Scheuer's College Football Jersey Concepts (Army West Point Added)

Scheuer

Title.png

College football has always been one of my passions. The jerseys and uniform history is one of the primary reasons. Each school has their own unique identity, whether it be school colors, rivalries, or traditions. My redesign series is to take these identities and manifest them in a different concept jersey for each school. Tradition and identity is the driving factor behind everything that I design, and this series will be no different. So, get the meat on the grill, pour yourself a cold one and put on some drumline music, and enjoy my college football redesign series!

Designed Schools

Ohio State

Hawaii

Oregon

Army West Point

Ohio State.png

First up is Ohio State. I really enjoyed the jerseys that the Buckeyes wore against Michigan in The Game this year. The helmet was a cool look for them, but something was off about the uniform as a whole. It seemed like there should be something else on the helmet, and the helmet didn't really match the pants. It was a good concept that wasn't really executed very well. I decided that I wanted to come up with a better looking concept using the helmet and creating a different set of pants for the uniform. Here is what I came up with.

fullset_2.png

I kept the jersey and socks the same. The first big change I made was with the helmet. The side helmet decal is a large modified version of the buckeye stickers worn on the normal helmets. "Ohio" is spelt out across the back of the helmet, reminiscent of the Maryland Pride helmets that the Terps wear. The pants are the other modification. Instead of their silver color, they match the helmet. They are also emblazoned with an outline of the state of Ohio. This uniform is my take on a  pride uniform, only to be worn in big occasions like The Game. It is crisp and classic, staying true to Ohio State's identity while changing up some elements of the jersey.

All C&C is greatly appreciated. Suggest schools that I should take on next below!

36 minutes ago, ATolly66 said:

I can barely see "Ohio" on the back of the helmet. Try using either gray or scarlet. Also, try adding an outline to the Buckeye on the helmet. 

I kind of wanted "Ohio" to be pretty subtle, but I'll try changing up the Buckeye sticker with the outline.

Not feeling the black helmet and pants.  They're scarlet and grey.  This feels like black for black's sake like the early 00s in the NFL.  I like the idea of implementing the buckeye on the helmet.

mainescarf.png

Hawaii.png

Now, for a hopefully less offensive concept, the University of Hawaii. Hawaii's old throwback uniforms are probably the best jerseys in college football history. They're crisp, unique, and have great tradition and history behind them. Their current uniforms are nice too, but I think their old set just stands out more and has more character. I set out to modernize the throwback uniforms for Hawaii to use as their full time set. I wanted to mix some of the current Hawaii logos and elements while mostly readopting the rainbow design. Here is the jersey I came up with.

fullset.png

Starting with the helmet, I liked the look of a white helmet for the set but didn't really like the retro UH logo. I had a lot of different designs, but I went with a rainbow design on the bottom similar to the Navy Dress Whites alternate uniform from a few years back, with a Hawaii H logo on the sides. I felt like this represented both sides of the program's history in a pretty modern and unique way. Next, the jersey. I used the shade of green Hawaii currently uses instead of a brighter kelley green. As sleevecaps are becoming more and more popular, I moved the rainbow pattern to the sleeves. The numbers are white in a classic typeface. The pants are a simple white, with a half rainbow stripe design. The socks are green, featuring a rainbow pattern on the back. Overall, the uniform incorporates both modern and retro looks to bring both eras of Hawaii football together.

C&C and suggestions for teams to design much appreciated.

Oregon.png

I have a few designs lying around my hard drive, one of them being Oregon. When you do an Oregon concept, coming up with wacky stuff is always pretty tempting just because of how crazy their uniforms have been over the years. Every constraint on school colors, common school themes and the like pretty much goes out the window with the Ducks. However, I wanted to bring them back to earth a bit. I wanted to get Oregon a bit back to the old school, especially enforcing the green and yellow color pallet, but build off of the new motifs and identity they have created in recent years.

fullset.png

A big inspiration for this jersey was the Webfoots design debuted at the spring game and then was used later in the year. I loved the retro crossed UO logo and wanted to apply it as a primary mark in a green and gold uniform. I also thought the duck foot element was a cool thing that could be added on the uniform. Starting with the helmet, these elements from the Webfoots uniform are pretty obvious. The UO logo is prominently featured on the sides of the helmet. The duck feet stickers are stickers that players earn with on field performance, like the Buckeye stickers at Ohio State or the axes at Florida State. A small Oregon state flag, in the Ducks' colors, is also featured on the back. The jerseys use a different template than Oregon has had in the past. The feather pattern is moved to act as sleevecaps, a much more sleek and subtle design than what we have seen in the past. The cartoon duck logo occupies the sleeves, with TV numbers on the shoulders. The number uses the same font the team has used in the past few years. The pants and socks are pretty orthodox, providing contrast to the green elements of the jersey. The uniform as a whole mixes a lot of traditional elements of Oregon's history with new motifs.

As always, all C&C and team suggestions are much appreciated!

ArmyWestPoint.png

This is another design that I had lying around my hard drive. Army West Point has a great look, especially with the new Nike rebrand this year. Their look is super classic and traditional, but I wanted to play around with some elements a bit without messing with their traditional look too much. There are so many possible elements to incorporate with their military background, which makes designing Army West Point really interesting. Here is what I came up with.

fullset.png

I really like the idea of position group logos, something Army has experimented with in the past few Army-Navy games. I wanted to implement these ideas to their day to day uniforms. Each position group will meet at the beginning of the season and pick an Army division they want to represent. The black and gold logos of these divisions will be put on the right side of their helmets and right sleeve. For this concept I used the 82nd Airborne logo. "Beat Navy" is also subtly implemented throughout the uniform, including on the back side of the helmet. The helmet is a traditional Army helmet, with the division logo on the side. The jersey is traditional, using the same stencil numbers and name patch as normal. The American flag patch has been moved from the shoulder to above the name patch. The biggest design change is a sublimated chevron pattern on the sleeves. This is meant to channel the Army officer patch and is a reminder to always be striving to be better. "Beat Navy" is emblazoned on the inside of the collar. The pants are the classic gold pants with the sublimated chevron pattern on the bottom of the right leg. The socks are a simple black and gold. Overall, I didn't make too many changes but just had some fun with different aspects of the uniform.

All feedback, C&C, and team suggestions welcome below!

Archived