College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's a white helmet and nothing more. I actually like it, though I hope they limit its use. The green helmet, at least in my eyes, is iconic to the Spartans' identity. I wouldn't mind seeing one home game with a white-green-white combo, just to see what it would look like. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

As long as it doesn't get used much at home, i don't mind it. This could be unpopular, but I really liked this jersey from 2012 and was hoping for a return to that:

michst-10-12-white-ajmast-vert-620x930.j

The yoke was a nice, unique look that seemed to fit them pretty well imo. It just needed TV numbers on the sleeve. 

spacer.png

Looks like they're also switching to the Vapor Untouchable template, but the design is staying the same. Kind of funny that in the release images for the white helmet, #55 is wearing the VU template, while #17 is wearing the now old Mach Speed set. Seems like they could've at least had both players wearing the same template, even though most people won't notice the difference.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

the all white look in college football is so bland and unoriginal. It's overdone and truthfully it never looked that good.  Alt-white helmets especially are boring as hell.  

ANY team could have a white helmet if they wanted.  There is nothing special or unique about it.  

Michigan State's green helmets are outstanding. If you're an MSU alum at a game, what would garner more pride in you: seeing your boys come out in familiar green domed uniforms, a green that in a conference full of red and blue stands out on it's own and defines your school... or in all white Texas/Penn State wannabee uniforms that ANY team could have?

I speak from experience, any time I see WVU in all white I roll my eyes and long for blue and gold.  I can't wait until this dopey trend dies out.  

90758391980.gif

54 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

the all white look in college football is so bland and unoriginal. It's overdone and truthfully it never looked that good.  Alt-white helmets especially are boring as hell.  

ANY team could have a white helmet if they wanted.  There is nothing special or unique about it.  

Michigan State's green helmets are outstanding. If you're an MSU alum at a game, what would garner more pride in you: seeing your boys come out in familiar green domed uniforms, a green that in a conference full of red and blue stands out on it's own and defines your school... or in all white Texas/Penn State wannabee uniforms that ANY team could have?

I speak from experience, any time I see WVU in all white I roll my eyes and long for blue and gold.  I can't wait until this dopey trend dies out.  

Unlike WVU, one of MSU's main colors is white though. A white helmet for them makes much more sense than some of the other schools who have done it recently. It's interesting with MSU because they've had a lot of chances to bring out a white helmet since they last wore them over 60 years ago, and instead decided to try bronze and chrome recently. People have speculated that they were doing those options instead of white because some in the program thought white helmets were bad luck when they last wore them in 1954.

The Helmet Hut (http://www.helmethut.com/College/MichState/MSU.html) has a good run-down on MSU considering white helmets unlucky:

Their first game in 1947 was played on the road against Michigan. The Spartans entered the field at Michigan Stadium wearing their new white leather helmets with a green wing (similar to the Bachman black wing design only with a smaller white block "S"). The Wolverines apparently did not think much of Michigan State's new duds as they proceeded to trounce the Spartans 55-0! When Michigan State returned to East Lansing to prepare for the following weeks home opener against heavily favored Mississippi State the players soon discovered that their almost new white leather helmets were suddenly retired by Coach Munn.

---
One noteworthy exception occurred in 1954. The Spartans wore their traditional green helmets for their season opener on the road in Iowa. For unknown reasons, new coach Duffy Daugherty decided to unveil white helmets with a green center stripe the following week for their home opener against Wisconsin. After losing to the Badgers followed by a loss to Purdue, Duffy brought back the traditional green helmets for good (perhaps someone finally told him what happened to Biggie Munn after he initially introduced the white Spartan helmets in 1947).

So, we'll see how they do this time. Superstition has kept them away from white helmets for a long time until now.

2 hours ago, Proc said:

Michigan State should wear green and white only. Hopefully they will get rid of the "bronze" color they've used the past few years.

I like the bronze, only when its used sparingly or as a "logo color."  I wouldn't even mind it as part of a 1 game per year additional color, as long as its not like this last year.  The uniforms need to be somewhat consistent.  The standard home and road are beautiful.  The alt. green is a train wreck.

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I'm going to disagree...kinda. Imo white helmets look fine if, and only if, white is one of that school's primary colors.

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Love it! Too many teams go BFBS or add in colors that don't belong and Michigan State, as of late, has been guilty of both (black and bronze). However, white alt white helmets are fine for me, no matter the team, But since MSU is white and green, this just works so much better. I would love to seem them alternate between this and green. Its a great look.

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I agree.. White helmets look so pee-wee league to me.. Like where every team has the white helmets they bought at Dick's with various team logos slapped on.. It's certainly iconic to some teams, but generally not the best choice, especially for a new team or new uniform design..

An all-white uniform looks great with a colored helmet (Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma), which is why I hate the trend of additional helmets for every alt.. I don't mind a team have a 2nd helmet for a few games per year, but you don't need a white helmet for your white jersey, a black helmet for your BFBS jersey, a secondary color helmet for your alt jersey, etc.. 

A strong alt should fit with your current helmet and primary pants, unless it's a one-off gimmicky uniform (like MSU's bronze uniform)..

But MSU should definitely stick with the green kids, with Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Maryland, etc using white helmets primarily, and many more carrying them as alts

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I like the bronze, only when its used sparingly or as a "logo color."  I wouldn't even mind it as part of a 1 game per year additional color, as long as its not like this last year.  The uniforms need to be somewhat consistent.  The standard home and road are beautiful.  The alt. green is a train wreck.

Yeah, the bronze is a great accent color...the bronze helmet with the huge logo is just "meh".  Sparty looks better in green and white and minimal bronze.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived