College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

29 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

These two statements are contradictory, imo.  

Simple =/= good. I know this board is all in on the whole traditional style, but keep in mind that a lot of why uniforms like Penn State work so well are A. The color scheme is perfect for them, and B. They have tradition and history to back them up. Imagine if Penn State's exact style was done in say, green and black by a no name school, it would look awful. Specifically, the use of white (see also alabama) is necessary for a very simple uniform to still pop and work well. Wazzu's uniforms use a lot of grey and red, two colors that really don't gel together when used alone. It's not like silver which has sheen enough to pop, grey is a flat color and the way wazzu is using red also makes it flat. Basically their uniforms don't work primarily because the colors they are using don't work well on their own without other design elements. This is why their previous uniforms were so great, because the stripes on the uniform helped compliment two flat colors. There was enough going on to visually interest the viewer without being over done. Here there is just nothing to visually interest anyone, it just looks like template uniforms.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Simple =/= good. I know this board is all in on the whole traditional style, but keep in mind that a lot of why uniforms like Penn State work so well are A. The color scheme is perfect for them, and B. They have tradition and history to back them up. Imagine if Penn State's exact style was done in say, green and black by a no name school, it would look awful. Specifically, the use of white (see also alabama) is necessary for a very simple uniform to still pop and work well. Wazzu's uniforms use a lot of grey and red, two colors that really don't gel together when used alone. It's not like silver which has sheen enough to pop, grey is a flat color and the way wazzu is using red also makes it flat. Basically their uniforms don't work primarily because the colors they are using don't work well on their own without other design elements. This is why their previous uniforms were so great, because the stripes on the uniform helped compliment two flat colors. There was enough going on to visually interest the viewer without being over done. Here there is just nothing to visually interest anyone, it just looks like template uniforms.

Well, that's not true.  I'm interested, and I like to think I'm someone.

My old drawing instructor used to say that if you can render an object in three lines, than use three lines.  Everything else will just be superfluous clutter.  

I've seen enough cutting-edge, gimmick laden, one-of-a-kind CFB designs to last me quite a while, thank you.  At this point, the envelope has been pushed against so hard that it's lost all meaning.  You could see it with Oregon last year... everything that once came off as so fresh just fell flat.     

It's obvious to me that this hard turn towards a uniform so meticulously scrubbed clean was a clear choice, and a damn good one IMO.  Washington State will stand out from everyone they play just as effectively as Oregon used to, but for the exact opposite reason. It's brilliant.  And that'll be the only "pop" they need.  

My problem with WSU that I don't have with Nevada is that at least Nevada looks commited to the traditional look while the Cougs are neither here nor there since they retained that god awful font. In my mind they resemble a Walmart version of their past selves. 

Midway.png

Looks like Nike is ditching my favorite practice shorts. You know, the ones that so perfectly mimicked the actual game pants with the stripes on the sides. In its place, they have an updated practice short with a new athletic cut and small stripes on the back of the calf. Still cool and they look quality, just not as cool as the old shorts.

IMG_8984.PNG

IMG_8985.PNG

For reference, the old:

IMG_8986.JPG

On 5/8/2017 at 8:57 PM, Webfooter said:

Not if you can barely tell who they are or the previous "costumes" were clearly better.

I can only assume that the irony of an Oregon fan making a statement like that is lost on you.  

:D ...  ;)

10 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like Nike is ditching my favorite practice shorts. You know, the ones that so perfectly mimicked the actual game pants with the stripes on the sides. In its place, they have an updated practice short with a new athletic cut and small stripes on the back of the calf. Still cool and they look quality, just not as cool as the old shorts.

IMG_8984.PNG

IMG_8985.PNG

For reference, the old:

IMG_8986.JPG

The old shorts are definitely better.  The price point is a little out of whack.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The old shorts are definitely better.  The price point is a little out of whack.

It's silly how much some of that stuff costs. Makes me understand (although not condone) why there are so many fakes. Fans just want their team's gear and don't want to be paying $100 for a pair of gym shorts. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 5/8/2017 at 7:20 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

My old drawing instructor used to say that if you can render an object in three lines, than use three lines.  Everything else will just be superfluous clutter.  

I've seen enough cutting-edge, gimmick laden, one-of-a-kind CFB designs to last me quite a while, thank you.  At this point, the envelope has been pushed against so hard that it's lost all meaning.  You could see it with Oregon last year... everything that once came off as so fresh just fell flat.     

It's obvious to me that this hard turn towards a uniform so meticulously scrubbed clean was a clear choice, and a damn good one IMO.  Washington State will stand out from everyone they play just as effectively as Oregon used to, but for the exact opposite reason. It's brilliant.  And that'll be the only "pop" they need.  

I mean sure, they'll stick out. You could put pictures of dildos on your uniforms and stick out too. Simply sticking out doesn't mean anything. I see Wazzu's new uniforms and I see the same :censored: we've been seeing for about a decade now, just in a different package. Nike is trying to make "traditional" kewl again. This is just another attempt at a trend now that nike has seen that the whole chrome thing is losing it's luster. I'm guarantee your Oregon's new uniforms are going to be "simple" as well. And you guys are going to praise the hell out of them, and probably the next batch of uniforms that follow suit. Then 4 years later everyone is wearing nothing but solid colored helmets, pants, and jerseys, and people on this same board are going to be pondering "hey, remember those pro combat unis from the early 2010s? Man why aren't college football uniforms creative again?".

Who knows, maybe this trend doesn't take off and we get chrome for another decade. Or maybe wazzu is just a one off. But I'm almost certain that these new uniforms are a test to see if it's ok to start the next big trend. It's just a counter trend to a previous trend Nike themselves created. It's all corporate bull :censored:, and I'm surprised you of all people don't seem to get it.

3 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I mean sure, they'll stick out. You could put pictures of dildos on your uniforms and stick out too. Simply sticking out doesn't mean anything. I see Wazzu's new uniforms and I see the same :censored: we've been seeing for about a decade now, just in a different package. Nike is trying to make "traditional" kewl again. This is just another attempt at a trend now that nike has seen that the whole chrome thing is losing it's luster. I'm guarantee your Oregon's new uniforms are going to be "simple" as well. And you guys are going to praise the hell out of them, and probably the next batch of uniforms that follow suit. Then 4 years later everyone is wearing nothing but solid colored helmets, pants, and jerseys, and people on this same board are going to be pondering "hey, remember those pro combat unis from the early 2010s? Man why aren't college football uniforms creative again?".

Who knows, maybe this trend doesn't take off and we get chrome for another decade. Or maybe wazzu is just a one off. But I'm almost certain that these new uniforms are a test to see if it's ok to start the next big trend. It's just a counter trend to a previous trend Nike themselves created. It's all corporate bull :censored:, and I'm surprised you of all people don't seem to get it.

And I'm surprised that you somehow know about my unspoken desire to see a uniform covered with pictures of dildos.

It's like you read my secret diary.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:20 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

From my casual observation nike is sports fashion and goes through the same cycles as other labels in the industry do.

Here's what I see as their 3 phases that they cycle through:

• Modern Tech: emphasize a new template's tech features via color blocking panels etc.
  • Retro/Classic: once everyone else catches up and mimics their templates to catch up with the modern trend, they emphasize classic designs to stand out in addition to kick start sales once modern becomes stale
  • Minimal: emphasize the new template's simplicity relative to the competition, once again to stand out amongst the crowd

As others have said we have really hit the ceiling of modern and now the market is flooded with so many bad designs that are oregon inspired they have to say that they are now postmodern where the future is sleek an minimal while everyone else languishes in clutter and scattershot color palettes. You can also combine that with the coaching excuse of getting back to fundamentals and we are also hitting up enough of a timespan where younger kids will start wanting to go dark and retro again to buck against the hyper neon that the older cohort embraced.

Just my $0.02

On 5/5/2017 at 1:16 PM, H11K said:

Well if this says anything it's that the return to the old stripes could be possible which I am really hoping for. From what I've been told the new unis are more so moving back to what Nick Foles had worn.

Ask your boy when we're gonna see em!!!

Not exactly uniform related, but equipment related: Texas currently is using technology to monitor the severity of hits their players are taking, and in this video they show a clear helmet. Obviously, it wouldn't be used in game, but cool to see nonetheless.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

3 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Not exactly uniform related, but equipment related: Texas currently is using technology to monitor the severity of hits their players are taking, and in this video they show a clear helmet. Obviously, it wouldn't be used in game, but cool to see nonetheless.

Nebraska and Washington (and I think UCLA) have used that tech in that past, although it was a thin mesh cap that could be worn under a helmet, as I recall. 

Slight improvement to have it embedded in the helmet, but feels like Texas is pulling an Apple move here and just rebranding existing tech to their legions of fan boys. 

I'm sure it'll be cited as a reason for keeping the peasants at a lower media revenue share in the Bevo Teat Sucker Conference. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

3 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

When I saw this i kept wondering if a team could have a translucent outer shell and then a colored inner shell centimeters lower to make an "offset" effect. I feel like that would be pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

When I saw this i kept wondering if a team could have a translucent outer shell and then a colored inner shell centimeters lower to make an "offset" effect. I feel like that would be pretty cool.

Seems like it'd have a Bubble Boy effect.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived