College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Webfooter said:

More shots of the uniforms

DEyr9aOV0AAoyvX.jpgDEyvr7KVwAEeb8_.jpg

Somewhat off topic: I've been looking at UCLA's new jerseys ever since they were unveiled. I can't help but wonder if Under Armour could make a better version of a NY Jets style jersey that Nike has done so far. Seems like all any team would need to do is make the sleeve caps the same color as the outer shoulder stripes. Guess we'll find out once UA makes that template available to the general public. Some high school or lower division college program is bound to do it sooner or later.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, noleseveryday said:

What about those Desert Ice uniforms like Arizona State. Instead of the Orange we could do a gold and garnet spear.

As an ASU fan, no. Worst uniforms we have ever worn. Makes no God damned sense. Whoever came up with desert ice should be hung, drawn and quartered and have their remains burned at various spots around Tempe before parading the ashes down Mill Avenue before we take turns :censored:ting on the ashes. TLDR: No

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

12 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

As an ASU fan, no. Worst uniforms we have ever worn. Makes no God damned sense. Whoever came up with desert ice should be hung, drawn and quartered and have their remains burned at various spots around Tempe before parading the ashes down Mill Avenue before we take turns :censored:ting on the ashes. TLDR: No

?that's a little violent. 

i kind of of agree with @noleseverydayabout the Desert Ice uniforms. I like them. Please don't burn me in Tempe when I enroll there in the future.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In your first post on this, you didn't ask "In what world is that a great uniform?"... you asked "in what world are these uniforms better than what dsaline posted?"

So, again...

This one.

At the risk of restarting a huge argument (and also ignoring the fact that you didnt address a single point I made in that post), I'm very curious as to what your reasoning is for why the modern black/yellow/black mizzou uniform is better than the older mono black uniform (which is an odd position from you because I know you HATE monochrome). Because from what I can tell the only reason is that it's simpler and older, which to me seems like a very intellectually lazy position to take.

6 hours ago, noleseveryday said:

What about those Desert Ice uniforms like Arizona State. Instead of the Orange we could do a gold and garnet spear.

What about those Arizona Ice Tea cans? Those are snazzy, too.

21844.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

5 hours ago, noleseveryday said:

You guys are stubborn. I'd personally would like to see some. We'd only wear them in special games.

We're not stubborn, we just don't like :censored:ty uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

36 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

At the risk of restarting a huge argument (and also ignoring the fact that you didnt address a single point I made in that post), I'm very curious as to what your reasoning is for why the modern black/yellow/black mizzou uniform is better than the older mono black uniform (which is an odd position from you because I know you HATE monochrome). Because from what I can tell the only reason is that it's simpler and older, which to me seems like a very intellectually lazy position to take.

When discussing the Cincinnati Bengals current uniform on these boards, someone once described them as being less of a sports uniform worn by a team named after a tiger, and more "tiger costume", as though the players were on their way to a masquerade ball.  To maybe a slightly lesser degree, I get the same vibe from these;

HaroldBrantley_2013_0.jpg?itok=p4hzOCJk

As far as the black/gold/black combination, you're right, I definitely prefer it to all black monochrome, but let's be honest... the current uniform has been worn as a mono-combo also;

imac-notes-0919-400x280.jpeg

Or let me come at this from a different direction.  Years ago, in an undergraduate life drawing class, during a critique I watched and listened to the professor destroy one of my classmates.  What made it worse for the poor guy was he had been pretty sure he was awesome... he had taught himself quite a few drawing "tricks" and was using pretty much all of them.  There was no line, no mark, no texture, no shade he left out. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were quite a few lines he just made up on the spot. 27 years later, I don't remember much of what the prof actually said, but one thing stuck in my head, and I say it all the time to my students... If you can communicate everything you want in three lines, then use three lines. Everything else is just useless clutter. 

More often than not, less is more.  For my favorite Missouri Tiger's uniform, were going to have to go a little further back...

