College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

Uniwatch tweeted this article: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170706/how-under-armour-wrote-the-next-chapter-for-ucla

This quote 

"He deconstructs the UCLA stripe as three parallel stripes, all touching. The outside two, which are the same color, represent the past and present. The middle stripe is of another color. It represents the future, guided by the other two."

Oh :censored: off. It's a stripe. You can't just add meaning to a striping pattern that has already existed for decades without corporate branding speak explaining why it is the way it is and then pat yourself on the back for it.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Uniwatch tweeted this article: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170706/how-under-armour-wrote-the-next-chapter-for-ucla

This quote 

"He deconstructs the UCLA stripe as three parallel stripes, all touching. The outside two, which are the same color, represent the past and present. The middle stripe is of another color. It represents the future, guided by the other two."

Oh :censored: off. It's a stripe. You can't just add meaning to a striping pattern that has already existed for decades without corporate branding speak explaining why it is the way it is and then pat yourself on the back for it.  

True they could make rob ryans :censored: sound like a glorious mountain waiting to be climbed or something

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This quote 

We need to set up branding philosophy courses in colleges.  

Sports Branding 301 professor: "Today, we talk about how UCLA's past and present are the same but different....and how the gold stripe represents the future which contradicts the past's "golden years"... 

Class:  "Whooaaaaaa"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The white stripe on the right is emblematic of the white hot burning desire to strive for excellence that lives in the heart of every Bruin. The gold stripe in the middle symbolizes the UCLA community of students, faculty, and alumni going for gold whenever, and wherever, we compete. The white stripe on the left embodies the spirit of those who came before us. 

^

That nonsense I just made up is no more ridiculous than "the outside stripes are our past and present. The middle gold stripe is the future, guided by the other two" STFU. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

IMG_0484.JPG.4ed7d7e7759ca9892a2206934c031b05.JPG

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This quote 

How can anyone sit down in a room with a rep from UA/Nike/Adidas and listen to a spiel like this without taking a swing at them? 

22 hours ago, 406Cane said:

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/07/06/miami-hurricanes-football-adding-black-and-green-jerseys-for-2017/

Hurricanes to wear black and green variations of their uniforms this year. 

19748797_10156390763318242_1001190477481442530_n.jpg

19756371_10156390437418242_4553714225319708842_n.jpg

19 hours ago, CRichardson said:

Those green jerseys could be so much worse but at least they're in the traditional template. 

Those black jerseys, though...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the jerseys pictured mock-ups created by someone unaffiliated w/ the team? I imagine the black uniforms will change more than just the color of the jersey fabric.

4 hours ago, coogrfan said:

How can anyone sit down in a room with a rep from UA/Nike/Adidas and listen to a spiel like this without taking a swing at them? 

Because every football weight/meeting/locker room in America has their own platitudinous quotes on the wall.

4 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the jerseys pictured mock-ups created by someone unaffiliated w/ the team? I imagine the black uniforms will change more than just the color of the jersey fabric.

Richt did this at Georgia too. Outside of possibly adding green, orange or gold (throwback) lids I wouldn't expect too many changes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/6/2017 at 2:10 PM, 406Cane said:

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/07/06/miami-hurricanes-football-adding-black-and-green-jerseys-for-2017/

Hurricanes to wear black and green variations of their uniforms this year. 

19748797_10156390763318242_1001190477481442530_n.jpg

19756371_10156390437418242_4553714225319708842_n.jpg

I'm personally all for the alternate jerseys. I feel green jerseys should be worn at home for the canes at least half the time and I'm all for 1 off black jerseys as long as they are one time only during the season. So overall I love this addition and can't wait to see what the real jerseys will look like

On 7/7/2017 at 7:51 AM, McCarthy said:

This quote 

did that come from UA? or is that the original thinking behind the stripe? 

i suppose its a matter of decoration vs design. was the original intent only aesthetic? was there a purpose for it? (to stand out among competitors?) was there really an expression of a concept? or, was it all 3? 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

16 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

did that come from UA? or is that the original thinking behind the stripe? 

i suppose its a matter of decoration vs design. was the original intent only aesthetic? was there a purpose for it? (to stand out among competitors?) was there really an expression of a concept? or, was it all 3? 

