College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

2 minutes ago, H11K said:

Aside from the pants word mark (which isn't a huge deal IMO), I think these are awesome, Im just hoping they keep black off of them!

You just know they're going to bring the black unis back.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

RE: Boise Sate

Pros:

• Sleeve Stripes.
  • Consistency between the 3 colors.

Cons:

• Gray instead of white.
  • Italic font.
  • Over sized logo.
  • Mismatch logos on sides of helmet.
  • Words on pants.
  • "Blue collar" on the inside of the collar.
  • Chrome facemasks.
  • Chrome helmet logos.

Did I miss anything?

Yes... annoying insistence on bush league monochrome.

I really like what Boise did with these. The shoulder striping is really sharp and something they should take advantage of. I made a very quick mockup of what it would look like if they put the stripes on the pants, and it's a massive improvement.

I also was hoping that they would move away from this helmet design. I don't hate it (other than the asymmetry) but was looking for something different. Not sure how you could place the stripes on the helmet and keep the angle, though.

DBGFcQTUQAEHpmg2.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

seems like more and more teams are playing the "blue collar" angle and Boise turns it up here to an annoying level. i'd be fine with the inside collar phrase or just having a blue colored collar on all the jerseys. but with both, they show it and say it and it feels like asking if the audience gets the punch line after the joke is told. i also believe a chrome face mask and helmet logo competes against this blue collar image. you know who plays that up well? Texas— uniforms designed as "work clothes", completely void of any flashy trimmings. (at least before they put the metallic logo on the helmet) Boise is not balancing the post-Pro Combat swag with a humble, hard working image well. in short, there's no clear definition of a brand here.

its a uniform i want to like; my initial reaction this afternoon was that its a nice uniform. but im disappointed by the inconsistency in silvers— the chrome helmet details, metallic silver stripes, and flat gray numbers all clash and looks a bit tacky. if everything were gray, or silver, or even chrome it would do a lot to balance this uniform out and maintain a high-end look. instead it looks like a cheap Pro Combat knockoff. 

if they got anything right its the jersey stripes. im not sure what the story is behind them or why they're at this angle, but its an original idea and i think the whole uniform works best with them being only on the sleeves. Clint's mockup above with the stripes on the pants is too many uses of a good thing for my taste; its actually a distracting. 

for me, i'd give this uniform a C+

EDIT - looks like the numbers are metallic, not gray. its still a clash against the helmet though. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't think monochrome is a major issue.  I think its actually a nice look for many teams.  I think the issue comes when the jerseys have different stripes or the helmets have different logos, or when the stripes aren't consistent between the different aspects of the uniform - like these: no stripe on the helmet, stripes on the sleeves, wordmark on the pants.  Had they carried the stripes to the helmet and pants, this set would have been incredible.

14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Lots of teams display the monochrome options like this because it shows every possible piece of equipment better. I'm sure these aren't the only 3 combos they will wear with this set. They will mix and match.

With the uproar of the "Blue Collar" inscription on the blue collar, is it really that big a deal since you'll only see it in photos like these promo shots? It will never be seen when watching the team on the field. I get the whole "I know it's there and it still bothers me" mantra, but still, you won't see it.

(Not trying to belittle the comments, just asking a genuine question)

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I wonder if any fans will organically figure out the collar thing. Like some MWC fan notices after a few weeks, "hey, I think the collar on all of their jerseys is blue, I wonder...."

It seems like the kind of thing where anyone who would notice would probably already know from other sources.

i think the monochrome situation here is mainly just for the uniform unveiling.. i'm sure they'll mix-and-match appropriately.

although, for some of the "cons", if anyone has the right to get away with them, it's Boise State..

-monochrome - they've been doing monochrome blue with the blue turf for 2 decades.. given that the turf gimmick drives this, i'll give it a pass

-asymmetrical helmet - they pretty much pioneered this look (in 2011 i believe), and have remained relatively consistent with it.. it's not their fault everyone has copied it -- poorly

-"chrome"/metallic grey - it has become a staple of their identity, and while it feels very closely tied to the the "fad" of chrome and anthracite, it could be worse.. 

my pros:

-building on the existing identity - oversize helmet logo, asymmetrical helmet, wordmarks/number font

-keeping the "gimmicks" to a mimimum/trim - chrome details, collar text, odd striping pattern

-crisp, clean, easy-to-read custom fonts that fit the identity

my cons:

-odd striping pattern - just don't like it.. it's random, makes no sense, isn't consistent with anything else on the uniform, and isn't carried over to any other part of the uniform

-text on the pants

-lack of TV numbers

-chrome logo outline on the orange helmet - makes it difficult to see the logo and make out what it is

side note: a blue satin helmet would look fantastic with this set

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Lots of teams display the monochrome options like this because it shows every possible piece of equipment better. I'm sure these aren't the only 3 combos they will wear with this set. They will mix and match.

yea im pretty sure thats the case too. its just easier for your eye to make sense of all the options when all the pieces are paired together by color. you see it with just about every release. im sure Boise will wear monochrome from time to time (not sure if they can still go all blue at home, didn't they make a rule against that??) and im OK with it. 

@Clintau24 having the inscription on the inside is certainly better than having it on the outside, but it still feels to me like they're going one step too far. its like the design element has to come with a description. it could still work without it, but the bigger issue is there are too many ideas in one uniform here and they're conflicting ideas. what is it that supposed to be unique and memorable about this uniform? the chrome helmet logo/mask? the helmet color options? the new stripes? the metallic numbers? the blue collar? the italic font? its just way too much and nothing about this uniform says "blue collar" to me except where it literally says Blue Collar. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

With the uproar of the "Blue Collar" inscription on the blue collar, is it really that big a deal since you'll only see it in photos like these promo shots? It will never be seen when watching the team on the field. I get the whole "I know it's there and it still bothers me" mantra, but still, you won't see it.

(Not trying to belittle the comments, just asking a genuine question)

i tend to agree with you on these things.. i think those subtle touches are really neat.. they're generally not for us - they're for the players.. this one sort of blurs the line, because as has already been pointed out, it sort of has to come with the explanation in order for us to notice it.. but it still doesn't bother me, because it's not a feature that i would ever see or notice while viewing these uniforms in actions, regardless of how much the camera was zoomed in or how clear the photo was.. it's just something for the players to see, be reminded of, and buy into..

5 hours ago, dont care said:

In what way does it show ever possible piece of equipment "better"?  That makes no sense.  They have three helmets, three jerseys, and three pairs of pants. They can show all nine pieces by dressing three players in monochrome, or show all nine pieces by dressing three players in varying combinations.  How is the monochrome "better" for showing those nine pieces?  It isn't... it's only "better" for showing what those nine pieces will look like when placed in the three least interesting mixes.

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In what way does it show ever possible piece of equipment "better"?  That makes no sense.  They have three helmets, three jerseys, and three pairs of pants. They can show all nine pieces by dressing three players in monochrome, or show all nine pieces by dressing three players in varying combinations.  How is the monochrome "better" for showing those nine pieces?  It isn't... it's only "better" for showing what those nine pieces will look like when placed in the three least interesting mixes.

All-blue at home is Boise's signature look, and they wear all-white on the road on a regular basis. Seems to me that either Nike or the athletic department wanted to showcase the most common combos.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived