College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

21 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

When is the last time UCLA didn't have navy on their away jerseys?  I've gone all the way back to 1970 and there's still navy shoulder loops.

IMG_0832.JPG.a510f675e5aa1ace6b48ae2eca725fee.JPG

UCLA wore these in the mid to late 2000's. There's a navy outline on the numbers but the shoulder loops are light blue. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pscf3 said:

Wow. This is one of the biggest downgrades in a while, which feels like a hyperbole but I can't think of a worse case.

The numbers were kinda wonky but that's a minor complaint compared to this Nike snooze fest of a Uniform. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

3 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Toledo with the new Nike uniforms. Where to begin? Generic, templated striping pattern, "word stripe" on pants, GFGS, and they retained their horrendous gradient helmet. Their previous uniforms were nothing too special, but they looked respectable, not like some low-level FCS team.

GFGS has been in the lineup for a while. The horrible number font is gone, I think, but the name down the leg is crap. Sleeves kind of fit the Rockets nickname but they've been around forever. Helmets are the same as before. This is more lateral to me, only because they didn't go super conservative or super modern.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it all comes down to what that stripe looks under the arm, how it terminates and wraps under. Maybe it just doesn’t look right when it’s done that way.

Are you suggesting the image I created doesn't look right? Imo it's the best LSU has looked in a long while (at least on the side I altered)

Under Armor, In my honest opinon has been making big moves compared to nike with the football uniforms, especially after seeing the potential in the UCLA uniforms.

a2BRS8U.png

24 minutes ago, H11K said:

Under Armor, In my honest opinon has been making big moves compared to nike with the football uniforms, especially after seeing the potential in the UCLA uniforms.

Indeed. I think UA is finally starting to really figure it out. California was knocked out of the park, and UCLA is looking very promising.

Now I wish they'd just make the jersey numbers a tad bigger per team in general; they always seem a little small on UA's end. But design wise, they're starting to "get it".

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

UCLA wore these in the mid to late 2000's. There's a navy outline on the numbers but the shoulder loops are light blue. 

Can't believe i missed those but it seems those are the only jerseys without navy shoulder loops in the past 40 years for them.  Too bad they only lasted like 4-5 seasons before they reverted back to navy.

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Are you suggesting the image I created doesn't look right? Imo it's the best LSU has looked in a long while (at least on the side I altered)

No. I mean when it’s not on a player and you’re looking at it flat. Does it arc under the armhole? Do the front and back terminate at a point under the arm like the inlaid stripes used to? Can you keep the stripe weights uniform as they travel under the arm? How do you address different body sizes? Do you need different artwork for each one? There is a lot of experimentation to do that goes beyond how it looks in a photo shoot pose with the player’s arms down at his sides. It has to look good no matter what position his arms are in.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Indeed. I think UA is finally starting to really figure it out. California was knocked out of the park, and UCLA is looking very promising.

Now I wish they'd just make the jersey numbers a tad bigger per team in general; they always seem a little small on UA's end. But design wise, they're starting to "get it".

I know the lead designer for those two projects is no longer there, so let’s hope they can keep up the momentum with high quality work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

I know the lead designer for those two projects is no longer there, so let’s hope they can keep up the momentum with high quality work.

Recruited by adidas or Nike, or did the designer just go on to something else?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I think those unis were ruined by mediocre football (plus the push for Techfit)  They look great in that picture though.  

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Recruited by adidas or Nike, or did the designer just go on to something else?

Neither. Works for a team now.

12 minutes ago, natolian10 said:

If this is what they are gonna look like, I am really happy at what Under Armour is doing. No script or logo on the jersey is perfect.

That would be interesting, from that picture there's still not a standardized blue.

I don't think that this was such a bad uni. Obviously UCLA is a program with a lot of tradition so naturally I'm thrilled for them to go back to more classic looking threads. However, I think that these were an interesting combination of a classic design with modern use of colors such as chrome numbers. Obviously they would look so much better with a different number font and no tire tread.

IMG_2111.JPG

UCLA really ought to go back to using Clarendon numbers
Clarendon_Uniforms_1.png

They brought them back briefly in 2014, only to get rid of them when they brought out the tire tread/tinfoil monstrosities in 2015.

44 minutes ago, radchad said:

UCLA really ought to go back to using Clarendon numbers
Clarendon_Uniforms_1.png

They brought them back briefly in 2014, only to get rid of them when they brought out the tire tread/tinfoil monstrosities in 2015.

Yup. It's like Kansas with Trajan. Just looks right. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, natolian10 said:

If this is what they are gonna look like, I am really happy at what Under Armour is doing. No script or logo on the jersey is perfect.

Internet bloggers that make up assertions are annoying, from the joebruin link:

"The photo clearly shows a UCLA Football home and away jersey among a few other UA-UCLA items. But are these the jerseys UCLA Football will be donning on the field next season?

Often retailers sell replica jerseys, those that is (sic) similar but not exactly the same as the ones the Bruins will wear during the game.

When Adidas sold UCLA gear, they sdol (sic) different jerseys than what the players wore, specifically because the team uniforms were fitted for game play while jerseys that were available for retail were a bit more casual.

So even though these Under Armour jerseys have been leaked, it is possible these are nothing like the ones that the Bruins will be wearing on game day. So until July 17, we here at Go Joe Bruin will reserve judgement and not jump to conclusions."

"Nothing like" them?  C'mon.  Practically and logically speaking...the jerseys previewed will at least be something like the jerseys worn on game day.

Archived