1985_wallace.jpg

58 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

When discussing the Cincinnati Bengals current uniform on these boards, someone once described them as being less of a sports uniform worn by a team named after a tiger, and more "tiger costume", as though the players were on their way to a masquerade ball.  To maybe a slightly lesser degree, I get the same vibe from these;

As far as the black/gold/black combination, you're right, I definitely prefer it to all black monochrome, but let's be honest... the current uniform has been worn as a mono-combo also;

Or let me come at this from a different direction.  Years ago, in an undergraduate life drawing class, during a critique I watched and listened to the professor destroy one of my classmates.  What made it worse for the poor guy was he had been pretty sure he was awesome... he had taught himself quite a few drawing "tricks" and was using pretty much all of them.  There was no line, no mark, no texture, no shade he left out. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were quite a few lines he just made up on the spot. 27 years later, I don't remember much of what the prof actually said, but one thing stuck in my head, and I say it all the time to my students... If you can communicate everything you want in three lines, then use three lines. Everything else is just useless clutter. 

More often than not, less is more.  For my favorite Missouri Tiger's uniform, were going to have to go a little further back...

1985_wallace.jpg

The problem with this otherwise pleasant vintage Mizzou look is that the helmet's block "M" looks too much like Michigan's.

21 minutes ago, schtee said:

The problem with this otherwise pleasant vintage Mizzou look is that the helmet's block "M" looks too much like Michigan's.

The lack of white on the numbers and mustard outline on the M is a big issue. But since TTUN never wears block M's on the helnet I'd never draw that comparison. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The lack of white on the numbers and mustard outline on the M is a big issue. But since TTUN never wears block M's on the helnet I'd never draw that comparison. 

I'm a sucker for single layer numbers, especially gold or silver on dark, so that's actually a plus for me. As for the block M being white... Yeah, giving it the same treatment as the numbers would probably be more cohesive and I might go that way. On the other hand, there's something appealing about the classic CFB quirks you used to see all the time, back when uniforms were more likely picked out by a coach or equipment manager.

As for the comparison of Missouri's M with Michigan's. I'm with you... Who cares?

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it's just a solid white M.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

1985_wallace.jpg

Interesting. I don't totally disagree with your reasoning, however I think you're mis-applying it here. In particular, I think you are grossly over stating how complex the mizzou uniforms are. You're calling them costumes (which is an empty insult, by the standard any uniform with a theme that's not just traditional generic striping is a costume, which even then you're implying that anything that is a costume is inherently bad design) I think really only has relevancy as far as they have a theme. Which I think just at face value is kind of true, they are very much trying to imitate a tiger with it's design. However your implication that they are complex is way off base. There are two colors on the whole uniform (which looking at it again, my previous complaint that it needs white is probably wrong, that would make it too busy), no stripes on the helmet, and 4 stripes on both the pants and the jersey. Whereas the uniform you posted has 3 colors on the pants and the helmet, both with different schemes, 6 stripes on the pants alone, and jersey numbers that are a different color than the helmet logo. Don't get me wrong, I like the uniform that you posted, however it's interesting to me that you make the statement implying you only need to use 3 lines, when the uniform you posted clearly needed more than three lines to do so, with 3 different colors I may add.

Your comparison to the Cincinatti Bengals uniform is also way off base. I agree, the bengals uniform is a disaster, with a potentially good idea gone horribly wrong, however I don't see how this

cin-04-11-whitetop-russelltracy-vert-620

Is just as busy as horribly mangled as the mizzou one. I have to wonder if you're really just grouping all modern "costumes" into the same group and assuming the same things about them, there just isn't any other explanation as to why you think those two uniforms are even comparable.

I'll admit, I'm not a design student, so this isn't my field of expertise. However I am a music composition/production major, and a lover of all sorts of art, so I think I can understand your points. I 100% agree, if you only need 3 lines, use 3 lines. One of the biggest mistakes a newbie comp student does is write pieces with a lot of notes, but very few chords, making it seem much more complex than it actually is. These are Chopin wannabes who don't have the talent to match what he made, but want to think they're really intelligent (which to be fair, was totally me in high school). That said, I think you're missing all of the other implications of that point, namely that sometimes things take more than 3 lines to say, and sometimes what's said in only 3 lines is just really :censored:ing boring. I think the mizzou uniform doesn't even really take more than 3 lines, but the original uniform posted definitely needs more than it's basically 2 lines it took to make a good design. The helmet alone is great, however there isn't a single other design element on the rest of the uniform, and in that case I think it desperately needs at least one extra line.

I appreciate your insight as someone who works in this field, however I think you need to realize the other implications of what your professor said. If everyone only took 3 lines to say what they need to say, then many of our books would only be 140 characters.

17 minutes ago, Blazersfan38 said:

Only one bfbs home game for the ducks this year?

IMG_2152.JPG

Oh good, we're a yellow game. The red will pop that much more. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, Blazersfan38 said:

Only one bfbs home game for the ducks this year?

IMG_2152.JPG

You always have to take these with a grain of salt. The first few years they put the color guides out, the colors for each game generally corresponded with the uniforms fairly well, but that hasn't been the case nearly as much the last couple of years. That said, based on the information that's been made available about the uniforms for this upcoming season, as well as some inside info I've recently received from people connected with the football program and athletic department as a whole, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the black uniform elements were mostly saved for just that Utah game. That's not to say they won't wear black in limited capacities in some other games, but I wouldn't expect it to be quite as omnipresent as the last several years.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Interesting. I don't totally disagree with your reasoning, however I think you're mis-applying it here. In particular, I think you are grossly over stating how complex the mizzou uniforms are. You're calling them costumes (which is an empty insult, by the standard any uniform with a theme that's not just traditional generic striping is a costume, which even then you're implying that anything that is a costume is inherently bad design) I think really only has relevancy as far as they have a theme. Which I think just at face value is kind of true, they are very much trying to imitate a tiger with it's design. However your implication that they are complex is way off base. There are two colors on the whole uniform (which looking at it again, my previous complaint that it needs white is probably wrong, that would make it too busy), no stripes on the helmet, and 4 stripes on both the pants and the jersey. Whereas the uniform you posted has 3 colors on the pants and the helmet, both with different schemes, 6 stripes on the pants alone, and jersey numbers that are a different color than the helmet logo. Don't get me wrong, I like the uniform that you posted, however it's interesting to me that you make the statement implying you only need to use 3 lines, when the uniform you posted clearly needed more than three lines to do so, with 3 different colors I may add.

I appreciate your insight as someone who works in this field, however I think you need to realize the other implications of what your professor said. If everyone only took 3 lines to say what they need to say, then many of our books would only be 140 characters.

Well, first off, I don't work in the graphic design field. I paint and my degree is in fine art, not what we used to call "commercial art" (and trust me, there's absolutely nothing commercial about what I paint... unfortunately).  I teach some Drawing, some Art Appreciation, but mostly I teach what we call Foundation Design, which again, is not Graphic Design, it's like a beginning composition and color class that anybody going into a visual field needs for the basics.

And secondly, I think you're taking my old prof's "3 lines" rant way too literally. His point was, you need to know when to stop, and when you've over-designed something that would've been more effective if left simpler. He never said everything should only use three lines (not sure how you got that)... what he said was IF you can say what you need to say with three lines, THEN use three lines.

And lastly, when I brought up the Bengals' uniform, I said Missouri's was only similar to a lesser degree. I'm not sure exactly how I got into this conversation where it looks like I'm savagely ripping apart Missouri's current uniform.  To be honest, I hadn't given it this much thought before.

(But I think you're wrong about the "only two colors" thing... there's clearly a gray outline around the numbers.)

Archived