College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

17 minutes ago, H11K said:

I really don't like UCLA, but damn those are sweet. I'll let the away slide without a number outline, because they now have a consistency with the blue.

I might be in the minority, but these uniforms look cheap to me. Not the design, but the materials used and how it's put together.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting observation: the home set has a thin gold number with the white outline, which gives it a little extra weight. The road set does not have an outline, but it has the same weight as if it did have the outline. The numbers are a little bit thicker. For example, pretend the white jersey had the normal blue number, plus a hidden blue outline with the same stroke width as the home set. But to the naked eye, it's a slightly thicker number.

Also, can't remember if Texas had been shown yet but they are moving to the new template.

I like the Bruins new UA set. Getting a Dallas Cowboy vibe with those sans outline blue road numbers, which is ironic as the Cowboys have long embraced that Hollywood image a few thousand miles away in north Texas.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So....

You CAN put a real shoulder stripe on a modern jersey cut.

No everybody else shut up. We were right, you were wrong.

So now the blame falls squarely on Nike for the Jets and Colts right? No more Swooshketeers riding in to defend their favourite shoe company?

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So....

You CAN put a real shoulder stripe on a modern jersey cut.

No everybody else shut up. We were right, you were wrong.

The lines for each set of stripes are different. UA uses the inside of the sleeve cap, Nike follows the seam between the yoke and sleeve cap. There does look to be some bunching, but it's not enough to take away from the look. The stripes are thinner as well which still doesn't take away from the look.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Good job by Under Armour on both Cal & UCLA's new uniforms, but ummmm when the F are they going to fix Maryland? I just think the University of Under Armour, College Park should have one of the brand's best looks.... They don't  -_-

Hotter Than July > Thriller

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The lines for each set of stripes are different. UA uses the inside of the sleeve cap, Nike follows the seam between the yoke and sleeve cap. There does look to be some bunching, but it's not enough to take away from the look. The stripes are thinner as well which still doesn't take away from the look.

THIS looks awesome;

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 6.19.01 PM.png

THIS looks... let's just say not awesome;

miss-12-whitegrey-bethhall-675x380.jpg

That's just the entire story.  Not much else to say.

22 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Good job by Under Armour on both Cal & UCLA's new uniforms, but ummmm when the F are they going to fix Maryland? I just think the University of Under Armour, College Park should have one of the brand's best looks.... They don't  -_-

When you literally wrap yourself in the state flag it limits what you're able to do with a brand. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

When you say UA uses the induce of the sleeve cap, what part are you referring to? UA already has probably the smallest sleeve caps of all the major brands.. These Ucla stripes are within the area that would normally be jersey body, and the sleeve caps are unaltered.. 

They use the inside seam as would be seen on the South Carolina shoulders as the inside of the UCLA stripe. And since the stripes are slimmer than LSU's they run straight down the inside of the sleeve cap. Under Armour's sleeve cap is the same size as Nike's on the newest template.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They use the inside seam as would be seen on the South Carolina shoulders as the inside of the UCLA stripe. And since the stripes are slimmer than LSU's they run straight down the inside of the sleeve cap. Under Armour's sleeve cap is the same size as Nike's on the newest template.

I think Maryland's uniforms are a more direct and accurate comparison in terms of template, sleeve shape, angle of the stripe, exact stripe location, and even stripe width.. In fact, I'd wager that Maryland's template was the starting point for creating the new Ucla stripes template..

35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

South Carolina switched to the same template as Maryland last year, so you're correct. I think Toledo would have as well if they didn't switch to Nike.

I'm a bit embarrassed for not realizing SC switched.. Especially considering I was in their equipment room holding Bentley's jersey a month ago.. 

But ok, we're on the same page though, I think.. The way you described it just threw me off.. It sounded like you were suggesting that UA uses sleeve cap real estate for the stripes, which I now think we both agree they do not.. The sleeve cap remains standard for that basic template, and the stripes are on the other side (torso side) of the sleeve cap seam..

The confusing part to me was how you differentiated UA from Nike.. I'd consider the two to be essentially the same (at least on Nike's previous template), and still pretty much the same with the exception of the way the stripe terminates at the new unnecessary seam (which does, as you suggested, contain it only in the yoke area).. They're using the same sleeve cap seam, Nike's just stopping it sooner than UA.. 

I think I said what we both (I think) agree on.. 

Onto the SC template change and possibility of Toledo making the switch-

I always hated that template for every application imaginable other than a solid jersey.. The goofy, square, faux sleeves don't hold any kind of stripe well at all, and look horrible in the contrast-color sleeve cap application (like Toledo used) because the sleeve color ended before it visually should have, and the jersey body committee was visible where sleeve color should be.. Part of the issue is the aforementioned awkwardly shaped sleeve caps, but the other issue is that horrible cuff-to-collar panel/seam.. It blocked off Toledo's sleeve cap colors and SC's shoulder stripes, making both designs appear unfinished and cheap imo.. So glad SC switched templates, and more should follow..

As for Bentley's (old) jersey, here it is..

IMG_0707.PNG

Archived