College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

UCLA's new look is beautiful. The colors look great, the stripes look amazing, and they kept the tail on the helmet logo. I think the single color numbers on the road work really well, and as was pointed out, it's a carryover from basketball, which is a good sign for having a cohesive look across all sports that didn't draw cues just from football. And I love that there's no random wordmarks, sublimation, or other subtle design twists thrown in. It's just a straight up classic football uniform.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Webfooter said:

More shots of the uniforms

DEyr9aOV0AAoyvX.jpgDEyvr7KVwAEeb8_.jpg

I love these UCLA uniforms. Under Armour is coming out strong this year with all there uniforms. All white on the road is a good away look but I hope they throw in the gold pants on the road occasionally. I will miss the Navy in the uniform, maybe they'll add a navy alternate. Overall I feel this set looks good and brings UCLA back to what it should be.

Grade: A-

21 hours ago, Squeezee12 said:

UCLA's UA unis

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

21 hours ago, uuh70 said:

Credit UA for finally getting the shoulder stripes right, but man, does that single color number ruin the away uniform. 

38139_web.sp.10.27.strongside.column.pic

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer UCLA accented in Navy on the road. 

18 hours ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

The white looks way classy with no outline on the numbers. UCLA in navy blue is a bad look. IMHO

Truth be told, I think single color numbers is the right look for UCLA’s uniform. I would have even gone with solid white numbers on the home (like they used to be way back when).

The small outline on the home numbers creates a scale clash with the large stripes. There’s literally nothing else on either uniform that shares the heavy fill/thin outline look of the home numbers, while the single color number does a much better job of echoing the proportion of the thick outer stripe meeting the jersey color. They just need to be thinned out a little, as someone mentioned.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

45 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The small outline on the home numbers creates a scale clash with the large stripes. There’s literally nothing else on either uniform that shares the heavy fill/thin outline look of the home numbers, while the single color number does a much better job of echoing the proportion of the thick outer stripe meeting the jersey color. They just need to be thinned out a little, as someone mentioned.

Numbers have never been compared to stripes, as they are two different functions.  The Patriots' red jerseys in the 80s weren't docked points because the numbers didn't match the scale of the stripes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Truth be told, I think single color numbers is the right look for UCLA’s uniform. I would have even gone with solid white numbers on the home (like they used to be way back when).

agree 100% on the numbers and i think this font works best in one color too. how the outer stroke on the number closes up on the serif (see the 6) annoys me a bit— but, i still like where they ended up. i think with the home jersey because the whole concept is about this classic look, having a white number would look off. it wouldn't be traditional, but would be this new design that i think would probably feel stuck between eras. so in using the gold number, you probably need the outline (or a drop shadow as they've done before) to make it legible. it definitely isn't what i would like to have seen done if this were a brand new team, but this does feel more like UCLA. 

40 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Numbers have never been compared to stripes, as they are two different functions.  The Patriots' red jerseys in the 80s weren't docked points because the numbers didn't match the scale of the stripes.

it's all part of the same design and every detail should work together. unless you're going to break it for a good reason like i described above. you can look to UCLA's previous Adidas jerseys to see how the stripes and numbers are at odds with one another. it ends up feeling as though each element was designed independently from the other and it looks cheap. the worst case scenario is something like the Browns, where the stripes and wordmark dominate the jersey so much, it makes the numbers hard to read— they're very distracting. when something is off like Andrew describes, its like one guy in a band that isn't playing in key. but again, for UCLA, we'll just say it's "visual jazz" :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

it's all part of the same design and every detail should work together. unless you're going to break it for a good reason like i described above. you can look to UCLA's previous Adidas jerseys to see how the stripes and numbers are at odds with one another. it ends up feeling as though each element was designed independently from the other and it looks cheap. the worst case scenario is something like the Browns, where the stripes and wordmark dominate the jersey so much, it makes the numbers hard to read— they're very distracting. when something is off like Andrew describes, its like one guy in a band that isn't playing in key. but again, for UCLA, we'll just say it's "visual jazz" :)

I realize you guys are design gurus, but I don't agree 100%.  There are many uniforms where everything is not perfect but it's still a great uniform.  So it's more like the trumpets are playing a different melody than the flutes, but it's all comes together and sounds fantastic.

If these shoulder stripes had thick gold stripes and thin white stripes it'd look really gimmicky.  As is, it looks traditional.

To me, the guy out of key would be like a Vegas gold helmet but neon yellow stripes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So now the blame falls squarely on Nike for the Jets and Colts right? No more Swooshketeers riding in to defend their favourite shoe company?

No, because it's not just a Nike problem. Adidas is a million times worse when it comes to shoulder stripes.

a0IBlPD.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

24 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

No, because it's not just a Nike problem. Adidas is a million times worse when it comes to shoulder stripes.

a0IBlPD.jpg

That's only on the TechFit ShockWeb template.. They have other templates that have better stripes.. Closer to Nike's version 

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

And they weren't better

IMG_3725.JPG

Ok..

That's only on the TechFit ShockWeb and TechFit PrimeKnit templates.. They have other templates that have better stripes.. Closer to Nike's version..

And they certainly ARE better.

As evidenced by LaTech.

IMG_0708.JPG

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I realize you guys are design gurus, but I don't agree 100%.  There are many uniforms where everything is not perfect but it's still a great uniform.  So it's more like the trumpets are playing a different melody than the flutes, but it's all comes together and sounds fantastic.

yea, there is a disconnect between designers and audience. Andrew isn't saying you can't like something that is "off" but saying to him it's OK for it to be off (or, still be great) is like saying "it's OK for you to half ass your job because no one cares". and a lot of times the way we (designers) speak might come off as we're "gatekeepers of good design" or some :censored:, but honestly, you won't find many craftsmen like Andrew, and the details of the craft is something we both geek over. i wish i knew how to bridge this gap because i don't think "it just has to look good" does anything positive for sports design, but when we push reason and "why" in design a lot of people (not you) believe we're just making things up or pushing some marketing agenda. i don't know— i feel like we're all having one conversation in two different languages sometimes. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

love UCLA's new uniforms. I always hated the navy helmet logo and navy's presence on the aways, and those shoulder stripes look great. I hated the longer shoulder stripes that Nike used for Ole Miss and LSU, but UnderArmour executed it way better. My only complaints would be that I'd prefer a gold outline on the away numbers and for gold pants to be the primary on the road. But it's college football, so I'm sure they'll mix and match plenty.

Looking at the Adidas UCLA sets from before is astonishing. I knew it wasn't great, but seeing this update really puts into perspective how bad those uniforms were. 

58 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Ok..

That's only on the TechFit ShockWeb and TechFit PrimeKnit templates.. They have other templates that have better stripes.. Closer to Nike's version..

And they certainly ARE better.

As evidenced by LaTech.

IMG_0708.JPG

That's the same look as what LSU and Mississippi will wear this year as well. It's not a better look.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, bowld said:

Ucla has been wearing white pants on the road for a few years now. I would expect to see them quite a bit 

I remember them going G/W/W for TA&M - guess I didn't realize that had become their road look. Still prefer them in G/W/G. Regardless - Adidas' fabrics and templates did them no favors, so its an improved look either way.

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

a0IBlPD.jpg

Not just being a Nike problem doesn't mean it isn't a Nike problem. 

Archived