College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, the reason they were on the throwbacks is because they were on the originals;

college-football-ohio-state-qb-rex-kern-

coll-football-ohio-state-qb-rex-kern-in-

UM-OSU-1969.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuEgl7piC1l24MQ5z_y_Qcollege-football-rear-view-of-ohio-state

But if you're asking why they were black on the original, that's a damn good question, one I've wondered about for years.  My theory (just a guess) is that they were added as an afterthought.  Here is the '67 team shot...

72171_h.jpg?itok=htodnAYI

It's hard to tell but it seems like in '67 they have the classic modified NW stripe, but no TV numbers.  And in '68, when the numbers were added, they actually were placed partially on the stripes like in the above images. Maybe the thought was that a white number would get lost in the stripes so they went with black.  The next year they moved up to the shoulder but stayed black.  And by '70 they went to white at home, scarlet on the road.

My question is why those throwback whites didn't have black TV numbers. I was disappointed in that decision.  You say you don't hate it?  Let me go further... I love it! If it were up to me, black TV numbers would become a permanent feature on tOSU's uniforms. Like the Dodgers' red front numbers, and the NY Giants' road jersey's lack of blue, it's one of those "lost to history" quirks that make me love a design even more. 

Ha! Thanks! Never knew that they were originally black. I just thought it was an edgy twist on the classic OSU jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, H11K said:

In games, I think these look much better than the last uniforms. They each have their own issues, but I've grown on the current threads.

I also like these uniforms for Arizona. They're a couple minor tweaks away from perfection: fixing the helmet logos and putting outlines on the jersey numbers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Came here to post this. Wisconsin should do it more often. In fact, I think all teams with white helmets should use white face masks. It looks clean.

There have been a lot of great white helmets that don't have white facemasks.  A lot of white/white helmets look like generic practice helmets.

A few teams that wear white helmets and look great with non-white facemasks:

Air Force

Auburn

Colorado

Duke

NC State

Nebraska

Penn State

SMU

South Carolina

Stanford

TCU

Wyoming

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

TCU's white helmet has a purple chrome face mask. I think it looks clean, without the white face mask. 

I am an absolute sucker for that helmet, and I don't even like TCU.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Would it kill visitors to wear some color? Okie St how about some orange helmets and/or pants? All white isn’t all that “tight” anymore. /rant

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Anyone know what the insignia that Nike schools have over their left chest on some team gear?  Mike Gundy has it on his sweat shirt at wvu today. Looks like military insignia. I’ve seen LSU gear have it too. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

5 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

Anyone know what the insignia that Nike schools have over their left chest on some team gear?  Mike Gundy has it on his sweat shirt at wvu today. Looks like military insignia. I’ve seen LSU gear have it too. 

It's just stripes in each teams' colors...

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

There have been a lot of great white helmets that don't have white facemasks.  A lot of white/white helmets look like generic practice helmets.

A few teams that wear white helmets and look great with non-white facemasks:

Air Force

Auburn

Colorado

Duke

NC State

Nebraska

Penn State

SMU

South Carolina

Stanford

TCU

Wyoming

Good point. What I mean is it should be a more significant option for teams. Not always, but more prominent.

1 hour ago, OKC BUZZ said:

It's just stripes in each teams' colors...

Yup, just this. But depending on someteam colors it can look like a service award. For most teams it's the helmet striping for their primary helmet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived