College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

nice article from HOW on Nike, football uniforms, and custom typefaces

"Building Custom Typeface For Sports Teams"

http://www.howdesign.com/design-creativity/building-custom-sports-typefaces/

Great article.  Do have to wonder if there'll come a time when creating new custom fonts for each school or pro team will become near impossible for fans to tell a noticeable difference.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Great article.  Do have to wonder if there'll come a time when creating new custom fonts for each school or pro team will become near impossible for fans to tell a noticeable difference.

not if you're doing it right. which is to take something  very specific of a given team/school (or at least something that makes sense, like bricks for Michigan) and express that through typography. logo design is the same. the reason you do something custom is to seperate it from everything else. i think the primary reason we're in this custom type time now is because things looked so similar before. or, many teams using exactly the same font. 

but that said, i do get what you're saying. some would say the "horn" details in Arkansas jersey is the same as Washington. its not, UW's was very carefully considered and do set at the angle of their stadium. but the two are so close, the meaning and teason for them get lost. i suppose that comes back to "doing it right"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

53 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

not if you're doing it right. which is to take something  very specific of a given team/school (or at least something that makes sense, like bricks for Michigan) and express that through typography. logo design is the same. the reason you do something custom is to seperate it from everything else. i think the primary reason we're in this custom type time now is because things looked so similar before. or, many teams using exactly the same font. 

but that said, i do get what you're saying. some would say the "horn" details in Arkansas jersey is the same as Washington. its not, UW's was very carefully considered and do set at the angle of their stadium. but the two are so close, the meaning and teason for them get lost. i suppose that comes back to "doing it right"

Come on now. If you look closely nike's uniform program is extremely iterative and template driven. They do a few proprietary/unique fonts for their flagship schools then tweak them slightly for other schools.

Variety is always good but proprietary for the sake of it feels very flash in the pan. I'm sure some of it is coach driven but especially in football you see quite a few examples of going custom font for a few seasons then back to traditional block which indicates that they don't have much staying power.

What I do love is old school manufacturer block fonts like usc and when notre dame had champion numbers...just enough variety but an old school look.

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Come on now. If you look closely nike's uniform program is extremely iterative and template driven. They do a few proprietary/unique fonts for their flagship schools then tweak them slightly for other schools.

Variety is always good but proprietary for the sake of it feels very flash in the pan. I'm sure some of it is coach driven but especially in football you see quite a few examples of going custom font for a few seasons then back to traditional block which indicates that they don't have much staying power.

are we saying different things? i dont disagree with that. proprietary fonts might or might not be trendy, but i wasn't arguing the timelessness of them. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

are we saying different things? i dont disagree with that. proprietary fonts might or might not be trendy, but i wasn't arguing the timelessness of them. 

I was debating the uniqueness. Personally I think you're overplaying the uniqueness aspect to a degree and the value that you are giving them. Off the top of my head don't michigan and minnesota have sublimated brick patterns now? Even the whole sublimated patters already feel like a cheap fad. point is that. When nike does do something really unique in recent days they end up looking like total garbage and illegible like arizona with the 1970's computer font or syracuse with their 44 degree angle/skyscraper monstrosity. Michigan's new font also feels very forced with the 2 & 4 feeling like they belong to entirely separate font families. The traditional russell block font they used in the 90's was perfect for them.

23 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

nice article from HOW on Nike, football uniforms, and custom typefaces

"Building Custom Typeface For Sports Teams"

http://www.howdesign.com/design-creativity/building-custom-sports-typefaces/

Okaaaaaaay...? 

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

Twitter: @krisbazen

Dribbble: dribbble.com/krisbazen

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

I was debating the uniqueness. Personally I think you're overplaying the uniqueness aspect to a degree and the value that you are giving them. Off the top of my head don't michigan and minnesota have sublimated brick patterns now? Even the whole sublimated patters already feel like a cheap fad. point is that. When nike does do something really unique in recent days they end up looking like total garbage and illegible like arizona with the 1970's computer font or syracuse with their 44 degree angle/skyscraper monstrosity. Michigan's new font also feels very forced with the 2 & 4 feeling like they belong to entirely separate font families. The traditional russell block font they used in the 90's was perfect for them.

right, i wasn't saying they're all unique or even good. but they are "if you're doing it right". i don't think MICH or MIN have a brick pattern (Minnesota removed it) in the numbers and of course they were a trend. but that decoration is separate from the design of the font itself. surely, you know i've been harsh at time on Nike's type design too, but i do believe they get it right sometimes and the last few years have been a huge improvement over the days they were doing Syracuse and West Virginia. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Interesting bit here for Arizona that I just noticed. On the new poster for 2017 season I noticed two possible indicators.

A.) No featuring of any type of gradient design element, which had been used on the last 3 posters. The past few posters of either used the striping directly, or shown them on the uniforms.

B.) Red,White, and Blue stripe design behind the word mark, like the old striping.

Call me crazy but these could be indications that they have in fact moved away from the gradient.

Portable Network Graphics image-3371556BF46B-1.png

a2BRS8U.png

If only Arizona would just stick to white helmets with navy facemask. NEVER liked their all red helmets. The navy blues were an easier pill to swallow than the reds.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, H11K said:

Interesting bit here for Arizona that I just noticed. On the new poster for 2017 season I noticed two possible indicators.

A.) No featuring of any type of gradient design element, which had been used on the last 3 posters. The past few posters of either used the striping directly, or shown them on the uniforms.

B.) Red,White, and Blue stripe design behind the word mark, like the old striping.

Call me crazy but these could be indications that they have in fact moved away from the gradient.

Portable Network Graphics image-3371556BF46B-1.png

The biggest problem with Zona is their helmet logo is too small. I swear It was larger in the 90s when try only had the white helmet.

Just now, Rixaroo said:

The biggest problem with Zona is their helmet logo is to small. I swear It was larger in the 90s when try only had the white helmet.

You're not wrong, it was how it should be.

a2BRS8U.png

New uniforms for Utah football...if it isn't broken. don't fix it.... i dont really like the pants on this set

and this also scares me for the Cal set also....which is set for a June 1st unveiling

C_9RwyMVwAQVX8B.jpg

C_9TEOWUAAAfrd7.jpg

C_9VfWvUwAACBtn.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

45 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

New uniforms for Utah football...if it isn't broken. don't fix it.... i dont really like the pants on this set

and this also scares me for the Cal set also....which is set for a June 1st unveiling

C_9RwyMVwAQVX8B.jpg

C_9TEOWUAAAfrd7.jpg

C_9VfWvUwAACBtn.jpg

they had to break a good thing... 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'd say it's a pretty lateral move on the jerseys. I kinda miss the mountains, but the stripe looks kinda sharp. If the pants stripes didn't wrap around they'd be an upgrade, but with the wraparound it just doesn't look very good, Just a case of UA coloring something completely unnecessary.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Archived