2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

Wait....

Jared Cook made a clutch reception to help win the game for Green Bay?!

WTF.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Now we'll find out if the Patriots defense is as good as their stats indicate or if it was because of the lack of facing great QB's.

They avoided Big Ben earlier this year, Brady lost to the one good QB he faced (Russell Wilson), and let's not forget the Derek Carr injury.

"Avoided"? No he was hurt and that's how the schedule fell. Don't know how tha Carr injury relates to the pats at all unless you mean he could have played against them last week instead of the Texans but that is assuming they win too. And they didn't lose to just Russell Wilson, he was barely a factor in the game. The defense was and they got the stop on the goal line that ended the game.

8 hours ago, dont care said:

"Avoided"? No he was hurt and that's how the schedule fell. Don't know how tha Carr injury relates to the pats at all unless you mean he could have played against them last week instead of the Texans but that is assuming they win too. And they didn't lose to just Russell Wilson, he was barely a factor in the game. The defense was and they got the stop on the goal line that ended the game.

3 TDs and 350 yards. Barely a factor?

IUe6Hvh.png

18 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

So, all but one Super Bowl since the 2003 season has had either the Patriots, Steelers, or Peyton Manning. Super Bowl XLVII is starting to look more like a blessing in disguise.

Take it back two years and the only different QBs besides the "Top 3" are Joe Flacco and...Rich Gannon. 

What?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

12 hours ago, dont care said:

It is how the schedule fell, but don't tell me that first game wouldn't have been different if Ben had played.

NSFCvyu.png

C2ipGN6WQAAlCPD.jpg

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. WRONG. NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE. WRONG. NO. 

It's more like the Evil Empire vs. some lower ranking generals also in the empire. I don't argue the Patriots role as the evil empire, but the Steelers in the role of the plucky upstart rebels? Hell no. The Steelers are not the good guys. They haven't been the good guys since before the 70's. I refuse to let people think of them as the noble cause in this game. There are no winners in the AFC. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It's more like the Evil Empire vs. some lower ranking generals also in the empire. I don't argue the Patriots role as the evil empire, but the Steelers in the role of the plucky upstart rebels? Hell no. The Steelers are not the good guys. They haven't been the good guys since before the 70's. I refuse to let people think of them as the noble cause in this game. There are no winners in the AFC. 

I second that. Pittsburgh and New England are both loathsome teams to root for.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

C2ipGN6WQAAlCPD.jpg

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. WRONG. NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE. WRONG. NO. 

This. 

I'm still running with "League of Shadows vs. Imperial Empire". Evil's spilling out of the AFC either way, it's just a matter of whether that's in the form of Bane Roethlisberger or Darth Brady.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Falcons are the only team worthy of having their logo on the (huh, I did not even think of this) Millenium Falcon.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I second that. Pittsburgh and New England are both loathsome teams to root for.

Wait.  I started to like this then realized...

You're a Cowboy fan.  It doesn't matter how many years of failure they go through, there's still the team that dubbed themselves "America's team". The Cowboys invented the very concept of a universally loathsome football team.

22 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait.  I started to like this then realized...

You're a Cowboy fan.  It doesn't matter how many years of failure they go through, there's still the team that dubbed themselves "America's team". The Cowboys invented the very concept of a universally loathsome football team.

I get all that.  But the Packers are also self-dubbed America's Team and everyone who does not cheer for the Lions/Vikings/Bears likes them.  (Admittedly, I don't know how those two teams did it...was it the Cowboys team that actually did that?  Because I think the  Packer version is the fanbase thinking that the Packers are more than a football team and I guess it's worse if it came from an official source.)

In fact, despite my post above, I know the Atlanta paper could never have made that graphic because even people there would say "the Packers are the Empire?  I don't think so!"  Maybe they could do David and Goliath but not good vs. evil.

I guess my point is that I actually don't find the Cowboys that loathsome...there have been times when I have but I think given their place over the last several years, that's just gone for me.  Or maybe I have no point and I just found the door to bitch about the Packers open a crack.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

8 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

So...only the bad teams are the good guys then? :huh: I can't wait for Jacksonville to liberate us then.

Yes. Absolutely. The Saints winning in 2009 - infinitely more fun story than the Steelers winning in 2008. Everybody thought so. If the Jaguars win the Super Bowl it'll be more fun than another Steelers super bowl. The same 5 markets always winning isn't good for the NFL. 

You don't get to be successful and play the role of the good guys. You can have one or the other. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I get all that.  But the Packers are also self-dubbed America's Team and everyone who does not cheer for the Lions/Vikings/Bears likes them.  (Admittedly, I don't know how those two teams did it...was it the Cowboys team that actually did that?  Because I think the  Packer version is the fanbase thinking that the Packers are more than a football team and I guess it's worse if it came from an official source.)

In fact, despite my post above, I know the Atlanta paper could never have made that graphic because even people there would say "the Packers are the Empire?  I don't think so!"  Maybe they could do David and Goliath but not good vs. evil.

I guess my point is that I actually don't find the Cowboys that loathsome...there have been times when I have but I think given their place over the last several years, that's just gone for me.  Or maybe I have no point and I just found the door to bitch about the Packers open a crack.

NFL Films coined the Cowboys as "America's Team" back in the early 70's.

The Packers are just as insufferable as the Cowboys IMO. They try to act as the "good guys" but come across as smug and arrogant.

Of course this assumes the whole "good guys - bad guys" argument is legitimate, which is comical.

NSFCvyu.png

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Yes. Absolutely. The Saints winning in 2009 - infinitely more fun story than the Steelers winning in 2008. Everybody thought so. If the Jaguars win the Super Bowl it'll be more fun than another Steelers super bowl. The same 5 markets always winning isn't good for the NFL. 

You don't get to be successful and play the role of the good guys. You can have one or the other. 

The Packers disagree.

If they win the next ten Super Bowl's, they'll still be the second-favorite team of most NFL fans.

But for the most part, yeah...winning brings with it a certain amount of dislike from neutral fans...I wish cheered for a team that everyone hated.

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

So...only the bad teams are the good guys then? :huh: I can't wait for Jacksonville to liberate us then.

Thats oftentimes how a lot of "sports narrative" that we write in our heads, so to say, works. Not all the time - the Packers or perhaps even the 49ers seem to be exceptions - but most of the time.

I mean really, what's a better sounding story to the general public, "underdog wins it all" or "Goliath conquers again"?

"Amputee Jedi and his sister the Princess lead rebels to stunning victory" or "Imperial Empire smothers rebellion?"

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

The Packers disagree.

If they win the next ten Super Bowl's, they'll still be the second-favorite team of most NFL fans.

But for the most part, yeah...winning brings with it a certain amount of dislike from neutral fans...I wish cheered for a team that everyone hated.

The Packers are a unique case in sports. I'm fatigued by them, everybody knows an annoying Packers fan who by all rights shouldn't be a Packers fan, but their QB never raped anyone, and their center isn't best friends with Aaron Hernandez, and their coach never tried to trip an opposing player or pulled an opposing player's hair. Also, I know about thousand Steelers fans with no connection to Pittsburgh so in a battle two evils, from my perspective, the choice is easy. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Seahawks showed that you can be an upstart and hated at the exact same time. I think the Ravens were also like that in 2000.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Ravens superstar player was a recent alleged-murderer, and the Seahawks had a very successful college coach with some 9/11 rumors to his name that had won a game most symbolic of the replacement referees era just a year prior. Obviously, if you want to open up the can of worms, we could dissect this stuff in perpetuity; suffice it to say, there were some easy enough reasons for those teams to be loathed even in the lead-up to winning their Super Bowls.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The Ravens superstar player was a recent alleged-murderer, and the Seahawks had a very successful college coach with some 9/11 rumors to his name that had won a game most symbolic of the replacement referees era just a year prior. Obviously, if you want to open up the can of worms, we could dissect this stuff in perpetuity; suffice it to say, there were some easy enough reasons for those teams to be loathed even in the lead-up to winning their Super Bowls.

To add to that, Richard Sherman had and still has a way for rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, so there was that and the vibe the team took on in that regard. 

I wasnt in that camp myself, I didn't mind then and still don't mind the Seahawks, but I do understand where thier detractors are coming from.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived