College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

Cal going with the white pants tomorrow at Oregon:

Since the Ducks will almost surely be in either black or green pants tomorrow, I’m glad to see Cal stay away from the navy pants for this game. I’d prefer the Bears go with the gold pants, as navy/white/gold is their best overall road look, but I’m fine with navy/white/white for this game. It should be a pretty good looking matchup, assuming the Ducks really do go with the green jerseys and black or green pants.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, nuordr said:

Miss State.PNG

Did Miss. State take the silver outline off the helmet this year?  Or is the outline still on the logo but hardly visible in that pic?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Is Miami wearing White/White/Orange in terms of helmet/jersey/pants tonight as their combo? I know Duke is rolling out those strange grey jerseys, but I didn't know if that would prompt the Canes to wear their traditional roads or something more resembling their home combos. 

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Did Miss. State take the silver outline off the helmet this year?  Or is the outline still on the logo but hardly visible in that pic?

It was taken off four games into the 2015 season:

http://www.hailstateunis.com/notable-articles/helmets-of-the-adidas-era

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ole Miss is breaking out the Powder Blue helmets for Alabama tomorrow:

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Flyovers are badass, no matter who or where you are;

flag uniforms are indeed over-played;

military salutes really aren't that bad, especially if you believe in altruism;

all military recruiting is used with public money; but on the flip side, a lot of military jobs are pretty phenomenal.  Do you go to the ROTC office and complain they are spreading propaganda to college kids? 

"unpaid" (need a fact check here) and exploited (subjective definition) student athletes (who may or may no go to class) receive more perks and benefits than any other student group, 

I'm really, really not trying to turn the college football uniforms thread into a political debate.  However college football uniforms are so littered with pro-military political statements it's hard for me to separate them.  So I'm going to respond to your points as you brought them up and try not to soap box too much.

- Flyovers are a display of military power and strength at a sporting event.  Having a fire truck at your block party is bad ass.  Having your mascot ride out on a chromed out Harley is bad ass. Flyovers are done because they want kids in the crowd to look up and say "coooooool" then sign up to fly those things when they get older.  And then go drop bombs on foreign countries in those "bad ass" planes.  The government doesn't blow millions of dollars on flyovers just because they want to put on a show for fans.

- "Overplayed" isn't the problem.  BFBS is "overplayed".  Chrome helmets are "overplayed".  American flag uniforms are a disgraceful political statement paraded as patriotism.

- Altruism?  The NFL gets paid for those salutes, nothing altruistic about that.  Colleges market the hell out of these "altruistic" displays of patriotism.  Oregon (my alma mater) sells shirts, hats, jerseys, etc. for the military every spring game.  Some proceeds go to Wounded Warriors . . . but some also go to the athletic department.  Celebrating the soldier who just got home is simply pandering to a crowd that will happily rally behind that.  You can't not get up and clap.  Costs the team nothing and gets them all kinds of "altruism points" from the fans.  It's marketing, PR, and money.  Not altruism.  

- Yes, I have complained to the ROTC office that they're spreading propaganda to college kids.  I've actively worked to keep military recruitment out of public high schools.  I'm certainly coming at this with strong pacifist and anti-military personal feelings and I won't deny or hide that.  I also don't think that means I'm wrong here.

- I won't get into the exploited college athlete discussion other than to say, yeah, I think they're exploited.

12 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

I'm really, really not trying to turn the college football uniforms thread into a political debate.  However college football uniforms are so littered with pro-military political statements it's hard for me to separate them.  So I'm going to respond to your points as you brought them up and try not to soap box too much.

- Flyovers are a display of military power and strength at a sporting event.  Having a fire truck at your block party is bad ass.  Having your mascot ride out on a chromed out Harley is bad ass. Flyovers are done because they want kids in the crowd to look up and say "coooooool" then sign up to fly those things when they get older.  And then go drop bombs on foreign countries in those "bad ass" planes.  The government doesn't blow millions of dollars on flyovers just because they want to put on a show for fans.

Just stop.  I couldn't read any further.   My friends and I that were in the military have lived incredible lives.  The military isn't for everyone, but it does a lot of great things for people who would otherwise have nothing.  

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

My friends and I that were in the military have lived incredible lives.  The military isn't for everyone, but it does a lot of great things for people who would otherwise have nothing.  

I'm sure you have.  My friends and family that were in the military have had great lives too.  That literally has nothing to do with anything I said about the military's place in uniforms and sporting events, but I understand that you don't want to talk about that.  No one does. I'm fine ending the discussion here as I know this isn't the place.  The past week's flag kneeling debate has just had me doing a lot of thinking on the subject lately.

7 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

I'm sure you have.  My friends and family that were in the military have had great lives too.  That literally has nothing to do with anything I said about the military's place in uniforms and sporting events, but I understand that you don't want to talk about that.  No one does. I'm fine ending the discussion here as I know this isn't the place.  The past week's flag kneeling debate has just had me doing a lot of thinking on the subject lately.

Well your points went way beyond the military's place in sports.  You're anti-military, but if North Korea shoots off a nuke, I'll bet you're gonna be pro-military quickly and hope the military shoots it down.  And the first ships to Puerto Rico were US Naval ships. No big deal. You do you.  

2 hours ago, 406Cane said:

Is Miami wearing White/White/Orange in terms of helmet/jersey/pants tonight as their combo? I know Duke is rolling out those strange grey jerseys, but I didn't know if that would prompt the Canes to wear their traditional roads or something more resembling their home combos. 

White/white/green:

A8366385-2944-4F27-923C-95304F99ACB5.thumb.jpeg.644e7fa3d708edb36652df3627d0f662.jpeg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

Trigger warning:  Anti-patriotism rant coming up.

I know it's unpopular at the moment to bring politics into sports.  And a lot of people feel like the military has been a little disrespected with this whole kneeling thing recently, but  . . . I’m so sick of our country using sports, especially college sports and public schools as military propaganda.  I understand that respecting and honoring our service men and women is important, and their sacrifice deserves our respect, but this isn’t about respect, it’s about PR.  I don’t even like the national anthem being played before games, but I understand the tradtion.  What I don’t understand is the flyovers, the flag uniforms, the military salutes, the stand and clap for a veteran who just got home from overseas, etc.  It is military recruiting propaganda aimed at kids and families being done with public money (although they don’t disclose that), during sporting events played by unpaid and exploited students.  It is a disgrace.

That's a nice helmet though.  I like the glitter.  

Flyovers are public money, but in at least some cases,  it's probably public money that's going to be spent anyway.  When I was in the Florida Air National Guard out of Jacksonville as a jet mechanic, some of our jets did a flyover for a Jaguars game and we just changed the daily flying schedule a bit to accommodate the mission.  The jets flew every day to get the pilots their training hours anyways and the flyover didn't require them to be airborne any longer than they otherwise would have.  Besides, like WSU said, they're bad ass.

I agree with the overkill on military and flag uniforms, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Dont know if Canadian university football has ever been brought up on this thread, but my hometown school, Western University unveiled their newest "Blackout" uniform for this season along with a new all chrome helmet. Their main colours are white and purple but they've been adding grey and black to their uniforms over the past 5 years, and are 1 of only 3 Under Armour teams in the country (Mount Allison U and U of Saskatchewan being the others) 

WesternUniforms-01.jpg

DKhJ1G-VoAAKs5X.jpg

DKcdisfW4AA9-Mc.jpg

Archived