This is from UA to do their own version of nikespeak

57 minutes ago, dont care said:

This is from UA to do their own version of nikespeak

but is it something they came up with now or are they getting this from the school?

if its the former, its disconnected copywriting at its finest/worst. but if its something they're pulling from the original intention of the design, then lets not lynch UA for something thats already there.

because if thats the case (and again i have no idea) we need to look past the poor copywriting and appreciate the stripe being more than decoration. it could be that was an intentional concept being expressed through shape and color, while also being distinctive and also being aesthetic. and THAT is what design should always be- even on a football u iform. and IF thats the case, i think we all should appreciate the UCLA stripe even more. and if not, then we can all go back to hating bad copywriting again.

im just trying to not jump to conclusions and declare "its just a stripe!". you could say that Native American wampum belts are "just a stripe" but they were often designed to represent something, like "2 different people traveling along the same path in harmony". to dismiss design and elements of as meaningless decoration devalues all design even in this niche. and in that case, design becomes nothing more than something that "just looks good" and how far does that get us? not even the small population of this thread can agree on what looks good when it comes to the execution of the stripe itself

GRAPHIC ARTIST

52 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

but is it something they came up with now or are they getting this from the school?

if its the former, its disconnected copywriting at its finest/worst. but if its something they're pulling from the original intention of the design, then lets not lynch UA for something thats already there.

because if thats the case (and again i have no idea) we need to look past the poor copywriting and appreciate the stripe being more than decoration. it could be that was an intentional concept being expressed through shape and color, while also being distinctive and also being aesthetic. and THAT is what design should always be- even on a football u iform. and IF thats the case, i think we all should appreciate the UCLA stripe even more. and if not, then we can all go back to hating bad copywriting again.

im just trying to not jump to conclusions and declare "its just a stripe!". you could say that Native American wampum belts are "just a stripe" but they were often designed to represent something, like "2 different people traveling along the same path in harmony". to dismiss design and elements of as meaningless decoration devalues all design even in this niche. and in that case, design becomes nothing more than something that "just looks good" and how far does that get us? not even the small population of this thread can agree on what looks good when it comes to the execution of the stripe itself

When you read the article it says he took a quote that didn't reference the stripe at all, and then used that to deconstruct the stripes elements when describing them. The explanation wasn't created by the school, Adam Clement created this himself.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Toledo with the new Nike uniforms. Where to begin? Generic, templated striping pattern, "word stripe" on pants, GFGS, and they retained their horrendous gradient helmet. Their previous uniforms were nothing too special, but they looked respectable, not like some low-level FCS team.

Previous uniforms (Under Armour) for comparison:

625786622.jpg

This just reinforces my belief on how much Nike sucks in comparison to Under Armor. Everyone knows that the colors for Toledo are "Midnight Blue" and yellow (i'm sure there is a special name for it but I can't remember). So why the hell is there this grey and black creeping into the uniform? What was wrong with the UA uniforms? What is wrong with yellow? Or should I say; what is wrong with your secondary color that you've had for over 100 years? Why dose Nike try to piss off fans so much? I just don't get the point of removing traditional colors from uniform and replacing them with black and dark grey.

9 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

This just reinforces my belief on how much Nike sucks in comparison to Under Armor. Everyone knows that the colors for Toledo are "Midnight Blue" and yellow (i'm sure there is a special name for it but I can't remember). So why the hell is there this grey and black creeping into the uniform? What was wrong with the UA uniforms? What is wrong with yellow? Or should I say; what is wrong with your secondary color that you've had for over 100 years? Why dose Nike try to piss off fans so much? I just don't get the point of removing traditional colors from uniform and replacing them with black and dark grey.

Blame Toledo, not Nike. They just picked the uniforms out of the catalog, so they're the ones responsible.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 7/8/2017 at 6:35 PM, dont care said:

When you read the article it says he took a quote that didn't reference the stripe at all, and then used that to deconstruct the stripes elements when describing them. The explanation wasn't created by the school, Adam Clement created this himself.

ok, im catching up now. honestly, i don't think this is as nefarious as @McCarthy post made it sound (perhaps unintentionally. this is in no way any kind of aggression towards you, i just dont agree with the thing you said). Clement is referencing something he found.

"When Clement sees the mark, he's inspired by a quote he found on the school's website: "As UCLA moves onward, we leverage our history to define our future."

so yea, he then interpreted the stripe as a symbol of that quote. so its not a typical press release where they're saying "this is what this means", (which is what i thought it was and was confused) its just one persons vision. and if you ask me, his ability to connect the 2 things in that way is a big reason why he became CD of UA team sports. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived