College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

43 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

it's a better presentation than one with the usual disconnected copywriting, but i still have an issue with it because it does nothing but point out the obvious. you dont need to treat the audience like idiots, just give them enough to make the connections themselves. i think something like this works much better

unlv.thumb.jpg.87e8de5ae95932abb2867af189ab433b.jpg

Hasn't Hey Reb had a feather on his hat for a while?  I wonder if that element was just too much for the new logo.

I know what bothers me the most...the black (and red) "triangle" that's above the shooting star but not part of the hat.  My eyes want me to believe it's part of the Las Vegas sign shape (because it looks like the star is "shooting" in front of the sign). but it's not.  Remove that one tiny piece, and it's a better logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The faux military stuff just needs to go away. 

If they mentioned it as a military tribute, I missed it, but I just thought it was another shoutout to the forest and trees in the region, similar to how they've done their basketball court. If it were a military tribute, I'm a little less interested in it, but as a standalone design, I thought it was solid.

MKWPRTLIMNMSCYJ.20101106012013.jpg

22 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

If they mentioned it as a military tribute, I missed it, but I just thought it was another shoutout to the forest and trees in the region, similar to how they've done their basketball court. If it were a military tribute, I'm a little less interested in it, but as a standalone design, I thought it was solid.

The uniforms, which were dubbed the "Oregon 33" uniforms, were meant to be a tribute to Oregon as the 33rd state in the Union, not as a nod to the military. And since the uniforms were for the Civil War, the camo pattern and the flying duck decal on the helmets were more of a reference to the Civil War rivalry rather than an actual military tribute like some of their past spring game uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Beautiful jersey...but the jock tag is a little much.  "California" is all you need on that..

The yellow outline around the numbers is pretty stellar.  They could have gone with one-color navy numbers, to match the home jerseys (with gold numbers), but they didn't, and it was a good choice.

That's a UA thing.  Wordmark on the left, logo on the right.

ff_322095_xl.jpg

34 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

That's a UA thing.  Wordmark on the left, logo on the right.

True...it's just weird when the primary logo is also a word/script.  Will be interested to see how they do the tag for UCLA.

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I was a huge fan of that camo pattern for Oregon. Just go ahead and make it the primary look. The colors were great and it was a great blend of both contemporary design while not being overly busy. It's flashy because the pattern consumes the entire jersey but since it's tonal green, it still just looks like green and yellow at a glance.

Or, you know, they could just actually wear green and yellow;

150101.RJK_.EMG_.FBS_.RoseBowl.RoseBowl.

This is easily the best the Ducks have looked since they became Nike's pets, and they're just yellow pants away from perfection.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

It was a military tribute because they give the jerseys to service members after the game

35 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Or, you know, they could just actually wear green and yellow;

150101.RJK_.EMG_.FBS_.RoseBowl.RoseBowl.

This is easily the best the Ducks have looked since they became Nike's pets, and they're just yellow pants away from perfection.

This is definitely true. That was a great look for Oregon. And while I don't usually love the individual design elements, they do always look better with this combination below. That's also a big reason I liked that camo look.

uounisjpg-546b16b59162c794.jpg

29 minutes ago, dont care said:

It was a military tribute because they give the jerseys to service members after the game

That might have been the case afterwards, but as @upperV03 said, they were inspired by Oregon as the 33rd state, not directly inspired from the military. I know their spring game sets are usually military themed, but that does not appear to have been the case here.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/football/33767386-69/oregon-ducks-reveal-oregon-33-uniforms-for-civil-war-vs.-oregon-state-beavers.csp

1 hour ago, dont care said:

They didn't give those jerseys to service members after the game. That's their annual spring game tradition that was started by Chip Kelly around 2010-2011, where they wear specially designed uniforms that pay tribute to the military in some way, and the jerseys are then given to the service members at the conclusion of the game. They don't do that during the actual season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

43 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

They didn't give those jerseys to service members after the game. That's their annual spring game tradition that was started by Chip Kelly around 2010-2011, where they wear specially designed uniforms that pay tribute to the military in some way, and the jerseys are then given to the service members at the conclusion of the game. They don't do that during the actual season.

You're right. I thought those were the spring game unis looking quickly. 

Still a great look, but is it just me or are those the same skinny numbers? All of those digits look smushed like the last few years, versus the full width numbers before they got the longer shoulder loops. Those skinny numbers were supposed to be a compromise to achieve the longer stripes. Here, they've shortened the stripe but appear to have kept the numbers.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:24 PM, WSU151 said:

It's like when West Virginia wears blue/blue/white or blue/gold/white.  The white doesn't match up with anything.

I understand what you're getting at with blue/blue/white. But (personal opinion) I also really think it's slick when a team wears their two colors on their tops, but then white on the bottoms. I have no explanation for my liking this, other than I just like it. For WVU, if it's not blue/blue/gold at home, then i'll take blue/blue/white. (Though I prefer the original iteration with the stripes, like VT vs. WVU, 2002. Ah, those stripes.)

crop_exact_full_image.jpeg?h=400&w=600&q

Also, I was not able to find blue/gold/white. There was lots of blue/gold/blue. But no white bottoms. One combination I really do like that incorporates white heavily is the white/gold/white which they wore against Mizzou last year:

7 action133.jpg

32 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Still a great look, but is it just me or are those the same skinny numbers? All of those digits look smushed like the last few years, versus the full width numbers before they got the longer shoulder loops. Those skinny numbers were supposed to be a compromise to achieve the longer stripes. Here, they've shortened the stripe but appear to have kept the numbers.

Exactly! Why? May as well use the normal-width set of numbers if they're not going to have the longer should hoops.

6 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I understand what you're getting at with blue/blue/white. But (personal opinion) I also really think it's slick when a team wears their two colors on their tops, but then white on the bottoms. I have no explanation for my liking this, other than I just like it. For WVU, if it's not blue/blue/gold at home, then i'll take blue/blue/white. (Though I prefer the original iteration with the stripes, like VT vs. WVU, 2002. Ah, those stripes.)

crop_exact_full_image.jpeg?h=400&w=600&q

Also, I was not able to find blue/gold/white. There was lots of blue/gold/blue. But no white bottoms. One combination I really do like that incorporates white heavily is the white/gold/white which they wore against Mizzou last year:

7 action133.jpg

If they had stripes with their team colors inwould agree with you but then being plain white makes them stick out like a sore thumb.

6 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Ok I think white/gold/white is what I was thinking of.  I still think it looks weird.^_^

11 hours ago, upperV03 said:

A few looks at LSU on the Vapor Untouchable template:

IMG_5597.thumb.JPG.542c081db902174a0651161f06494d91.JPGIMG_5598.thumb.JPG.56583a54012c64651b14623ee13037c5.JPGIMG_5599.thumb.JPG.f5489dfccc0a8ba5a047921d95504fda.JPG

Do they have a rule against screening on the shoulder stripes? I feel like they could do that and acheive the wrap around look they just got rid of.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, upperV03 said:

A few looks at LSU on the Vapor Untouchable template:

IMG_5597.thumb.JPG.542c081db902174a0651161f06494d91.JPGIMG_5598.thumb.JPG.56583a54012c64651b14623ee13037c5.JPGIMG_5599.thumb.JPG.f5489dfccc0a8ba5a047921d95504fda.JPG

this looks way better, the extended shoulder loops of the last few seasons just didn't look right.  I get what they (and Ole Miss) were trying to do. I just don't think it's doable, unless football goes back to bigger jerseys. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived