College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

New UCLA uniforms dropping on the 15th. They've removed black from their scheme apparently, and they cut off the tail on their script UCLA logo. Will it still work on a helmet without the tail? 

Branding summary: https://spark.adobe.com/page/P3ZQghKkfAxlS/

I'm glad they did this. It should differentiate them from us now 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Do they have a rule against screening on the shoulder stripes? I feel like they could do that and acheive the wrap around look they just got rid of.

I think the reason they don't do this is because of how inconsistent it would be from jersey to jersey. It would either end up looking really bad having cut off stripes or big areas almost looking like sweat stains under the armpit, or be too costly to make it look the same for every player.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

I think the reason they don't do this is because of how inconsistent it would be from jersey to jersey. It would either end up looking really bad having cut off stripes or big areas almost looking like sweat stains under the armpit, or be too costly to make it look the same for every player.

Yeah, plus, screening would have to take place prior to jersey assembly, or the seams would would likely be an issue, causing bumps and leaked ink, etc.. But doing it pre-assembly makes assembly more difficult, as you would have to make sure everything aligns perfectly

2 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

New UCLA uniforms dropping on the 15th. They've removed black from their scheme apparently, and they cut off the tail on their script UCLA logo. Will it still work on a helmet without the tail? 

Branding summary: https://spark.adobe.com/page/P3ZQghKkfAxlS/

Something even better is a more unified look across their entire athletic department.  That really helps solve the problem of all the teams using different versions of the powder blue and a wide array of inconsistent fonts.

A replica jersey listing seems to confirm that Mississippi State will be making an expected change to their home jersey to make it more consistent with the rest of the set.

There's a black jersey listed as well; the November 4th game vs UMass is listed as a "blackout" so I expect that black jerseys will be worn for that game. This could be them, but I'm skeptical since it matches the 2015 striping pattern rather than the 2017 one.

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Yeah, plus, screening would have to take place prior to jersey assembly, or the seams would would likely be an issue, causing bumps and leaked ink, etc.. But doing it pre-assembly makes assembly more difficult, as you would have to make sure everything aligns perfectly

For what it’s worth, most decorated jerseys are produced this way. It’s not anything out of the ordinary, and probably no more inefficient than knitting panels for the stripes. Shoulder loops are about the only thing that are still knitted with regularity, as opposed to screened or sublimated, to be honest.

7 hours ago, djam2410 said:

I'm glad they did this. It should differentiate them from us now 

The official UCLA script has been tail-free for a while now. Football has been the only entity using the tail version. I would be surprised if that changed, to be honest.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

For individual players it would add a little extra time but be doable, but I think for replicas it probably wouldn't happen. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, Webfooter said:

Something even better is a more unified look across their entire athletic department.  That really helps solve the problem of all the teams using different versions of the powder blue and a wide array of inconsistent fonts.

Looks like they are still using a metallic gold plus a athletic gold (yellow).  The metallic gold for football, I think.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

For what it’s worth, most decorated jerseys are produced this way. It’s not anything out of the ordinary, and probably no more inefficient than knitting panels for the stripes. Shoulder loops are about the only thing that are still knitted with regularity, as opposed to screened or sublimated, to be honest.

The official UCLA script has been tail-free for a while now. Football has been the only entity using the tail version. I would be surprised if that changed, to be honest.

Decorated sleeve stripes, yes.. But shoulder loops (specifically within the context of extending them beyond the seam as discussed earlier) would be a much larger issue.. Decorated sleeves are screened and then assembled, but they are only one piece.. To screen shoulder loops on, it would have to be on the yoke, front panel, and back panel, as well as possibly side panels and any inserts in that vicinity.. Then all sewn together perfectly so three stripes match up exactly.. It would be night and day from decorations currently screened on jerseys.

3 hours ago, pscf3 said:

A replica jersey listing seems to confirm that Mississippi State will be making an expected change to their home jersey to make it more consistent with the rest of the set.

There's a black jersey listed as well; the November 4th game vs UMass is listed as a "blackout" so I expect that black jerseys will be worn for that game. This could be them, but I'm skeptical since it matches the 2015 striping pattern rather than the 2017 one.

Why does adidas refuse to wrap the stripes all the way around?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Decorated sleeve stripes, yes.. But shoulder loops (specifically within the context of extending them beyond the seam as discussed earlier) would be a much larger issue.. Decorated sleeves are screened and then assembled, but they are only one piece.. To screen shoulder loops on, it would have to be on the yoke, front panel, and back panel, as well as possibly side panels and any inserts in that vicinity.. Then all sewn together perfectly so three stripes match up exactly.. It would be night and day from decorations currently screened on jerseys.

You could screen the stripe as a separate panel as well, just like the knit panels are all one piece whether they extend past the shoulder seams or not.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

You could screen the stripe as a separate panel as well, just like the knit panels are all one piece whether they extend past the shoulder seams or not.

Then you create additional seams in multiple directions.. Nike already added one seam to include the striped shoulder yoke, and that was just to get the cut off stripe look.. The additional work is probably not worth it to Nike, and any additional costs aren't worth it to most teams.. 

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Then you create additional seams in multiple directions.. Nike already added one seam to include the striped shoulder yoke, and that was just to get the cut off stripe look.. The additional work is probably not worth it to Nike, and any additional costs aren't worth it to most teams.. 

Totally agree. With how tight jerseys are nowadays, the more you have to modify the seaming to accommodate a design, the more the fit changes from team to team, a challenge that didn’t exist when jerseys were looser. At that point, you may be sacrificing functionality for a better look (though I suppose even that’s subjective, as I thought the extended shoulder loops looked a bit clumsy on the modern jersey).

The more versatile and modular the template can be, the more you'll be able to hit the visuals of each team without sacrificing the consistency of the fit.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Totally agree. With how tight jerseys are nowadays, the more you have to modify the seaming to accommodate a design, the more the fit changes from team to team, a challenge that didn’t exist when jerseys were looser. At that point, you may be sacrificing functionality for a better look (though I suppose even that’s subjective, as I thought the extended shoulder loops looked a bit clumsy on the modern jersey).

The more versatile and modular the template can be, the more you'll be able to hit the visuals of each team without sacrificing the consistency of the fit.

which is why i think sublimating them onto the body panel for the Nike Vapor Untouchable is feasible.. the seamless construcion limits the amount of complications that would generally be caused by seams, and sublimating the design into  panel - possibly before even cutting the panel out of the fabric - would eliminate the extra effort/care/time of creating stripes separately for attaching later..

Archived