but if the full-on chrome look is what you're after, Schutt is the closest I've seen..

I'll post some pics of the sample tomorrow for comparison.

Also, the die-cut nature of this example suggests it could be a different material altogether.. For one-offs, teams don't always use the most durable decal materials.. This could be a thinner, more mirrored chrome vinyl, or something more along those lines at least.. I can post some pics of that type of material as well

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I like everything about that. No gray, and it's a low-key homage to the 80s helmets.  I wonder if they flipped the logo or use the same decals on the right side.

EDIT - the logo is flipped on the right side.  And people on Twitter think the logo looks like Bugle chips.  

That is interesting... it looks like one guy made the comment and a bunch of people liked it, then Bugle themselves tweeted, and now it's taking off. I'm also seeing some Iowa writers/bloggers mentioning the bugle thing now. It would be very interesting if the rollout (which seemed to go great for the first 15 minutes, haha) gets turned into a complete bugle fest by tonight.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I mean, they’re not wrong. Do they make a “Flamin’ Hot” version of Bugles?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I guess NC State is happy with the mojo they've found in the last 2 weeks with Tuffy on the helmets (especially beating FSU on the road) as he makes a 3rd straight appearance on the helmet. This time replacing the block S on the military appreciation "Iron Wolf" uniforms that were first introduced in 2015. 

Screenshot 2017-09-28 18.09.25.png

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Archived